[Moved from Christian Forum Angels] found money, what does one do?

chingchang

Jul 17, 2008
New Braunfels, Texas
✟10,259.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
if you happen to find money (a little or a lot) and are unable to find the source despite looking hard, is it alright for you to keep it?​

Of course it is o.k. It is a test though...IMHO...

CC

Upvote 0

Armistead14

Mar 18, 2006
✟9,449.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I once found a wallet on the street with about 4K in cash. It had no ID, nothing to link it to a person. I was only about 22 years old in the 80's so that was big money. I was a strong fundy then so I reported it to the police and filed. Seems I had to wait 10 days then, I did, the money was mine. I spent a lot of it when a month later two long haired wild men were knocking on my apt. door....they heard I found their money. They actually lived just a block away. I called the police....police said they were drug sellers and probably why no ID, had been arrested many times.

Upvote 0
N

Niemander

I found three $100 bills on the sidewalk years ago. Have no clue how they got there - the person who dropped them must have just done so, but I saw no one.

I took them to the police station, not feeling right about just pocketing the money.

In 30 days the police released it and I picked up the money because no one had claimed it.

I didn't know what else to do. I had no way of finding out whose money it was.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Simonline

The Inquisitor
Aug 8, 2002
North West England
Visit site
✟13,927.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
if you happen to find money (a little or a lot) and are unable to find the source despite looking hard, is it alright for you to keep it?

In the good old days, one was supposed to hand it in at one's local constabulary (police station) and obtain a receipt for it. If the money had not been claimed by its rightful owner within 26 weeks (6 months) then one became the rightful owner of the money and could then dispose of it as one saw fit.

Simonline.

Upvote 0

Simonline

The Inquisitor
Aug 8, 2002
North West England
Visit site
✟13,927.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
I once found a wallet on the street with about 4K in cash. It had no ID, nothing to link it to a person. I was only about 22 years old in the 80's so that was big money. I was a strong fundy then so I reported it to the police and filed. Seems I had to wait 10 days then, I did, the money was mine. I spent a lot of it when a month later two long haired wild men were knocking on my apt. door....they heard I found their money. They actually lived just a block away. I called the police....police said they were drug sellers and probably why no ID, had been arrested many times.

10 days was no-where near long enough to give the rightful owners reasonable time to claim it. In my neck of the woods it used to be 26 weeks (6 months).

Simonline.

Upvote 0

Simonline

The Inquisitor
Aug 8, 2002
North West England
Visit site
✟13,927.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
I found three $100 bills on the sidewalk years ago. Have no clue how they got there - the person who dropped them must have just done so, but I saw no one.

I took them to the police station, not feeling right about just pocketing the money.

In 30 days the police released it and I picked up the money because no one had claimed it.

I didn't know what else to do. I had no way of finding out whose money it was.

A ligitimate windfall on your part. Don't feel guilty about it. For all you know it could have been placed there deliberately for you by an angel? You did the right thing. You have nothing about which to recriminate yourself?

Simonline.

Upvote 0