[moved] Prophets receiving messages from angels?

anatolian

Senior Veteran
Dec 12, 2006
Turkey
✟22,421.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Single
To be sure we are clear, I mean God doesn't seem to care if somebody is a Mormon or a Christian or a Wiccan. People of many religious faiths report experiences of apparent concern from God.

In other words, God seems to have His own criteria for choosing who to inspire and when and how. Religion seems to be about as important as hair color to God.

Of course if people are imagining God's inspiration then it would be a similar pattern of indifference to religion.
Maybe some of them follow an illusion, a deception thinking it is an experience of reality. A deception is even an experience too. An experience of an illusion. So, How can you differ an experience of truth from an experience of an illusion? I believe our intelligence must be our criteria. If God has given us this skill, He must be expecting us to use it.

• Agree
Reactions: cloudyday2
Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Maybe some of them follow an illusion, a deception thinking it is an experience of reality. A deception is even an experience too. An experience of an illusion. So, How can you differ an experience of truth from an experience of an illusion? I believe our intelligence must be our criteria. If God has given us this skill, He must be expecting us to use it.
I don't think intelligence helps too much. Of course it is good to know about hallucinations and confirmation bias and other effects that can create false messages. I also think it is good to know the reasons to be skeptical about each religion under consideration.

Upvote 0

Barney2.0

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2017
Los Angeles
✟451,221.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yes I think it was amazing too, isnt it? An illitirate man memorizing a book sized one forth of Bible.
Actually I doubt Mohammed was illiterate since he was said to be a trader and traders back then had to be literate and there are many Hadiths which say that he wrote things.

• Informative
Reactions: Jane_Doe
Upvote 0

anatolian

Senior Veteran
Dec 12, 2006
Turkey
✟22,421.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Single
I don't think intelligence helps too much. Of course it is good to know about hallucinations and confirmation bias and other effects that can create false messages. I also think it is good to know the reasons to be skeptical about each religion under consideration.
Intelligence helps to distinguish the hallucination from reality. You may think that you have revelations from God but if they dont fit to Logic and mind you better doubt them

Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Intelligence helps to distinguish the hallucination from reality. You may think that you have revelations from God but if they dont fit to Logic and mind you better doubt them
Shouldn't we EXPECT that a GENUINE revelation from God would surprise us? There is no purpose in God revealing what we already know - right?

I agree that if God says 1+1=3 then we ought to be skeptical, but if God says to prepare for an invasion of reptilians from a secret base on the Moon then maybe we ought to give it consideration? On the other hand, if God gives me a revelation that I am the most wonderful person in the world then I ought to be skeptical, because that is exactly the sort of idea that my ego would fabricate as a hallucination.

Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟650,994.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced

Agreed, we must use our loaf, yet,
life is full of surprises.
When Sarah heard the angel tell of her giving birth at such an old age,

she laughed to herself.

"Hoho"
"Why did Sarah laugh?"
"I did not laugh"
"Yes, you laughed."

for example :)

• Agree
Reactions: cloudyday2
Upvote 0