[MOVED] I Really am Trying to Believe...

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Oh, I've asked. But how does one humble themselves before a God they do not believe in, or one who has not revealed itself?

What you're saying is that I'm somehow deficient?

Being thought of as in any way inferior is a big concern for you, isn't it?

Look, we are all of us inferior (or "deficient," if you like) to God. And there is no way you can make yourself believe in a God you defy and despise. It is, after all, from yourself that God has to save you. He has to do what only He can do and turn your rebellious, self-centered heart toward Him. Neither you nor any other human person can bring you to a saving faith in Christ. That is entirely God's doing.

If God has not yet revealed Himself to you, there is softening, and persuading, and convicting He has yet to do in you.

Selah.

Upvote 0

TheyCallMeDave

At your service....
Jun 19, 2012
Northern Florida
✟11,541.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'm trying. But I can't help but find the claims in the Bible and by Christians. I seem to think differently than religious people.

I also have issues with Christians themselves. My experience with them tends to hold me back.

Thoughts? Advice?

Whether you accept Christ or not shouldn't be based on your personal experiences with Christians. It should be based on pure evidence for him being a historical Figure , the eye witness recorded accounts of his life, death, and resurrection, the Bible being a trustworthy document, and a little bit of faith that Jesus therefore died for your many accumulated sins so you could have good standing with God and have a secured eternity with him .

A great little book for you to read at this point in your journey, is More Than A Carpenter by Josh McDowell which gives you the hard evidence for God, Jesus being real, and why we can trust the Bible. You can get a copy for just pennies plus shipping at www.amazon.com . There is no greater issue facing a Man than whether Christ is real or not since ones eternity is at stake so id encourage you to be evidence-minded and do some very simple easy research on the issue. Regards.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
And here's where I get deficient. I do not see myself as rebellious and self-centered, but you're accusing me of that, because I do not have faith in your God.

None of those who get saved - especially as an adult - see themselves as rebellious and self-centered. But God is crystal clear in His Word, the Bible, that this is precisely how we are when we live our lives without Him. In fact, it is because we are this way that we need saving. This isn't me giving you my opinion of you, but God giving you His opinion of all of us. And it is a bitter pill to swallow. It's humiliating. It's offensive. But it is the truth. And until you can acknowledge it is true, that what God says about you being a wicked sinner in desperate need of a Saviour is true, you cannot walk with Him. This is the plain message of Scripture. But who would willingly concede such a thing? No one. Which is why again I say only God doing a miraculous work in an individual can bring them to accept the hard truth of the Gospel and be saved.

Selah.

Upvote 0

Aijalon

Sayin' it like it is
Jun 4, 2012
✟17,356.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
All need a savior because all are lost sheep, not necessarily that all are "wicked". Wickedness is another matter. We do a dis service to evangelism is we say that just anyone is "wicked" because it simply isn't true. Many really are doing their best to be "good".

Also, the Gospel is not "hard truth" to hear, though I suppose it is true that it is hard at times to be repentant. The Gospel is "good news" and in that light, the truth is what sets us free. We are free of sin itself, because we are fallen and imperfect people prone to sinning over and over, but free of the shame and guilt that comes from sin. Knowing that we sin as we do, makes us sad, because all our sins were and are put upon Jesus. There is no sin left that he has not accepted or adopted onto his blood-paid debt on our account. He paid it all.

Accepting the Gospel should be like accepting that your house was just paid off and you avoided bankruptcy at the last second. That's not hard, that's easy. Jesus hands you a lottery ticket and says: "follow me".

Reactions: ToBeLoved
Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
All need a savior because all are lost sheep, not necessarily that all are "wicked". Wickedness is another matter. We do a dis service to evangelism is we say that just anyone is "wicked" because it simply isn't true. Many really are doing their best to be "good".

Also, the Gospel is not "hard truth" to hear, though I suppose it is true that it is hard at times to be repentant. The Gospel is "good news" and in that light, the truth is what sets us free. We are free of sin itself, because we are fallen and imperfect people prone to sinning over and over, but free of the shame and guilt that comes from sin. Knowing that we sin as we do, makes us sad, because all our sins were and are put upon Jesus. There is no sin left that he has not accepted or adopted onto his blood-paid debt on our account. He paid it all.

Accepting the Gospel should be like accepting that your house was just paid off and you avoided bankruptcy at the last second. That's not hard, that's easy. Jesus hands you a lottery ticket and says: "follow me".

Thank you for reminding us that it is indeed the "Good News"!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dialogist

Jul 22, 2015
✟8,545.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
So if you've searched for God for years and haven't found him, does that mean you were never wanted by Him? Are some predestined to not be able to find faith no matter what?

Hi!

I am an Orthodox Christian and I really found this podcast by Fr. Thomas Hopko (an Orthodox theologian) to be helpful regarding your question: Does God Play Favorites?

He is answering a letter from a regular woman layperson who is a wife and working mother.

Don't worry, it's encouraging!

God bless.

Upvote 0

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Sounds like we have a lot in common in this area.
I should add that I'm not trying to be a pain. I'm really trying to find some sort of faith, but with all of the questions that bounce around my head, I find no comfort in it. I worry that I never will. I'm not the kind of person who can turn their brain off to this sort of thing.

I should add that I would also rather not be discussing this on here, and I'm trying to find local pastors, ministers or priests to talk to about it in person, but I haven't had any bites yet.

So thanks for being patient.

Upvote 0

FollowerOfJesus

Jul 30, 2015
✟7,790.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I should add that I'm not trying to be a pain. I'm really trying to find some sort of faith, but with all of the questions that bounce around my head, I find no comfort in it. I worry that I never will. I'm not the kind of person who can turn their brain off to this sort of thing.

I should add that I would also rather not be discussing this on here, and I'm trying to find local pastors, ministers or priests to talk to about it in person, but I haven't had any bites yet.

So thanks for being patient.

The fact that you are here in open discussion is a tribute to what you are going thru. Jesus taught that, even if He were to raise someone from the dead, there would be those who do not believe, please do not take this the wrong way. Sometimes there is something holding us back, Christians struggle with issues of faith, just as much as others.

The good news it that the Holy Spirit is pursuing you, we love because God first loved us. The Holy Spirit is pursuing you and prompting you, some times it is difficult to hear His voice thru all the other chatter in this world. We as Christians know that Satan is the god of this world, the prince of the powers of the air, he will do anything to keep your eyes closed and destroy you. He comes as a lair to kill and destroy.

If you are looking at Christians as an example, look at them as an example of why God sent His son to die for you. We are not good, not one of us, we are in need of the free gift of salvation offered by God. God created us with free will and we do not always make the right decisions, what Jesus has provided is to cover our sin with His blood, God looks at us thru the blood of Jesus and sees the righteousness of Christ, not the filth of our sin.

God bless you and keep you,
Ken

Upvote 0

Pink Spider

EUROPEAN ANGLICAN
Site Supporter
May 26, 2013
Sweden
✟38,072.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single

MOD HAT ON

After careful consideration by CF-Staff:
This thread has been moved to 'Christian Advice'

Thank You!

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Aijalon

Sayin' it like it is
Jun 4, 2012
✟17,356.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I apologize, I meant to reply to you earlier, and just kept getting bogged down.

I've heard the good news. A lot. I preached it once upon a time. In all honesty, I don't need it. It's nice, don't get me wrong, I won't refuse it should my house be paid. But that can just never be my reason to believe, it feels selfish and dishonest to believe for that reason.

I just want the truth. In fact, I don't even want that. I just want to feel like I'm heading in the right direction toward it. If that makes sense.
I think it was CS Lewis that said it was ultimately selfish to believe in the Gospel. And the Bible does say that the Gospel is foolishness to those perishing. It is a bit odd, absolutely.

In fact, NT Write, a modern theologian said in one of his books that "it doesn't make sense" in the manner of a court, for the judge to impute his righteousness upon the accused.

But in fact, that is exactly what the Bible teaches, our righteousness is not our own, per se, it is Christ's, by imputation.

Remember that all of us are labeled "accused" from birth, and sinful/fallen in nature. We are all, in effect, DOOMED. But..... Christ, out of Love (I did not say "grace") died for the unrepentant, that they might have a chance to escape eternal wrath (God's wrath).

Without a healthy fear of wrath, nobody is going to make much of a choice in the right direction. So perhaps that is what you need?

Fear of wrath is the key, the reverence for God's almighty power and sovereignty that should drive you toward repentance. And it need not even be groveling ashamed crying type of repentance. Just an ounce of appreciation that God became a man in the flesh, and paid a horrible penalty, so that you could have eternal life.

I happen to think it's insane, God took the form of a man, in the flesh, emptied his glory, and willingly went to the cross to take on the shame of all the world, and PLANNED it.

It's mind boggling. I don't blame you one bit for being a little befuddled, it's about that nuts. It's a fairy tale, in a sense, but yeah, Christ paid the debt.

Well, first he KILLED the debt-holder (death and sin) so that he could take for himself his property (the Bride of Christ) to redeem "her" to himself (remake her into a new world free from rebellion)

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I think your problem is you doubleminded and on the fence.
You want the truth but then dont like it when people tell you what it is. So, cant help you there. If you dont like Jesus...I cant do anything bout your personal feeling.

Jesus loves you but hes not going to be in a relationship with someone who doesnt even think He exists and is always doubting. You want to spend a lot of money going. To israel to see for yourself or you can just trust what God says in the Bible is true and save your money. Good luck with finding Jesus bodily remains...

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
My reason to believe is simply, Jesus died for me and took my sin away. he resuced me from a life of sin and called me righteous.

I was rebellious, ignored God, I did not even think he existed. But He came through for me, when I humbled myself and prayed, He showed me he was the real deal.the christians were right all along! I could have a relationship with the creator of the Universe and he had written all things in His book for me to learn.

Im sure God is drawing you right now, otherwise why would you be posting questions on a christian forum??? We can pray for you, if you REALLY want to Know Him.

Upvote 0

stevenfrancis

Disciple
Dec 28, 2012
United States
Visit site
✟40,142.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm trying. But I can't help but find the claims in the Bible and by Christians. I seem to think differently than religious people.

I also have issues with Christians themselves. My experience with them tends to hold me back.

Thoughts? Advice?
Yes.

Prayer, openness, the Gospel of John, Fulton Sheen's "Life of Christ", Chesterton's "Orthodoxy", C.S. Lewis's "Mere Christianity".

Christianity aside, would you call yourself a 'deist' or an 'atheist'. Is there a God? Is it the God of monotheism?

If you are, in fact a 'deist', regardless of your persuasions at this moment, then you believe there is a God, and a natural order to the universe. At a minimum and intelligent energy. Pray to this God for faith in His son, and intervention in your life by His Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0