Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Terms used by Christians, but not found within the New Testament, (Old Testament as well).

Save from SIN
Saved from SIN
Saving from SIN
Salvation from SIN

The Term which is found is.

Saved from is WRATH.

Rom 5:1-11
1) Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:
2) By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.
3) And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;
4) And patience, experience; and experience, hope:
5) And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.
6) For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly.
7) For scarcely for a righteous man will one die: yet peradventure for a good man some would even dare to die.
8) But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
9) Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.
10) For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.
11) And not only so, but we also joy in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom we have now received the atonement.

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,929,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Terms used by Christians, but not found within the New Testament, (Old Testament as well).

Save from SIN
Saved from SIN
Saving from SIN
Salvation from SIN

Saved from is WRATH.

1) Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:
2) By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.
3) And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;
5) And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.
6) For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly.
7) For scarcely for a righteous man will one die: yet peradventure for a good man some would even dare to die.
8) But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
9) Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.
10) For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.
11) And not only so, but we also joy in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom we have now received the atonement.
Hi JIMINZ, I believe that the Lord saves us from our sins on this side of the grave (as well from the power that sin has over us, by changing us and making us into wholly new creatures in Christ .. e.g. Ezekiel 36:26-27; John 3:3; Romans 6:4; 2 Corinthians 5:17; Ephesians 2:1-5, 4:22-24), and from the outpouring of God's wrath in the eternity to come.

Matthew 1
20 Behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream, saying, “Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary as your wife; for the Child who has been conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit.
21 “She will bear a Son; and you shall call His name Jesus, for He will save His people from their sins.”

John 1
29 The next day he saw Jesus coming to him and said, “Behold, the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world!

1 John 3
5 He appeared in order to take away sins; and in Him there is no sin.

God bless you!

--David
p.s. - I also believe that Pastor A.W. Pink makes an important point to consider about sin, wrath and evangelism in his quote below.

quote-the-nature-of-christ-s-salvation-is-woefully-misrepresented-by-the-present-day-evangelist-arthur-w-pink-60-30-26.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,929,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
We are saved from God’s wrath, by God’s grace, for God’s glory!
Hi Gospels, I agree, we are saved from God, by God, for God.

God bless you :)

--David

Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟39,243.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate

Saved from is WRATH.
Checked on BLB for save, saved, saving, salvation for NT only.
Closest to a discrepancy:

1 Timothy 1:15. This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief. which is insufficient to be a refutation.
saved and wrath also appears here:
1 Thes 2 :16.
Forbidding us to speak to the Gentiles that they might be saved, to fill up their sins alway: for the wrath is come upon them to the uttermost.
More on wrath:
Matthew 3:7. But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees come to his baptism, he said unto them, O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come?
John 3:36. He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.
Romans 1:18. For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;
Quite a few more, that is enough due diligence. Good thread! Thanks for bringing it up.

Upvote 0

Phil W

Apr 15, 2019
Mesa, Az
✟67,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Save from SIN
Saved from SIN
Saving from SIN
Salvation from SIN
Saved from is WRATH.

When I first became a Christian, I personally wanted to be free from sin.
That would then feature a freedom from wrath.
I saw scriptures like..."For he that is dead is freed from sin." (Rom 6:7), and "Forasmuch then as Christ hath suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind: for he that hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sin;" (1 Peter 4:1), plus other scriptures along the same lines, so I knew freedom from sin was accomplishable.
Those walking in the Spirit don't commit sin; just those walking after the flesh.

Reactions: Mr. M
Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,929,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
When I first became a Christian, I personally wanted to be free from sin.
Me too Phil, I couldn't stand the weight of the guilt that I had begun to feel over my fun, but very sinful, life. The weird thing was, I began to feel that way in the midst of a life that was going just that way that I had always hoped and planned that it would :scratch: In fact, by the world's standards anyway, I was actually leading a very enviable life at the time. I had everything that I wanted and then some (including what I 'thought' was happiness).

I began to sense that there was something very wrong with my life however, and all the "good" things that had been happening to me, things that I wanted to happen (both personally and professionally) began to have no meaning, so all that I was left with was my overwhelming sense of guilt (which I did not know how to fix).

