Movement to defund police...

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Movement to defund police gains 'unprecedented' support across US

Activists say the way to stop police brutality and killings is to cut law enforcement budgets and reinvest in services. Some lawmakers now agree.

The movement to defund the police is gaining significant support across America, including from elected leaders, as protests over the killing of George Floyd sweep the nation.

For years, activists have pushed US cities and states to cut law enforcement budgets amid a dramatic rise in spending on police and prisons while funding for vital social services has shrunk or disappeared altogether.

Government officials have long dismissed the idea as a leftist fantasy, but the recent unrest and massive budget shortfalls from the Covid-19 crisis appear to have inspired more mainstream recognition of the central arguments behind defunding.

Hmmm... not sure is this is the solution, but it's interesting...

Thoughts?

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,899.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

Thoughts?

I'm not sold on it, either. I agree that other services ought to be beefed up and in many cases utilized first - and if the cuts have to come from the police, then so be it, I suppose. But here in Baltimore our PD is way underfunded and it hasn't made things better. All it does is make residents frustrated that they can't get property crime addressed.

ETA: Salary cuts and more stressful working conditions also make it easier for surrounding suburbs to out-recruit us. It's tough enough here that we've made at least a couple attempts to recruit folks from Puerto Rico.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Consider we had to wait weeks to have adequate PPE ready for doctors and nurses, some having to make their own out of trash bags and plastic bottles while working in the midst of a pandemic but the police have enough riot gear, vehicles, weapons and toys to outfit an entire army, ready to go at a moment’s notice of people assembling to protest their actions.

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,171.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
  • Agree
Reactions: Mama-Bear
Upvote 0

Silmarien

Existentialist
Feb 24, 2017
New York
✟215,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Consider we had to wait weeks to have adequate PPE ready for doctors and nurses, some having to make their own out of trash bags and plastic bottles while working in the midst of a pandemic but the police have enough riot gear, vehicles, weapons and toys to outfit an entire army, ready to go at a moment’s notice of people assembling to protest their actions.

Maybe better oversight on how police funding is being spent and a shift in priorities in how policing out to be handled is a better solution.

I'm not comfortable with police defunding or "Abolish the Police" movements, since I'm not really sure what people think the alternative is. Private militias? How would that not end up with the exact same issues, except less options for oversight?

Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Thoughts?
I have mixed feelings. I want a complete overhaul of policing and that will cost a lot of $$. I also want them to get a ton more education and to be paid more to be commensurate with the level of education and responsibility they have.

I’m hoping here in Portland we could be a test case for major police reform. My dream is the police on the streets don’t carry guns and get rid of all those pockets. And maybe they can stop exclusively hiring dudes that look like they do steroids. Their arms are all twice the size of the average Portlander’s arm.

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,171.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have mixed feelings. I want a complete overhaul of policing and that will cost a lot of $$. I also want them to get a ton more education and to be paid more to be commensurate with the level of education and responsibility they have.

I’m hoping here in Portland we could be a test case for major police reform. My dream is the police on the streets don’t carry guns and get rid of all those pockets. And maybe they can stop exclusively hiring dudes that look like they do steroids. Their arms are all twice the size of the average Portlander’s arm.

Ban ex-military to start. Our homeland isn't a war zone.

...Start hiring college grads instead, creating a whole new standard that includes psychology, and cultural education.

• Agree
Reactions: Sparagmos
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,899.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

To be fair, that's not a very high bar. I've seen Portlandia.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,899.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

...Start hiring college grads instead, creating a whole new standard that includes psychology, and cultural education.

I don't know... Talking to ex-military folks, I get the impression that the ROE overseas are a lot tighter than they are over here and that local cops are seen as something of a joke in regards to their ability to handle a rowdy mob.

Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Yes! This is my quickly brainstormed list of what I’d like to see, that I posted on another thread yesterday:

1) 4 years education in policing, including criminal justice, constitutional law, history of civil rights, sociology, conflict resolution, negotiation, deescalation, psychology, domestic violence, martial arts, tactics, etc. 2 years in they can begin working as interns but only under direct supervision. Cops should be people who are trained to counsel and work with People, particularly the mentally ill and criminal types. They should know more than you and me about human psychology and be masters of disarming and deescalation.

2) Personality testing and evaluation to test performance under stress and quickness to anger. This is also evaluated during the internship. No one with “anger issues” or the inability to remain calm under duress should make the cut. The most important characteristic of a cop should be the ability to remain calm and think clearly under stress.

3)Pay cops a lot more. They have a huge responsibility. Then we can also expect more of them.

4)Cops should be bonded or insured somehow so that the public doesn’t pay when they get sued for misconduct.

5)Cops don’t carry firearms on the street. Just non-lethal weapons. And they don’t dress like the military with all of those ridiculous pockets. They are there to deescalate problems, not look scary.

6)Separate agency with a board appointed by city council, to oversee police accountability that investigates all complaints of abuse. Investigations totally transparent. This board has meetings open to the public.

7) body cams on at all times, gross misconduct to turn off your body cam when working. Perhaps they are just uploaded automatically.

8) iron tight whistleblower protection. Retaliation against a cop for reporting another cop should mean jail time.

I know there have been instances where the whole police force was let go and replaced. In some places, this could be a way to start fresh and send the message of zero tolerance for abuse.

Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Mama-Bear

Happy Sabbath
Site Supporter
Jun 3, 2020
TX
✟30,530.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mama-Bear

Happy Sabbath
Site Supporter
Jun 3, 2020
TX
✟30,530.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution

You know the only thing that stops a bad man with a gun is a good man with a gun. How can you police America without a gun? Take the citizen's guns. That won't work we need our guns to protect ourselves.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Silmarien

Existentialist
Feb 24, 2017
New York
✟215,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
5)Cops don’t carry firearms on the street. Just non-lethal weapons. And they don’t dress like the military with all of those ridiculous pockets. They are there to deescalate problems, not look scary.

This one I was wondering about a bit earlier, since I know it's supposed to work well in Britain, but the difference between Britain and the United States is that firearms are harder to come by there in general, so the police aren't going to get into a firefight with anyone. Would police in this country even be able to tackle something like gang violence without being armed?

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes! This is my quickly brainstormed list of what I’d like to see, that I posted on another thread yesterday:

1) 4 years education in policing, including criminal justice, constitutional law, history of civil rights, sociology, conflict resolution, negotiation, deescalation, psychology, domestic violence, martial arts, tactics, etc. 2 years in they can begin working as interns but only under direct supervision. Cops should be people who are trained to counsel and work with People, particularly the mentally ill and criminal types. They should know more than you and me about human psychology and be masters of disarming and deescalation.

2) Personality testing and evaluation to test performance under stress and quickness to anger. This is also evaluated during the internship. No one with “anger issues” or the inability to remain calm under duress should make the cut. The most important characteristic of a cop should be the ability to remain calm and think clearly under stress.

3)Pay cops a lot more. They have a huge responsibility. Then we can also expect more of them.

4)Cops should be bonded or insured somehow so that the public doesn’t pay when they get sued for misconduct.

6)Separate agency with a board appointed by city council, to oversee police accountability that investigates all complaints of abuse. Investigations totally transparent. This board has meetings open to the public.

7) body cams on at all times, gross misconduct to turn off your body cam when working. Perhaps they are just uploaded automatically.

8) iron tight whistleblower protection. Retaliation against a cop for reporting another cop should mean jail time.

I know there have been instances where the whole police force was let go and replaced. In some places, this could be a way to start fresh and send the message of zero tolerance for abuse.
I hate to be a downer here, but I used to know a psychologist that did evaluations to prospective police academy cadets.... he said the results were often "scary".

Upvote 0