Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This one was pretty bad, as persecutions go.

I do not have time for 30 min videos, but I recall reading about Diocletian, probably from Eusebius Pamphili. During the time of Nero Christians were blamed for a fire that destroyed a large part of Rome. Peter and Paul were executed. There was a Jewish revolt in 66 AD. Vespasian and his son Titus were victorious over Judaea. Much of the Jewish Christian church was decimated. Within ten years of the persecution of the Roman emperor Diocletian, Constantine was victorious at the Milan Bridge against another Roman army c. 28 October 312 CE (Christian Era). Before the battle Constantine had a vision from God instructing him to put the sign of the cross on his shield. After Constantine was crowned emperor, he legalized Christianity. Some time later animal sacrifices were abolished. During a later time gladiator fights to the death were abolished. Jesus is Lord.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
do not have time for 30 min videos

Neither do I.

The interesting question is why did actualised bunch of social outcasts come to be the most populous group in the Roman empire.

Proclaiming a God that died, by the most disgusting and degrading death normally reserved for slave, tractors and barbarians. A. God that expected one to change one's behaviour, to value others not of your set.
That those Christians did care, surfing the plagues when others were throwing sick members of there families out abandoning neighbours etc, it was the Christians who provided basic nursing, gave food and water to the sick that allowed many to survive.

That changed people's attitudes and in time changed the empire.

Reactions: dqhall
Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Neither do I.

The interesting question is why did actualised bunch of social outcasts come to be the most populous group in the Roman empire.

Proclaiming a God that died, by the most disgusting and degrading death normally reserved for slave, tractors and barbarians. A. God that expected one to change one's behaviour, to value others not of your set.
That those Christians did care, surfing the plagues when others were throwing sick members of there families out abandoning neighbours etc, it was the Christians who provided basic nursing, gave food and water to the sick that allowed many to survive.

That changed people's attitudes and in time changed the empire.
The Gospel of John emphasized that God knew more than Jesus, even though Jesus was blessed to bring forth miracles. About his second coming Jesus remarked that even he did not know when a new heaven and earth would be created, only his father - Matthew 24:36.

I was reading about the archaeology of Temple of Artemis/Diana at Ephesus. They found various inscriptions and texts chiseled in marble. The Graeco-Romans had numerous statues in stone, silver and gold to depict their goddess. Sometimes they carried them down to the theater/odium in a festival procession and worshipped them. They pretended like these things had great importance and power. The officials of this cult were upset when Paul began to draw crowds with his teachings about Jesus. As a result the Artemis cult officials became less important in the eyes of some of the people.

Jesus did not need a temple with silver, gold and stone statues to draw crowds.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian