Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well in it the main male character is also a victim of Hannah Baker's sadistic mind games with her tapes and everything. Hannah wasn't exactly a very sympathizeable character. She was smart, beautiful, had a good home environment but threw it all away by killing herself for mostly trivial reasons, bordering on narcissistic way of thinking. She was in total control of herself and her suicide was her own conscious decision, not everyone else's like the show kept saying.

They also have a male character who comes from a very bad home environment with a drug addict mother with a string of abusive boyfriends as well as an awkward boy who is bullied and outcasted by the school. These two were the more sympathizeable characters who were perhaps had more of a reason to kill themselves than Hannah. If it were Tumblr nonsense, these two male characters wouldn't have their problems portrayed.

Depends I guess.

Still seems like it's following a tumblr narrative. Men have agency and women don't. She killed herself because of those around her.. even if the reasons are trivial to people like us. Tumblr feminism dictates that every slight against a woman is a huge deal. Not sure if the men you listed killed themselves or not.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,163,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If I remember correctly, one becomes homeless or at least moves out, one seems to be preparing to commit a school shooting, and another male character attempts suicide out of guilt for what he's done.

Lol.. sounding more Buzzfeedy too me..

Yeah.. sounding more and more like a feminist show. Remember the modern feminist motto.. "woman victim, man bad".

There's a reason why it's garnering so much controversy. Ironically, some of the people Hannah makes tapes about are actually more sympathizeable than her to so many critics of the show.

Yeah, of course some critics will be able to think outside feminist dogma. Which is sad for the makers of this show, because not everyone is going to applause and feel sympathy for a emotionally masochistic/narcissistic female character who seems to conform to the core buzzfeed demographic.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,163,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Meanwhile a woman was recently sentenced for encouraging her boyfriend to commit suicide. Because she wanted to be the "grieving" victim hogging girlfriend.. lol.

She wanted to attain her special masochistic crown of victim-hood that she see's glorified on websites like tumblr and buzzfeed and apparently this Netflix show you are describing.

Upvote 0

Journey.In.Grace

Daughter of the One True King
Sep 2, 2013
Texas, US
✟159,573.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
I used to like Supernatural but the past three seasons have been horrible. I do, however, love Fringe and your older shows such as Full House, Family Matters, Fresh Prince of Bel-air, Step by Step, and the Nanny.

Reactions: RayofSun
Upvote 0

MustardSeeed

Ambivert
Mar 7, 2017
canada
✟40,822.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I love the movie Coraline for some reason. I could re-watch it over and over again
I have a thing for certain animated movies like James and the Giant Peach, Antz, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory OG, etc.

The last show I watched was How to Get Away with Murder. Season 3 sucked so I don't plan on finishing it

Narcos and Bates Motel are two of my fav shows as of late
I'll prob re-watch them too lol
I loved Hereos and Smallville in it's time.. the first few seasons were so good

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Aaron Sorkin is a literary titan.

He's the best in the business at screenwriting and creates these brilliantly layered and nuanced characters, and he is unquestionably the best at writing dialogue I have ever seen.

His two most well-known TV credits:
1. The West Wing
2. The Newsroom

Some of his best film credits:
1. Charlie Wilson's War
2. The Social Network
3. Moneyball
4. Steve Jobs

I'm on my third pass through The Newsroom this summer, just about to start season three. It is utterly and completely perfect in my opinion as a filmmaker.

• Agree
Reactions: LadyOfMystery
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Travelers.Soul

Traveler; Dreamer; Warrior; Coffee lover
Aug 15, 2010
Land of the Horse
✟132,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I used to love Lost and a whole host of TV shows....now TV tends to get on my nerves unless it's some kind of documentary show, british drama/masterpiece, or show that has moved to Netflix.

Movies....The latest movie I've seen that I thought was outstanding was Hacksaw Ridge.

Upvote 0

Rigatoni

Redeemed Resident Italian
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2014
Southern U.S.
✟222,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Currently watching Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides. Although, I liked the earlier POTC movies a lot more - Blackbeard didn't seem like that much of an antagonist, unlike Davy Jones. Haven't seen the newest movie yet, however.

Upvote 0

LadyOfMystery

Heart of Gold
Mar 25, 2007
North Carolina
✟279,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Aaron Sorkin is a literary titan.

He's the best in the business at screenwriting and creates these brilliantly layered and nuanced characters, and he is unquestionably the best at writing dialogue I have ever seen.

His two most well-known TV credits:
1. The West Wing
2. The Newsroom

Some of his best film credits:
1. Charlie Wilson's War
2. The Social Network
3. Moneyball
4. Steve Jobs

I'm on my third pass through The Newsroom this summer, just about to start season three. It is utterly and completely perfect in my opinion as a filmmaker.

The Social Network is one of my favorite movies.

Moneyball is a movie I recommend to anyone and everyone.

The Newsroom is amazing.

I've never seen Charlie Wilson's War but my mom has and she said it was great, so I guess I'll be watching that soon too. :p And I've not seen Steve Jobs yet.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,163,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Saw it twice at theaters. Nice to know that you can still be an action hero without taking lives.

Lol.. you missed the little Easter egg scene where he stabs someone through the eye sockets with a fork.. lol.

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2016
Chattanooga, TN USA
Visit site
✟246,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
..Just got around to watching an episode of Touched by an Angel from the Season 1 DVD I bought a while ago. I really like the idea they put behind this show. I especially find it humorous how Della Reese and Roma Downy squabble with each other in it. If I imagine hard enough I kind of think this is how real angels play around with each other sometimes.

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2016
Chattanooga, TN USA
Visit site
✟246,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I remember watching parts of an episode back when I was a child. It was the one with the midget who works at a circus, was fearful of being shot out of a cannon, and talked to the angel while looking himself in the mirror in disgust.

If I can get a hold of the show on Netflix or iTunes, I would love to give it a look.
How can you handle a hammer or a screwdriver? Can you put things together?

Upvote 0