Movie Buffs: Do you practice strong discernment when watching movies?

Nadine777

Nov 16, 2017
London
✟8,013.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As a movie buff and as a Christian who is getting even more closer to God everyday, my discernment is getting a lot better, i personally can no longer stand it when dialogue in most movies use Jesus's name in vain and also regular swear words are too much as well, same goes for TV Shows. I've gotten to the point where i would rather watch family films or movies that i know doesn't have a lot of swearing - example movies with a 12A Certificate.

• Agree
Reactions: Halbhh

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
As a movie buff and as a Christian who is getting even more closer to God everyday, my discernment is getting a lot better, i personally can no longer stand it when dialogue in most movies use Jesus's name in vain and also regular swear words are too much as well, same goes for TV Shows. I've gotten to the point where i would rather watch family films or movies that i know doesn't have a lot of swearing - example movies with a 12A Certificate.
Hi; it's good to keep up prayerful Bible reading each day; Ephesians speaks of 'the washing of water by the word' (Ephesians 5.26).

I agree about rude and profane words.

Sometimes in movies bedroom scenes are strictly 'under the covers', while others don't show any covers at all.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Welcome here!

heh, a few weeks ago I turned on a world series baseball game late in the evening, and drifted off partly asleep, and later as I was waking the tone of the sounds of the voices at that moment from the TV seemed so much less in a good place, that I felt an urge to turn it off, which I did. I don't want to trade something good from above I'd asked for (indirectly in the prayer that day), for something less good from below, but want to hold onto what is good from above.

Reactions: Nadine777
Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟311,347.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I tend to watch just the entertainment contestant shows like the Voice etc. but even that is getting to be more and more overtaken with judgement over and above what is necessary for the contest.... getting to be as much voyaguer as any sexual content. It's very difficult to get away from the news of the world no matter what the media.

Upvote 0

Nadine777

Nov 16, 2017
London
✟8,013.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I tend to watch just the entertainment contestant shows like the Voice etc. but even that is getting to be more and more overtaken with judgement over and above what is necessary for the contest.... getting to be as much voyaguer as any sexual content. It's very difficult to get away from the news of the world no matter what the media.
I agree, i also stopped watching the news months ago because it will always be negative, you can avoid the news, even if the temptation is there to watch and read about it. I'm on Twitter a lot and on the web version the trending topics are right there in my face and when it is bad news i refrain from reading any news articles, the headlines are disturbing enough.

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟311,347.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I agree, i also stopped watching the news months ago because it will always be negative, you can avoid the news, even if the temptation is there to watch and read about it. I'm on Twitter a lot and on the web version the trending topics are right there in my face and when it is bad news i refrain from reading any news articles, the headlines are disturbing enough.
Refraining from politics seems to help too ;p

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I quite like the various tattoo parlor shows; nice designs and no politics! :)

Upvote 0

Joy

May 21, 2004
B'ham
✟1,403,923.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
MOD HAT ON