[Moved from Am Politics] "Pro Life" Pharmacist is okay with woman bleeding to death

Skaloop

Agnostic atheist, pro-choice anti-abortion
May 10, 2006
Burnaby
Visit site
✟29,046.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
I was going in order and that post was next in line. But since you brought it up, yes it is entirely possible that the law will not support what the pharmacist did. I suspect that the case against the pharmacist is likely close to the one laid out by metherion. But I dont think we have heard the pharmacists side of the story yet (have we?) so we will have to wait and see. But yes, if this particular drug was not intended to be covered under this law then her moral objection will have no legal backing. And if she did not clear her objection to this particular drug with her employer in advance, she acted without the consent of her employer and in a way that may in fact be harmful to her employer and may very well be canned. And for the record, if all those things turn out to be true, then Walgreens would be morally justified in terminating her

Sounds good; I was just checking.

Upvote 0
J

Justa Guy

Then how would you, as a member of the "pro-life" movement, characterize this pharacist's actions?

It's been a while since I posted on this issue but I believe in an earlier post I already stated that it is not the action I would take. I personally find her action repugnant. Whether it was unethical or illegal is up to her peers and the legal system to decide.

Upvote 0

FreeSpirit74

Contra Dancing Pagan Warrior
Mar 15, 2006
Troy, NY temporarily displaced to Schenectady, NY
Visit site
✟11,834.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
There's no mention this has anything to do with religion. The pharmacist could have been against abortion but not religious, or could have just been irritated the nurse was not violating the patients privacy and then hung up the phone on them because they didn't get their way.

Regardless or whether the pharmacist's actions stemmed from religious beliefs or not, it was still bad customer service of the worst kind. When someone is working in a customer service capacity, their personal feelings and belief system must be checked at the door if it will in any way impede their ablility to do the job properly.

Upvote 0

JustMeSee

Contributor
Feb 9, 2008
In my living room.
✟23,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I see. So me, as a black man, goes into a McDonalds and they refuse to serve me because the manager does not sell to black people. Would you tell me to simply go to one of the other twenty McDonalds in town?
That seems to be Rand Paul's position.
Also, you are making the assumption that any of the twenty other McDonalds will serve you and/or allow you to use their restrooms do to the color of your skin.

YouTube - Where Rand Paul stands on the Civil Rights Act

Upvote 0

lordbt

$
Feb 23, 2007
Mentor, Ohio
✟19,508.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
That seems to be Rand Paul's position.
Also, you are making the assumption that any of the twenty other McDonalds will serve you and/or allow you to use their restrooms do to the color of your skin.
Rand Paul was making a philosophical argument. Which is always dangerous when so many have their heads stuck in concrete.

Upvote 0

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
Rand Paul was making a philosophical argument. Which is always dangerous when so many have their heads stuck in concrete.

So Rand Paul was just making noise, and spouting a position contrary to one he actually believes in?

Upvote 0

JustMeSee

Contributor
Feb 9, 2008
In my living room.
✟23,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Noted. It is doing harm to reject a filling when there are a DOZEN OTHER PHARMACISTS WITHIN A MILE. Duly noted.
You are assuming that one of the dozen other pharmacies will fill the prescription. They might also assume that the bleeding was due an abortion.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JustMeSee

Contributor
Feb 9, 2008
In my living room.
✟23,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
It is clear that your intelligence is far superior to mine, but is it necessary to insult me?

Upvote 0

lordbt

$
Feb 23, 2007
Mentor, Ohio
✟19,508.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
"In a letter obtained by The Associated Press on Tuesday, executive director Mark Johnston told Planned Parenthood that the board concluded the pharmacist didn't violate patient confidentiality laws by inquiring if she had received an abortion.

In addition, Johnston said there was no requirement in the Idaho Pharmacy Act for a pharmacist to fill a prescription."

Looks like all you armchair lawyers can go back to your day jobs.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
"In a letter obtained by The Associated Press on Tuesday, executive director Mark Johnston told Planned Parenthood that the board concluded the pharmacist didn't violate patient confidentiality laws by inquiring if she had received an abortion.

In addition, Johnston said there was no requirement in the Idaho Pharmacy Act for a pharmacist to fill a prescription."

Looks like all you armchair lawyers can go back to your day jobs.

I sure hope you're including yourself there, bud.

Besides, I wasn't even arguing from a legal standpoint. I still think that what the pharmacist did was reprehensible. I firmly place her in the same category as abortion providers. Having the law on your side doesn't necessarily make your actions moral.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JustMeSee

Contributor
Feb 9, 2008
In my living room.
✟23,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I sure hope you're including yourself there, bud.

Besides, I wasn't even arguing from a legal standpoint. I still think that what the pharmacist did was reprehensible. I firmly place her in the same category as abortion providers. Having the law on your side doesn't necessarily make your actions moral.
And interesting enough, we are now in Ethics & Morality instead of American Politics.

I am glad that my pharmacists behave better than the one in the story.

Upvote 0

metherion

Veteran
Aug 14, 2006
✟13,623.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
So, if the pharmacist is never required to fill a prescription, then why do they need this law?

Walgreen's should still fire her, and would be under no moral culpability for doing so And until I hear that that is done, I won't shop at a walgreen's again.

Metherion

Reactions: JustMeSee
Upvote 0

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat

Of course not -- it's not illegal to just ask someone else to commit an illegal act; only to try to force them to.

So the Act is completely pointless -- the pharmacist is free to ignore any prescription request, regardless of whether or not it "violates his conscience."

Upvote 0

lordbt

$
Feb 23, 2007
Mentor, Ohio
✟19,508.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Of course not -- it's not illegal to just ask someone else to commit an illegal act; only to try to force them to.

So the Act is completely pointless -- the pharmacist is free to ignore any prescription request, regardless of whether or not it "violates his conscience."
Ah, the real armchair lawyer has returned to the scene to now pretend he understood what was happening all along. I only picked through about the first ten pages of this thread, but it was enough to get a snippet of some of your greatests hits.

So why did the pharmacist decide to break the law, when it was so simple to follow it?

And it just proves that the pharmacist is a criminal and an idiot.

We already know that the pharmacist broke one law and tried to get the PP rep on the phone to break another.

Breaking the law = criminal.

QED.

This pharmacist broke the law on account of a moral/ethical opinion which he had no way of knowing was even the case.

It's one thing to fight for a cause, but to do so for no cause = idiocy.

QED indeed.

Upvote 0

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
Ah, the real armchair lawyer has returned to the scene to now pretend he understood what was happening all along. I only picked through about the first ten pages of this thread, but it was enough to get a snippet of some of your greatests hits.

You really have nothing to contribute, is that it?

QED indeed.

It's nice to have fans -- even pathetic ones.

Upvote 0