Movie Reviewer: "Dunkirk" doesn't have enough women, minorities

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
https://www.usatoday.com/story/life...xplores-heroism-innovative-fashion/482574001/

So...

There's a movie about the evacuation of Dunkirk during WWII.

An event in which French soldiers played "meat shield" so that the British soldiers could escape from the German soldiers.

Germany obviously didn't have any racial minorities in their military at the time, and IIRC neither the UK nor France had gender-integrated their forces yet. So of course it's mostly going to be two hours of white dudes.

Seriously... did this person fail history class?

I'm a movie reviewer myself, and this guy's making me look bad by comparison.

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟492,680.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I can see them putting in some women. After all, everyone suffers in war, if not as a soldier, then as a civilian. But then they'd propably complain that the women were only depicted as victims (ignoring the fact that when caught up in war, all civilians are victims).

As for minorities, that's entirely different story. Remember, we are talking about britain here, which at the time was a huge empire that spanned the entire globe. For example, there were 4 companies of indian soldiers who were evacuated from Dunkirk. Ample opportunity to ad some minorities.

And concerning the germans, knowing hollywood they're propably depicted as a faceless evil shooting down from planes or behind machine guns, when not mindlessly running into the rifle fire of the heroes.

Upvote 0

dgiharris

Old Crusty Vet
Jan 9, 2013
✟131,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I can see them putting in some women. After all, everyone suffers in war, if not as a soldier, then as a civilian. But then they'd propably complain that the women were only depicted as victims (ignoring the fact that when caught up in war, all civilians are victims).

As for minorities, that's entirely different story. Remember, we are talking about britain here, which at the time was a huge empire that spanned the entire globe. For example, there were 4 companies of indian soldiers who were evacuated from Dunkirk. Ample opportunity to ad some minorities.

And concerning the germans, knowing hollywood they're propably depicted as a faceless evil shooting down from planes or behind machine guns, when not mindlessly running into the rifle fire of the heroes.

The German soldiers seemed to get a decent treatment in the movie Fury with Brad Pitt, some were good, some were bad... just saying, there are a lot of Hollywood WWII movies that don't turn Germans into Nazi caricatures ...

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟492,680.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
The German soldiers seemed to get a decent treatment in the movie Fury with Brad Pitt, some were good, some were bad... just saying, there are a lot of Hollywood WWII movies that don't turn Germans into Nazi caricatures ...
That's nice to hear. I don't really know a lot about fury, just that it has an unrealistic battle against a tiger.

As for this movie, I won't hold my breath, but feel free to show me wrong.

Upvote 0

dgiharris

Old Crusty Vet
Jan 9, 2013
✟131,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
That's nice to hear. I don't really know a lot about fury, just that it has an unrealistic battle against a tiger.

As for this movie, I won't hold my breath, but feel free to show me wrong.

Truth be told, almost all military fight sequences in hollywood are unrealistic.

One of the things that drives me nuts (being prior Air Force) is this insistence by Hollywood to make jets dog fight like WWII aircraft.

Newsflash, missiles have ranges much further than a mile or two...

And planes drop bombs from higher than a few hundred feet above the target....

So yeah.... them getting the tank battles wrong was going to happen, but it did make for a cool scene...

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟492,680.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Truth be told, almost all military fight sequences in hollywood are unrealistic.

One of the things that drives me nuts (being prior Air Force) is this insistence by Hollywood to make jets dog fight like WWII aircraft.

Newsflash, missiles have ranges much further than a mile or two...

And planes drop bombs from higher than a few hundred feet above the target....

So yeah.... them getting the tank battles wrong was going to happen, but it did make for a cool scene...
There's a pretty funny video of the Fury Tiger tank battle as a warthunder match. (Warthunder is a pretty realistic tank and air plane battle simulator that I enjoy to play from time to time) Sadly I can't link it because of bad language.. also a bit off topic.

Upvote 0