United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
NYT-
The clothing retailer H&M apologized on Monday for an image appearing in its online store that showed a black child model wearing a hooded sweatshirt that said “coolest monkey in the jungle.” The company removed the image on Monday and said it would also pull the shirt from its stores worldwide

The company said it would investigate how the image, which appeared in its online store in “some European markets,” and the shirt itself both came to be.

“It is obvious that our routines have not been followed properly. This is without any doubt,” the company said. “We will thoroughly investigate why this happened to prevent this type of mistake from happening again.”

I can't wait to see the people who say that "people are making a big deal out of nothing" or something like that.

This petition calls for the company to hire black executives in order to avoid this type of mishap as they employ none.

H&M - Hire Black Executives, Now. | OrganizeFor

For me, it's not so much that these things happen. Stereotypes and racist material get exploited all the time in comedy, music, TV, and film. Surely advertising is no different. I am more or less disgusted by it depending on who is reaping the benefits of the exploitation and how much trash is being digested as some type of reality en mass.

What makes me cringe more is how many people are coming out of the woodwork saying that we (people of color) should not be offended by these degrading terms.

What do you think?

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟731,390.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
From what the spokesperson was saying, it seemed to be that somebody slipped it through the cracks in the system. My impression from their statements were that somwhere in the "system" this should have been caught and not allowed. Now they are researching who is responsible for this getting out.

My thought is that it could have been squashed at multiple points in the process. From the design of the shirt itself, to the choice of model, and even with those teams dropping the ball, some executive signed off on the purchase of ad space and gave the green light to run it.

To meit seems that either the company thought they would start a buzz over their product and gain a certain clientele, or someone within the company made this project their baby and saw it through from beginning to end to make their personal statement using the company's ad space and shirt. I don'tthink it was because it just got missed.

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟731,390.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Why American Politics?
One reason is because it has the most traffic, another is because the article I was quoting was from an American newspaper and also what brought the issue to my attention in the first place was an American led petition for the company to hire African American executives as there are none and this thing would have more likely not been tolerated or made it to "print."

Above and beyond that, there seems to be a resurgence of toleration of racism and bigotry is being pushed under the guise of "nationalism" in America and U think this article highlights that.

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Outside of any racial connotations, people often call their kids little monkeys, because monkeys are cute and rambunctious and have a lot of the joyous qualities of little kids.
Or, maybe the neo-nazis are taking over Sweden.

Interpret it as you will.

Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
NYT-
The clothing retailer H&M apologized on Monday for an image appearing in its online store that showed a black child model wearing a hooded sweatshirt that said “coolest monkey in the jungle.” The company removed the image on Monday and said it would also pull the shirt from its stores worldwide

What do you think?

I like the shirt, though it's more for kids.

I think that people who want to be offended
will always find something to offend them.

Will Curious George get the next ban?
Or "Ten little monkeys jumping on the bed"?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟731,390.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Outside of any racial connotations, people often call their kids little monkeys, because monkeys are cute and rambunctious and have a lot of the joyous qualities of little kids.
Or, maybe the neo-nazis are taking over Sweden.

I sonterpret it as you will.

You know I have to say that this ad did run mostly in Europe I think only in Europe and I know they say cheeky little monkey all the time.

Maybe the People who automatically compared the boy to monkey on racial terms when they saw the ad are the real racists?

I think European English, or the way they use the word "Monkey" in Europe, it is not a racial slur though I have heard "ape".

I think it could have been innocent or an unintentional offense, but in a billion dollar global corporation perhaps having at least one person of an African American descent would get someone on the team who could help your company avoid these nightmares. I don't know though maybe not a single Black person that ever worked for them or applied had the aptitude to be one of their executives. That issue makes it not look too inclusive.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
thread moved.png

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kalevalatar

Supisuomalainen sisupussi
Jul 5, 2005
Pohjola
✟20,327.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Maybe the People who automatically compared the boy to monkey on racial terms when they saw the ad are the real racists?

I think European English, or the way they use the word "Monkey" in Europe, it is not a racial slur though I have heard "ape".

The domestic European usage of word "monkey," however, is irrelevant in the face of the fact that the Swedes and Europeans are educated and informed and well aware of the racists connotation of the word even when it's "only" outside their (our) own borders and languages.

The Swedish twitter has come out to condemn the add. The Swedes recognize it as offensive and are ashamed of H&M. Blissful ignorance is not an excuse and as an excuse, it rings untrue. H&M is not a little boutique somewhere in rural Sweden: H&M is a global clothing giant.

H&M Closes all its Stores in South Africa Amid Protests Over ‘Monkey’ Shirt

H&M makes crappy clothes cheap in shabby conditions. If the company goes under, the world can live without it.

Upvote 0