Somewhere in the Midwest
✟68,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I'm still deciding on whenever or not I believe in God or not.

I don't believe that God is not good anymore because of any negative circumstances or occurrences that are happening in my life (I don't blame or point fingers at "God" for anything. Life is simply prone to negative things). I simply believe that God is not good due to what is stated in the bible.

This may seem like a stupid question, but, why do you (a Christian) think that God is good?

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This may seem like a stupid question, but, why do you (a Christian) think that God is good?
Knowing about Original Sin, what other standard can I go by...?

"Then Jesus said to the twelve,
'Do you also want to go away?'

But Simon Peter answered Him,
'Lord, to whom shall we go?
You have the words of eternal life.
Also we have come to believe and know that You are the Christ,
the Son of the living God.
' ” John 6:67-69 NKJV
Where Could I Go But to The Lord?

(Have you been evaluated for depression?)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,929,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hello @Jaedan, the basis for my belief in/understanding of the goodness and the love of God is found at the foot of the Cross. Furthermore, any temptation by our common enemy to get me to believe otherwise (that God is not good and/or not loving) is quickly set aside as soon as I return there again and consider what, "Jesus Christ and Him crucified", truly means (even in part).

Here are a couple of passages (OT and New) to consider.

Isaiah 53
5 He was pierced through for our transgressions,
He was crushed for our iniquities;
The chastening for our well-being fell upon Him,
And by His scourging we are healed.
6 All of us like sheep have gone astray,
Each of us has turned to his own way;
But the LORD has caused the iniquity of us all
To fall on Him.

Romans 5
8 God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
9 Much more then, having now been justified by His blood, we shall be saved from the wrath of God through Him.
10 For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more, having been reconciled, we shall be saved by His life.

--David

John 3
16 God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.

Upvote 0

ReesePiece23

The Peanut Buttery Member.
Sep 17, 2013
✟288,577.00
Faith
Christian
This'll sound somewhat glib to you now because you're young. But seeing my life manifest exactly as I prayed for at NUMEROUS points in my life - and asking for it in His name, eliminates all doubt for me. I'll often try to be 'with it' but Jesus IS it.

I too, am struggling with facets of my faith at the moment (I'm questioning whether or not I agree with 'the product' other humans pitch) but I never forget or lose faith in Him.

Five or ten years from now, this'll hopefully mean something to you. I pray that whatever you're praying for now, manifests itself in the biggest possible way. Because I want you to see it.

Upvote 0

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟762,613.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
You need direct revelation from the Holy Spirit Jaedan. I implore you to reach out to God in prayer and don't stop until He has revealed Himself in some way. Matthew 16:17

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

I don't believe that God is not good anymore because of any negative circumstances or occurrences that are happening in my life (I don't blame or point fingers at "God" for anything. Life is simply prone to negative things). I simply believe that God is not good due to what is stated in the bible.

I'm thankful for what I've suffered and for the faith He gives me.

Christian Prayer for Others.jpg

Upvote 0

Miles

Student of Life
Mar 6, 2005
USA
✟382,325.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Perhaps I see things a bit differently. To me, good is God. This may not be the most orthodox view, and the difference might seem subtle at first, but I think it can help when interpreting scripture.

The crudest aspects of human behavior to the noblest are laid bare in the Bible. When I see a contradiction between "the good" and our interpretation of God's actions in scripture, our hearts may be misleading us or our interpretations may be incorrect. What seems "plain as day" to one person may seem symbolic or enigmatic to another. Even in antiquity, the Jews often took a metaphorical approach to understanding scripture.

Reactions: Deade
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

Because Jesus said God is good, and Jesus does not lie.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced

Because He is. That may seem like a simplistic answer, but it is the truth. The trouble is that people get mad at God because of His other attributes. He is holy, righteous, pure, will not tolerate lies, does not excuse sin and will judge those who oppose Him. Many people have more respect for movie star than they do for God. If George Clooney says something, it must be true. Utter garbage.

You can pull anything you like out of the Bible and make it say what you want. All that means is that you are deluding yourself. Calling God evil is the stupidest thing that any human can do.
James 1
5Now if any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him. 6But he must ask in faith, without doubting, because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. 7That man should not expect to receive anything from the Lord. 8He is a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways.

13When tempted, no one should say, “God is tempting me.” For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does He tempt anyone. 14But each one is tempted when by his own evil desires he is lured away and enticed. 15Then after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death. 16Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. 17Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, with whom there is no change or shifting shadow. 18He chose to give us birth through the word of truth, that we would be a kind of firstfruits of His creation.

Upvote 0

In-Christ-Alone

Feb 28, 2021
Birmingham
✟9,780.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

then very sadly you have been completely deceived by the devil! IF, as you even suggest, that God in your personal view, is not "Good", then you are agreeing with the other side, that God is "Bad"! What does this make the devil? Good? What about God's ultra Holy Character? What about God's Righteousness? Your thinking is VERY dangerous, and you must repent of these thoughts and ask the Lord to forgive you, and help you to defeat the devils LIES about Him. Look, for example at a couple of verse, Genesis 18:25, "Shall not the Judge of all the earth do right?". And Romans 3:4, "God forbid: yea, let God be true, but every man a liar". And verses like Isaiah 6:3 become a lie, "And one called to another and said: “Holy, holy, holy is the LORD of hosts; the whole earth is full of his glory!”. I am praying for you...

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,611.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
'The Lord appeared from of old to me [Israel], saying, Yes, I have loved you with an everlasting love; therefore with loving-kindness have I drawn you and continued My faithfulness to you." Jer 31:3

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." John 3:16

He gives us life each day:
-“This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.” (Psa 118:24)
-“The spirit of God hath made me, and the breath of the Almighty hath given me life.” Job 33:4
"I will put ligaments on you, place muscles on you, and cover you with skin. I will put breath in you, and you will live. Then you will know that I am Yahweh." Eze 37:6

"... from the creation of the world, the invisible qualities of God’s nature have been made visible, such as his eternal power and transcendence. He has made his wonderful attributes easily perceived, for seeing the visible makes us understand the invisible...." Rom 1:20

God's word is Spirit and life to us (John 6:63) and by keeping His Word before us, it is "... health to all their flesh." Pro 4:22 An example 'A merry heart doeth good like a medicine: ..." Pro 17:22 God designed us so that our immune systems are improved when we have a merry heart. etc

God gives us rain (Psa 147:8, Lev 26:4, Deut 28:12, Jer 5:24, Matt 5:45, Actsc14:17).

Our God has many titles, names, and attributes including:
  1. "Jehovah Nissi (The Lord My Banner)
  2. Jehovah Raah (The Lord My Shepherd)
  3. Jehovah Rapha (The Lord That Heals)
  4. Jehovah Tsidkenu (The Lord Our Righteousness)
  5. Jehovah Mekoddishkem (The Lord Who Sanctifies You)
  6. EJehovah Jireh (The Lord Will Provide)
  7. Jehovah Shalom (The Lord Is Peace)
  8. (source: instaencouragements.com)
ETC

Last edited:
Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

John 3:16

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

longwait

Mar 14, 2016
asia
✟85,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I simply believe that God is not good due to what is stated in the bible.

Even after He died such a barbaric, horrific death for us (and that too for our sins!) on the cross?!

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Could you provide some specific scriptures that you are having difficulty with? It is very difficult to deal with the generality you have made, so lets go after the specifics that are causing you to feel the way you do at the moment.

Upvote 0

Joined2krist

Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
✟427,078.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Because of the Cross. God became man and sacrificed Himself for mankind so that we can be reconciled to Him, and He did this while we were still sinners, forgiving us all and paying our depth.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I simply believe that God is not good due to what is stated in the bible.
It occurs to me, Jaedan, that it would help us if you would say exactly what you are thinking of when you say "due to what is stated in the bible."

• Agree
Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0