[MOVED] Can you trace your personal heritage to slavery, either slave or owner?

Can you trace your personal heritage to slavery, either slave or owner?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟699,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thought it was an interesting question.

I am the son of an immigrant and can trace my family back to the same plot of land in the 1700,s. So, I cannot

was wondering if anyone can.

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟556,742.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
No that I'm aware of, no. My dad's entire family and half of my mom's immigrated in the late 19th/early 20th century. The other half of my mom's family have been in NY & MA since the 1600's.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟775,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I traced the majority of my family lines back to the 1400s on one side and 1600s on the other - no slave owners so far as I can tell, they just weren't in that type of social or monetary position.

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟319,876.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't know. I do know my mom's side of the family immigrated to the US (separately) in the late 1800s, after the Civil War, so they weren't involved. However, I don't know that much about the origins of my dad's side. I do know that my grandmother's family was extremely poor and from Pennsylvania, so they're unlikely to have been slaveowners. Pretty sure they also came over in the late 1800s or early 1900s as well - my grandmother grew up speaking Polish. However, I couldn't tell you much at all about my grandfather's family. I know my great grandfather was in the Army and stationed in Panama in the 1920s and 30s, but that's about as far back as I've been able to trace.

Reactions: Broken Fence
Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,161,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
My mother's side owned slaves. Which is a scary thought, considering how brutal that side of the family treated their own family members. Emotional dysfunction and outright sadism on that side. I only learned about this a few years ago. Admittedly several years ago such a revelation would have filled me with white guilt (used to have a real problem with that), fortunately I have since then learned not to feel guilty for my ancestors sins. I can sympathize with their pain, but ultimately it wasn't I who caused it.

Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟329,210.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The vast majority of my ancestors immigrated from England and Denmark around the middle of the 19th Century (most I think in the years before the Civil War) and had no slaves. I did have one branch that I can date back to before the Revolutionary War; however, they lived in New York and I have not found any evidence they ever had any type of slave (or indentured servant).

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
thread moved.png

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟373,369.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
My mother's family came from Poland and Germany in the late 19th century. Not slave owners. But both her father and mother wound up in GA. Where I was born. And I know my grandfather had "colored" people working for him. (That was considered a polite term back in the day.)

I know very little about my father's side. His people were Russian and German. I think they also emigrated in the later 19th century. The family legend is that my great-grandfather left Russia as a young man because he didn't want to be drafted into the Czar's army. I'm sure conditions weren't very pleasant in the Russian military. Ordinary foot-soldier draftees were probably close to being slaves themselves.

So no known slave owners in my ancestry. Just a draft dodger. :oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Thought it was an interesting question.

I am the son of an immigrant and can trace my family back to the same plot of land in the 1700,s. So, I cannot

was wondering if anyone can.

My family history is being a slave.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
A few years ago I traced my lineage through my maternal grandmother's father's line (as it was the line that ended up seeming to have the most information I could gather), I was able to trace that line paternally back to about 1750 to an ancestor who lived in Maryland. Up until my great grandmother, after my great grandfather's death, moved the family from Missouri to Washington in the 40's, much of that lineage had lived in Missouri after moving their from Maryland.

Given that information, my suspicions are that yeah, I very likely am directly descended to some who owned slaves.

As an aside, general information I can find is that the original Mudds (the line through which I traced) came to Maryland in the mid 1600's, though I was only able to trace back to the 1750's, this would make my family line a possible sister lineage to the family which gave rise to Dr. Samuel Mudd--how closely related I have no idea however.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums