• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Mother Gavrilia - Those Pesky Priests

Discussion in 'The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox' started by SalemsConcordance, Mar 6, 2021.

1. SalemsConcordance

SalemsConcordance Member

+126
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    I just learned today of Mother Gavrilia, then found this nice article that struck me, since I enjoy Fr Michael Gillis' podcast (~10 minute practical "in the world" homilies with a nice bite).

Those Pesky Priests: A Lesson From The Life of Sister Gavrilia – Praying in the Rain
    This is why we have to do our best to love one another and strive not to put expectations on one another. God must be our only Saviour. God will use people, but people will disappoint. Someone recently told me that she had said to someone else who wanted to speak to her about spiritual things (based on some articles she had written), that she would only agree to speak to her if she promised to have very low expectations. And do you know what this other woman said? She said, “Only God can help me.” So my friend said, “I’d love to talk to you.”

Wouldn’t our life together be so much easier if we all truly believed that only God could help us? Wouldn’t we experience much less disappointment if we kept our expectations low toward one another and high toward God? Mother Gavrilia provides a wonderful example of a woman who had no expectations except that God would help her. And God did help her–and this is important–through people! God speaks to us, encourages us, helps us, and cares for us most often through the people He has put in our life. When we are looking to God for help, it is easy to see God’s help in the people in our lives, rather than seeing how the people themselves do or don’t live up to our expectations.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. prodromos

prodromos Senior Veteran Supporter

+8,173
    Australia
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I loved reading "Ascetic of Love". Would that I could be a tiny fraction of the example that she was in witnessing Christ to the world.

3. ArmyMatt

ArmyMatt Regular Member Supporter

+15,613
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    great post. definitely something to chew on.

4. Dorothea

Dorothea One of God's handmaidens

+1,928
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
    Me too. That book and her life story changed my worldview completely after reading it. Her words and life really impacted me years ago when I read it and stick with me to this day.

5. SingularityOne

SingularityOne Well-Known Member Supporter

+581
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Do you know where I can find that book? I’ve been looking everywhere for it.

6. prodromos

+8,173
    Australia
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Try contacting the publisher directly.

The Ascetic of Love by Nun Gavrilia (my copy is 2nd edition, ISBN 9607298-85-3)

"To Perivoli tin Panagias" Bookstore
    9 Prassakaki St, Thessaloniki, 54622 Greece
    [email protected]

They've got it in Greek, just over 17 euros (probably cost just as much for shipping)
    Η Ασκητική της Αγάπης - Βιβλιοπωλείο - Εκδόσεις Το Περιβόλι της Παναγίας

Last edited: Mar 14, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  7. prodromos

+8,173
    Australia
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. SingularityOne

SingularityOne Well-Known Member Supporter

+581
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Thanks! Yeah. Probably better to check to see if they have some English copies around before spending that much.