[MOVED] I Don't Believe that God is Good Anymore

Shrewd Manager

Through him, in all things, more than conquerors.
Site Supporter
Aug 16, 2019
Melbourne
✟364,409.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Which makes perfect sense if grace becomes more gracious with the more who receive it. Grace shown to 1 may be incredible, but that isn’t as incredible as it might have been if proffered to a select few, and to go further still, grace would be at its most gracious when everyone receives the gracious gift.

When grace is ubiquitous the Kingdom will have surely come to earth.

Upvote 0

Cormack

“I bet you're a real hulk on the internet...”
Apr 21, 2020
London
✟94,797.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
When grace is ubiquitous the Kingdom will have surely come to earth.

The most appealing part of that perspective (at least in my mind) was that God would have a total victory. Victory over death because nobody needs to die, victory over the devil who loses every ill gotten sinner previously lost to his kingdom.

And just for clarity, I’m not meaning to make this doctrinal (as I complained about that earlier,) instead the topic is still about the goodness of God.

It just so happens that eternal conscious torment, annihilationism, pre trib, post trib and a collection of other doctrines we feel passionate about don’t do justice or illuminate the goodness of God.

Maybe they shine a light on his justice, his wrath or the complexity of God, whatever the case, there’s more than enough material on the goodness of God so as not to need those side issues.

Universalism just so happens to paint a picture of God that’s recognisably good to almost everyone who sees it.

Upvote 0

Shrewd Manager

Through him, in all things, more than conquerors.
Site Supporter
Aug 16, 2019
Melbourne
✟364,409.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The most appealing part of that perspective (at least in my mind) was that God would have a total victory. Victory over death because nobody needs to die, victory over the devil who loses every ill gotten sinner previously lost to his kingdom.

Exactly. The enemies are spiritual, namely sin and death. If Jesus comes to save the world and most end up tortured or dead forever, then any victory is pale. The total victory of Christ is the salvation of all. Now, inheritance is different, for instance I might not expect a riverfront property nestled between Peter and Paul's mansions, a modest apartment in the suburbs would suffice lol.

the goodness of God.

My testimony is that, when God - the spirit of the Father - sat beside me and breathed life into my heart some 7 years ago, the fire words He left etched into my mind in a timeless way were 'There is Good. I am Good. Good wins'. The impact of this miraculous eternal assurance is a constant source of food and drink to me.

Universalism just so happens to paint a picture of God that’s recognisably good to almost everyone who sees it.

I wish that were the case. In my experience most ppl are too like the day labourers who whinge about the latecomers being paid the same amount despite not having done a hard day's work.

Upvote 0

Cormack

“I bet you're a real hulk on the internet...”
Apr 21, 2020
London
✟94,797.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I wish that were the case. In my experience most ppl are too like the day labourers who whinge about the latecomers being paid the same amount despite not having done a hard day's work.

That’s a valuable rebuttal.

• Agree
Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
... Miracles in general are swept under the rug as if they’re an ugly facet of the Christian faith. ...
Or denied outright, if you can't produce documented proof. And if you can produce documented proof, they will either claim it is falsified, or dream up some other reason to deny it. Ironically, unbelief concerning healing is nearly incurable. - lol

Even Jesus himself was limited by the unbelief in his own hometown. This is the condition of the west.

Mark 6:4-6 NIV
Jesus said to them, “A prophet is not without honor except in his own town, among his relatives and in his own home.” 5 He could not do any miracles there, except lay his hands on a few sick people and heal them. 6 He was amazed at their lack of faith.

Reactions: Cormack
Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for your honesty. You are entirely free, at least in the United States, to worship any God of your choosing. I have numerous friends who are ardent worshippers of their own version of God.
Most of us have been brainwashed in our religious upbringing to believe in a caricature of God that resembles an angry volcano god. A cosmic tyrant that implores us to to believe or burn. This is not a choice. This is spiritual extortion. Turning our loving heavenly Father into something that resemble a gangster godfather. Is that what you are promoting?

Titus 2:11
For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation for all people,

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God is there. But he's not the two-faced monster we were sold.

Here are a couple of books that have been very helpful to me. (free to read online) Perhaps scan through the chapter titles and see what stands out to you. The other side of God is presented herein.

Christ Triumphant, by Thomas Allin
Christ Triumphant by Thomas Allin

The Savior of the World, by J. Preston Eby
Kindgdom Bible Studies Savior of the World Series Part 1
@HopeInJesusOnly -- I should have mentioned that these books are more easily read online if you use your Windows Reader. (assuming you are on the Windows platform - not Apple) Although Apple may have a reader as well. Anyway... otherwise it is just a massive chunk of text which is nearly unreadable.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Verse two from the hymn: Amazing Grace.

'Twas grace that taught my heart to fear,
And grace my fears relieved.
How precious did that grace appear
The hour I first believed.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

How many have continued in fear instead of finding relief in grace?

1 John 4:18 NIV
There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.

Reactions: atpollard
Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Here's a video that addresses...

Understanding the God and Violence of the Old Testament Dr Chris Green
Pastor Chuck Ramsey of Restoration Church in North Atlanta invited his friend to join us for a very interesting session, "Understanding the God and Violence of the Old Testament". It was one of the best sessions of our 2018 Summer Series in our School of the Spirit. This answers one of the great questions of millennials as we deal with the violence and chaos of the Old Testament. What we learned is that scripture, all of scripture, is God-breathed and points to Jesus, the Incarnate Word, as the standard bearer of Who God truly is. It was a great night! Dr. Chris Green is a brilliant mind, gifted communicator, and he shares with a pastoral sensitivity. Enjoy.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm still deciding on whenever or not I believe in God or not.

I don't believe that God is not good anymore because of any negative circumstances or occurrences that are happening in my life (I don't blame or point fingers at "God" for anything. Life is simply prone to negative things). I simply believe that God is not good due to what is stated in the bible.

This may seem like a stupid question, but, why do you (a Christian) think that God is good?
Could you update us on your feelings about this?
You seemed to have been on the fence. Which way did you go?
Or are you still on the fence?

• Friendly
Reactions: Deade
Upvote 0

Bruce Leiter

A sinner saved by God's astounding grace and love
Jun 16, 2018
West Michigan
Visit site
✟56,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are many things, but just to name a few:

Hosea 13:16

2 Kings 2:23-24
God is good, but he's also just. He shows his justice about human mockery about him and his servants. You're opposed to him because he judges people, it seems. However, as our creator, he has every right to judge us with his perfect justice as our righteous Judge. On the other hand, the Father expressed his justice by declaring his Son, Jesus, guilty as he suffered and died for believers. Will you receive his guilty or not guilty verdict at the Last Judgment?

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Davy

Site Supporter
Nov 25, 2017
USA
✟267,597.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm still deciding on whenever or not I believe in God or not.

I don't believe that God is not good anymore because of any negative circumstances or occurrences that are happening in my life (I don't blame or point fingers at "God" for anything. Life is simply prone to negative things). I simply believe that God is not good due to what is stated in the bible.

This may seem like a stupid question, but, why do you (a Christian) think that God is good?

Before you ask this kind of question, you should try asking Him to open up His Word to you, and then get down to study of all of His Word. Then you'd be qualified to ask this kind of question, IF... you still doubted Him then. But somehow I don't believe you would doubt Him after doing that. Until you do that, your doubt doesn't mean much, nor will it turn any of His away from Him.

• Friendly
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums