[Moved from Divorced or Separated] Repentance and forgiveness in divorce

marksaysay

Mar 27, 2011
✟15,309.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
So I did a study on forgiveness and repentance and was reminded that many have a misunderstanding of it, especially as it relates to divorce. According to scripture, divorce is a sin (without any biblical grounds) and I don't think many would disagree. But what many will disagree about is the fact that God will forgive if we confess it. While God does require that we confess our sins, he also requires that we repent, or turn away from our sins. In regards to divorce, what does that mean? It means that repentance requires you to reconcile because voluntarily walking away from the vows you made to God are the sins.

I did not specifically look to invalidate the idea of God forgiving the sin of divorce without repentance for I realized that there are things in my life that I've confessed but haven't repented of. But with some of the comments I've seen regarding divorce, I thought it would be a good place to add this bit of info.

FaithPrevails

May 7, 2006
Far, far away from here
✟18,154.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Not everyone who has walked away has done so voluntarily, though. I'm not really sure this is the right place for this discussion, though - since it is a place to seek/provide support. It might be better discussed in Christian Philosophy & Ethics. :)

Upvote 0
Jul 26, 2002
Canada
✟35,277.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think it's the wrong choice of words to call divorce a "sin", as much as it is simply not God's ideal for marriages. God's ideal is also for committed, faithful spouses. If you are feeling God speaking to your heart about your own situation, you need to very prayerfully and honestly consider what He is impressing on you. I don't believe there is one pat answer for each couples' problem/s.

Consider this; God Himself is divorced from Israel. (Jer. 3:8), but He does always beg for their repentance and reconciliation.

Upvote 0

marksaysay

Mar 27, 2011
✟15,309.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Notice that I stated divorce is a sin WITHOUT biblical grounds. I didn't say all divorce even though God has allowed it with the out clauses given in Matthew and I Corinthians. But anything else IS sin because the reasons for the divorce are simply selfish, i.e. neglect, doesn't talk enough, doesn't do what I want, I need to get myself together, I want to have fun, etc.

And in the case of God's "divorce" of Israel, He had grounds via their unfaithfulness or spiritual adultery.

Upvote 0

FaithPrevails

May 7, 2006
Far, far away from here
✟18,154.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
As I said before, since the sub-forum description says:

A new forum for the support of divorced or separated Christians.

I don't really think this is the right place for this discussion. If you want to discuss/debate this, please start a thread in a more appropriate forum.

Upvote 0

marksaysay

Mar 27, 2011
✟15,309.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
As I said before, since the sub-forum description says:

A new forum for the support of divorced or separated Christians.

I don't really think this is the right place for this discussion. If you want to discuss/debate this, please start a thread in a more appropriate forum.

Can a mod move the thread? If so, how do I contact them?

Upvote 0

FaithPrevails

May 7, 2006
Far, far away from here
✟18,154.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Notice that I stated divorce is a sin WITHOUT biblical grounds. I didn't say all divorce even though God has allowed it with the out clauses given in Matthew and I Corinthians. But anything else IS sin because the reasons for the divorce are simply selfish, i.e. neglect, doesn't talk enough, doesn't do what I want, I need to get myself together, I want to have fun, etc.

And in the case of God's "divorce" of Israel, He had grounds via their unfaithfulness or spiritual adultery.

Ok, now I will respond. :D

I don't disagree that the reasons that you mentioned as "selfish" are not sinful reasons to leave divorce. But, I cannot imagine what it would be like to live out years of my life being neglected. The other reasons seem petty, IMO. But, the neglect one is one I would support.

But, I don't believe that God won't forgive that sin unless the person reconciles with their estranged/ex-spouse.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

marksaysay

Mar 27, 2011
✟15,309.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I understand the neglect is difficult but it still isn't biblical. And from what I've learned, neglect usually is a 2-way street. Odds are if one spouse is being neglected in ways, so is the other. The case is usually that one spouse is so focused on their needs being met that they don't see how they are not meeting the needs of the other.

And yes, I agree that Gods forgiveness is based on repentance and ultimately the reconciliation. Gods purpose of our forgiveness is always to restore our broken relationship with him.

Upvote 0