Visit site
✟20,861.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I believe that God forgives desperation and actions caused by it.

I also think that God didn't specifically tell us in His Word whether or not it denies admittance to heaven, because it is not His plan for us. And I am sure He knew that if He would have said, "Suicide is forgiven" then so many people would choose heaven instead of fighting throgh stuff with God's help.

Upvote 0

dayknee

Mar 13, 2007
Indiana
✟9,435.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I believe that God forgives desperation and actions caused by it.

I also think that God didn't specifically tell us in His Word whether or not it denies admittance to heaven, because it is not His plan for us. And I am sure He knew that if He would have said, "Suicide is forgiven" then so many people would choose heaven instead of fighting throgh stuff with God's help.

Im not sure I understand what you're saying.

What leads you to believe that God forgives desperation and actions caused by desperation? ( or were you saying depression)
In either case..there is no scripture to say that he does. What he does say is that once you are saved, that nothing can seperate you from the love of God. He also says there is no condemnation for those who are in Christ. That would have to apply to all sin..being in the body, there is nothing one can do to remove themselves...or they were never truly saved to begin with.
God did not specifically call out many things that we should not do, including suicide, but we know we shouldn't do it. We also know we should not lie, cheat, steal, covet and murder..but ALL are forgivable sins..just like suicide.
Suicide is a selsfish act. Suicide hurts those who are left behind..suicide is for the hopeless and desperate. Suicide is what people do when they do not trust their Savior to see them through and realize His plan for us.
Suicide is awful and painful and completely selfish.
But....
if someone is saved, meaning they believe Jesus died on the cross for their sins...ALL OF THEM...they will go to heaven.

Upvote 0

TCat

Daily surrender
Mar 23, 2007
usa
✟10,087.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I am so sorry for the loss of your friend.

Several yrs ago I suffered from a terrible depression and at that time suicide seemed like a viable and tempting way to end the torment in my head and heart. At that time, even though I had a family and loving friends, I believed that they would be better off without me.
Thankfully God intervened before I pulled the trigger and ended my life. Through the Holy Spirit, prayer, and therapy I am now able to see things in a different light but I do believe that had I ended my life in the midst of that pain and suffering I would have been forgiven by grace.
I do not believe that God condems mentally ill Christians for harming themselves. And I would take exception to anyone who might suggest that Christians would not fall into that catagory.

Upvote 0

Bamboo_Chicken

Once a Steffi, forever a Bamboo Chicken
Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2004
New South Wales
Visit site
✟39,912.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Private
My friend's mom committed suicide Monday morning.
I'm really sorry to hear that - sending hugs you're way if that's ok :hug:. I'll be praying for your friend's family. I also recently lost a friend to suicide :(.

Upvote 0

Rosalila

Oct 18, 2008
✟8,018.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
We are all in the same boat. We are all deserving of the penalty of death because we are born in sin. Once washed clean by the blood of Christ we are no longer guilty. If the person that commited suicide belongs to Christ then he is one of his forgiven and set free. If he did not know Christ, then he will have to face judgement like every other human being that does not accept Christ.

Even if someone sins 'after' they have received salvation, they are still saved. When Christ did for us all on the cross ALL OF OUR SINS were future sins because we were not yet born.

But then this begs the question:

Why would a saved person act upon suicidal feelings? I thought that was only for the hopeless. Now, I'm not saying that saved people don't struggle with this and feel at times hopeless but to go so far as to carry it out. . .I don't know. Does not the Holy Spirit keep us from acting upon our feelings if they are sinful or bad for us?

Upvote 0

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟74,521.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
The biblical understanding of the nature and dignity of humanity lies behind the church's condemnation of divorce. But nowhere in Scripture is their any clear statement that suicide and hell are automatically related.

I am sure God understands the darkness and its desperation that can drive a person towards suicide.

John
NZ

Upvote 0

Bamboo_Chicken

Once a Steffi, forever a Bamboo Chicken
Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2004
New South Wales
Visit site
✟39,912.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Private

Why would a saved person act upon suicidal feelings? I thought that was only for the hopeless. Now, I'm not saying that saved people don't struggle with this and feel at times hopeless but to go so far as to carry it out. . .I don't know. Does not the Holy Spirit keep us from acting upon our feelings if they are sinful or bad for us?
It depends what you believe of mental health. The pastor at my friend's church likened mental illness to physical illness and said that we can no more blame an individual who struggled with depression as we could somebody who passed away because of cancer. For someone who struggles with depression and sucidal thoughts, the point of actually attempting can come when they suddenly have 'tunnel vision' and often cannot even control their actions. I can no more hold someone responsible for a suicide than I would a death of some other kind when it's more than likely that at the time they were in no state to stop themselves.

Reactions: Rosalila
Upvote 0
H

Hosannainthehighest

In my experience as a Christian, the Holy Spirit does NOT keep me from acting upon sinful or bad feelings, unless I have asked, and even then it is still my choice and many times my feelings have been stronger than my faith and i've made a wrong decision...even knowingly. I would dare to say that suicide is the most extreme form of this in the Christian context. The sad thing is that suicide does not give you more opportunity whereas other unhelpful choices can be learned from and hopefully changed at the next opportunity to trial a better behaviour.

Upvote 0

wonderwaleye

Dec 23, 2005
MISSISSIPPI
✟5,952.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The good thing about this is that we are not allowed to judge. We can't say one way or the other on just how GOD will handle this.

I do know if this person was in clinical depression and in so much pain that they just couldn't take anymore, is certainly a reason for thinking about doing it. This happened to me. Folks that have never had this happen can not fathom the pain associated with it. Most folks that say they are depressed have no real Idea what clinical depression is like.

I was a hair away from completing this act as I had it all planned out but the ONLY thing that stopped me was GOD'S WORD:

The Book of WisdomChapter 1

Court not death by your erring way of life, nor draw to yourselves destruction by the works of your hands.

Because God did not make death, nor does he rejoice in the destruction of the living.

The real sad part of this is this person may never had been lead to GOD'S WORD, or if they were they failed to read it.

LOVE

steven :hug:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Morghaine

Studying
Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2006
Ozark MO
✟63,138.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
MOD HAT ON!
v0_master.jpg

This thread was moved to Christian Advice from
Women's Discussion. We would like to ask that you review the FSG's, found here, before posting.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to let an Edification Team member know!
Thank you!

May the Lord bless and keep you all!

MOD HAT OFF!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.