Then I ended up having one of those dark nights of the soul kind of experiences. Fortunately, a colleague of mine found me at breakfast the next morning and, seeing that I looked pretty distressed, asked me if everything was ok. When I told him what was going on, he proceeded to tell me about the Lord Jesus and the Gospel, and how I could get rid of my guilt once and for all (and I took his advice :)).

--David

Upvote 0

Phil W

Apr 15, 2019
Mesa, Az
✟67,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Me too Phil, I couldn't stand the weight of the guilt that I had begun to feel over my fun, but very sinful, life. The weird thing was, I began to feel that way in the midst of a life that was going just that way that I had always hoped and planned that it would :scratch: In fact, by the world's standards anyway, I was actually leading a very enviable life at the time. I had everything that I wanted and then some (including what I 'thought' was happiness).

I began to sense that there was something very wrong with my life however, and all the "good" things that had been happening to me, things that I wanted to happen (both personally and professionally) began to have no meaning, so all that I was left with was my overwhelming sense of guilt (which I did not know how to fix).

Then I ended up having one of those dark nights of the soul kind of experiences. Fortunately, a colleague of mine found me at breakfast the next morning and, seeing that I looked pretty distressed, asked me if everything was ok. When I told him what was going on, he proceeded to tell me about the Lord Jesus and the Gospel, and how I could get rid of my guilt once and for all (and I took his advice :)).

--David
I hope you got rid of the guilt by, as Peter put it, "ceasing from sin".

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,929,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I hope you got rid of the guilt by, as Peter put it, "ceasing from sin".
No, the guilt went away because I knew in that moment that I was forgiven, because I knew that God had forgiven all of my many sins :)

I stopped sinning/leading a sinful lifestyle as soon as I became a Christian, principally because 1. I realized all that He had done for me to make the forgiveness of/atonement for my sins possible, and because 2. I loved Him and I knew how displeasing my former, sinful life must have been to Him (and I never wanted to be displeasing to Him like that again, the One who loved me and choose to die on my behalf because He did).

Since then I've discovered that there were Biblical reasons for both my new desire to not sin, and the power to stop sinning/to stop leading a sinful lifestyle, was because He changed me on the inside/made me His workmanship as a new creature in Christ when He saved me .. Ezekiel 36:26-27; John 3:3; Ephesians 2:1-5, 8-10; 2 Corinthians 5:17 (I believe I already mentioned this in my first reply above). When I sinned before I was a believer, I acted in accord with my old/fallen, sinful nature, but whenever I sin now, as a believer, I act ~against~ my new nature/new self (and it is always painful, rather than pleasurable, like sin always seemed to be before I became a Christian).

--David

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

Phil W

Apr 15, 2019
Mesa, Az
✟67,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No, the guilt went away because I knew in that moment that I was forgiven, because I knew that God had forgiven all of my many sins :)

I stopped sinning/leading a sinful lifestyle as soon as I became a Christian, principally because 1. I realized all that He had done for me to make the forgiveness of/atonement for my sins possible, and because 2. I loved Him and I knew how displeasing my former, sinful life must have been to Him (and I never wanted to be displeasing to Him like that again, the One who loved me and choose to die on my behalf because He did).

Since then I've discovered that their were Biblical reasons for both my new desire to not sin, and the power to stop sinning/to stop leading a sinful lifestyle, was because He changed me on the inside/made me His workmanship as a new creature in Christ when He saved me .. Ezekiel 36:26-27; John 3:3; Ephesians 2:1-5, 8-10; 2 Corinthians 5:17 (I believe I already mentioned this in my first reply above). When I sinned before I was a believer, I acted in accord with my old/fallen, sinful nature, but whenever I sin now, as a believer, I act ~against~ my new nature/new self (and it is always painful, rather than pleasurable, like sin always seemed to be before I became a Christian).
--David
So Jesus didn't free you from sin, He freed you from guilt for sin?
That doesn't jibe with your previous post..."Me too Phil, I couldn't stand the weight of the guilt that I had begun to feel over my fun, but very sinful, life. "
So now you can commit sin without guilt?
That doesn't correlate with 1 Peter 4:1..." Forasmuch then as Christ hath suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind: for he that hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sin;"
Nor with my post when I said I wanted to be free from sin.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,929,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
...now you can commit sin without guilt?
Hello again Phil, I didn't say that (quite the opposite, in fact). Since I have no idea how you came to the conclusions that you did about what I wrote in my replies above, I will post some of my comments again here and explain them, if I think it's necessary to do so.
...the guilt went away because I knew in that moment that I was forgiven, because I knew that God had forgiven all of my many sins
IOW, the Lord had forgiven me for all of the sins that I had ~previously~ committed. My guilt over those sins was abated because He did, not future sins (if that's what you meant :scratch:).
I ~stopped~ sinning/(stopped) leading a sinful lifestyle as soon as I became a Christian...I loved Him and I knew how displeasing my ~former~ sinful life must have been to Him (and I never wanted to be displeasing to Him like that again.......
I've discovered that there were Biblical reasons for both my new desire to ~not sin~, and the power to ~stop~ sinning/to ~stop~ leading a sinful lifestyle..........

Hopefully that has made the meaning of my words somewhat clearer for you.

Finally, as the elder Apostle John made clear to the entire church (from new believers to elders) about their past, present and future sins .. and his sins .. and ours:

1 John 1
8 If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
10 If we say we have not sinned, we make Him a liar, and His word is not in us.

1 John 2
1 My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous.

--David

quote-it-is-not-the-absence-of-sin-but-the-grieving-over-it-which-distinguishes-the-child-arthur-w-pink-70-74-09.jpg

Last edited:
  • Prayers
Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

Phil W

Apr 15, 2019
Mesa, Az
✟67,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello again Phil, I didn't say that (quite the opposite, in fact). Since I have no idea how you came to the conclusions that you did about what I wrote in my replies above, I will post some of my comments again here and explain them, if I think it's necessary to do so.

IOW, the Lord had forgiven me for all of the sins that I had ~previously~ committed. My guilt over those sins was abated because He did, not future sins (if that's what you meant :scratch:).

Hopefully that has made the meaning of my words somewhat clearer for you.
Thank you for the editing.
It did "clear the air".

Finally, as the elder Apostle John made clear to the entire church (from new believers to elders) about their past, present and future sins .. and his sins .. and ours:
1 John 1
9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

1 John 2
1 My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous.
--David
David, I do hope you realize that John is addressing two very different kinds of people in 1 John 1.
He alternates verses between those who walk in the light which is God, and those who walk in the darkness which is sin.
Verses 5, 7, and 9 refer to those in the light, and verses 6, 8, and 10 refer to those who walk in darkness.
The sinners in the dark are the ones who cannot say they have no sin, but those who walk in the light can say it...as ALL their sins have been washed away by the blood of Christ.
I thank God for the ability to remain in the light.

Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is an aspect where we have been saved from sin...

1 Corinthians 15:55-57 KJV
[55] O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory? [56] The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law. [57] But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

Romans 6:6-7,11,14 KJV
[6] Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin. [7] For he that is dead is freed from sin. [11] Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord. [14] For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So Jesus didn't free you from sin, He freed you from guilt for sin?
That doesn't jibe with your previous post..."Me too Phil, I couldn't stand the weight of the guilt that I had begun to feel over my fun, but very sinful, life. "
So now you can commit sin without guilt?
That doesn't correlate with 1 Peter 4:1..." Forasmuch then as Christ hath suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind: for he that hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sin;"
Nor with my post when I said I wanted to be free from sin.
Did you actually read all of his posts? It does not seem so.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,929,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
David, I do hope you realize that John is addressing two very different kinds of people in 1 John 1.
He alternates verses between those who walk in the light which is God, and those who walk in the darkness which is sin.
Verses 5, 7, and 9 refer to those in the light, and verses 6, 8, and 10 refer to those who walk in darkness.
The sinners in the dark are the ones who cannot say they have no sin, but those who walk in the light can say it...as ALL their sins have been washed away by the blood of Christ.
I thank God for the ability to remain in the light.
Hello again Phil, actually, the Apostle was addressing three groups altogether in Chapter 1, but he specified one group above the other other two.

1 John 1
9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

1 John 2
1 ~My little children~, I am writing these things ~to you~ ...........
The three groups Chapter 1 is addressed to comprises the entirety of the church however, not just new believers/"little children", but the "young men" and the "fathers" of the church as well.

I believe it is important to take note of the fact that the Apostle John ~included himself~ as a member of the "we" and "us" and "our" group that he was writing to and about in Chapters 1 & 2.

Here's the passage again with certain words placed in bold again to demonstrate who these two Chapters were written to.

1 John 1
6 If we say that we have fellowship with Him and yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth;
7 but if we walk in the Light as He Himself is in the Light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin.
8 If we say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us.
9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar and His word is not in us.

1 John 2
1 My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous;
2 and He Himself is the propitiation for our sins; and not for ours only, but also for those of the whole world.
3 By this we know that we have come to know Him, if we keep His commandments.
4 The one who says, “I have come to know Him,” and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him;
5 but whoever keeps His word, in him the love of God has truly been perfected. By this we know that we are in Him:
6 the one who says he abides in Him ought himself to walk in the same manner as He walked.
7 Beloved, I am not writing a new commandment to you, but an old commandment which you have had from the beginning; the old commandment is the word which you have heard.
8 On the other hand, I am writing a new commandment to you, which is true in Him and in you, because the darkness is passing away and the true Light is already shining.
9 The one who says he is in the Light and yet hates his brother is in the darkness until now.
10 The one who loves his brother abides in the Light and there is no cause for stumbling in him.
11 But the one who hates his brother is in the darkness and walks in the darkness, and does not know where he is going because the darkness has blinded his eyes.

12 I am writing to you, little children, because your sins have been forgiven you for His name’s sake.
13 I am writing to you, fathers, because you know Him who has been from the beginning. I am writing to you, young men, because you have overcome the evil one. I have written to you, children, because you know the Father.
14 I have written to you, fathers, because you know Him who has been from the beginning. I have written to you, young men, because you are strong, and the word of God abides in you, and you have overcome the evil one.

--David
p.s. - the Apostle John states plainly, "If ~WE~ (by this "we" the Apostle John includes Christians of every maturity level in the faith .. himself included) confess our sins, He if faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness". Whenever we sin ~as Christians~, we need to confess our sins to Him to receive His forgiveness and to be cleansed by Him, ~NOT~ to receive back our salvation (because that cannot be lost), but to reestablish full fellowship with Him so that we can get back to the synergistic work of sanctification (w/o the weight of the guilt we feel because of our ongoing sins remaining on us and slowing us down/impeding our growth).

This is what I believe the Bible teaches us. How does it differ from what you believe? Thanks!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gr8Grace

Mar 11, 2018
South Dakota
✟75,931.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I'd sure like to hear a comment on the OP, rather than why sin, how sin, or whatever sin, when the statement about sin was we are,
"SAVED FROM WRATH NOT SIN"

Question:

What is sin that we can be saved from it, is it tangible that it can jump upon us and force us to sin?

Sin is the product of our own lust, not an entity called sin having a life of it's own.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,929,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I'd sure like to hear a comment on the OP...
Terms used by Christians, but not found within the New Testament, Save from SIN, Saved from SIN, Saving from SIN, Salvation from SIN.
Hello again JIMINZ, my original reply to you (post #3 in this thread) addressed your OP directly as it contained several examples of the Bible saying that we are indeed, "saved from sin".

Here they are again.

Matthew 1
20 Behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream, saying, “Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary as your wife; for the Child who has been conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit.
21 “She will bear a Son; and you shall call His name Jesus, for He will save His people from their sins.”

John 1
29 The next day he saw Jesus coming to him and said, “Behold, the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world!

1 John 3
Would you like me to provide additional, Biblical examples?

--David

quote-the-nature-of-christ-s-salvation-is-woefully-misrepresented-by-the-present-day-evangelist-arthur-w-pink-60-30-26.jpg

Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Hello again JIMINZ, my original reply to you (post #3 in this thread) addressed your OP directly as it contained several examples of the Bible saying that we are indeed, "saved from sin".

Here they are again.

Matthew 1

John 1

1 John 3
Would you like me to provide additional, Biblical examples?

--David

Thanks for your response.
I was waiting for more, but it didn't quite happen.

Sure, in a round about way it did, I will have to give you that, but what I wrote is because it does not say what I said it didn't say, even though Christians do take those types of Verses you posted and use the term, even though like I said it does not say that.

It's Wrath that we are Saved form.

Sin is what we do, Wrath is what our actions cost Jesus on the Cross, Christians should be fully aware of what they have been Saved from.

It's a Jot and Tittle sort of thing.

Upvote 0