United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Most millennials are intimidated by plants, survey finds

Seven in 10 millennials consider themselves “plant parents,” according to new research.

While millennial demand for houseplants is high, a poll of 2,000 millennials (aged 25–39) revealed that 67 percent say taking care of plants is more of a challenge than they bargained for.

The study, conducted by OnePoll in conjunction with Article, examined the attitudes and behaviors of millennials toward plants and uncovered that 22 percent are apprehensive about owning a plant because they’ve accidentally killed one in the past.

“Plants are an easy way to add color and life to any space," said Zoe Garred, director of product development at Article. "The survey revealed millennials’ desire to incorporate plants into their home despite the apprehension and challenges associated with plant care.”

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

OK after reading the article I've got it
and I guess it makes sense?
First see if I can keep a plant alive?
If so possibly move up and get a pet?
If the pet stays healthy?
Maybe have a child someday?

This is a interesting group.

M-Bob

Last edited:

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Considering how many of them come from broken homes without an example for pretty much anything to identify with, I guess it makes sense to start small with a plant.

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Considering how many of them come from broken homes without an example for pretty much anything to identify with, I guess it makes sense to start small with a plant.

Yes, it seems that all of the sin and sinning since the Fall is catching up with us.

Lord have mercy on us.
M-Bob

Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟195,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Caring for a plant =/= caring for a pet =/= caring for a child. They are a totally different set of skills.

And, frankly, the “stupid Millennial” narrative is getting old... I don’t think the people who rag on Millennials have any comprehension that half of what they complain about Gen Y doing is contradictory.

Upvote 0

Hiep

Jan 17, 2020
watertown
✟104,437.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

Seven in 10 millennials consider themselves “plant parents,” according to new research.

While millennial demand for houseplants is high, a poll of 2,000 millennials (aged 25–39) revealed that 67 percent say taking care of plants is more of a challenge than they bargained for.

The study, conducted by OnePoll in conjunction with Article, examined the attitudes and behaviors of millennials toward plants and uncovered that 22 percent are apprehensive about owning a plant because they’ve accidentally killed one in the past.

“Plants are an easy way to add color and life to any space," said Zoe Garred, director of product development at Article. "The survey revealed millennials’ desire to incorporate plants into their home despite the apprehension and challenges associated with plant care.”

M-Bob

I find it easier own a cat, Just give Philadelphia creamy Cheese in the morning and the cat takes care of itself.

Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Politically Liberal Christian Fundamentalist
Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

M-Bob
Slow news day? Who cares? At all?

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

M-Bob
Honey let's try something new.
Let's buy one of those house plant things.
I don't think so babe.
I killed one of those 30 years ago.
It scared me watching it die!
M-Bob

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

First? lol its a rather silly article, and it amazing me that people are getting defensive over it. Just millennials? Nope. There are many generations of plant murderer's. lol!

Problem is that house plants right now are a fad, and people in general don't take fads to seriously over the long haul. Some people do that fine they appreciate the hobby. Other's kill a couple and drop it and move on. That has been happening forever. Everytime the hobby comes to fad levels, and the serious ones that enjoy it continue.

Encourage people to google the plants they think is awesome, and see if their home is appropriate for that plant. Sometimes it's NOT! You might buy a plant that needs LOADS of sunshine and humid environment, and if you don't have that? It's going to die.

Then you have plants that can handle plenty of neglect, and still sticks around for the occasional attention.

Succulents are popular right now and if you have someone that feels the need to water? They are going to croak. Succulents aren't those that thrive water. They also don't do well with popular soil choices. Unless they know that? They won't thrive with the hobby, but would love it if they choose a different type of plants that LOVES watering and the old stay by miracle grow soil!

It's the same thing with dogs. You have some dogs that needs plenty of exercise otherwise your home will be a nightmare. That's not the dog's fault. It's the human for not looking into what they brought home. It's the same principal here!

Again plants are a fad right now. People buy them, and bring them home....and know nothing about how to care for the plant. Sometimes they are lucky, and other times? You kill them. Heck, sometimes they die even if you do everything RIGHT! That's the reality. They could come home with bugs, and if you don't know what you are looking for? lol that dang plant will kill the rest of them that you have that are doing WELL!

Plant ignorance isn't a generational thing. Now if majority of people take it to the level if I kill a plant I can't handle a kid or pet deal? They need to be told to drop the drama level, and educate themselves. If people put as much attention into plants as they do children? We would have a country FULL of hobby minded plant lovers.

It's like anything else. Look into what you are getting into. Sometimes you find they are pretty to look at, but I will leave the care to others that get into that type of thing.

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Personally speaking, I wouldn't take the mockery seriously from anyone who faithfully defends a man who said the Continental Army took over airports during the Revolutionary War. It's rather amusing to see people from the older generations mock Millennials for anything when they fiercely defend a man who said he doesn't understand wind. Donald Trump can't even spell honor and smoking correctly.

Sounds like they were made in a joking manner.
Some just don't get it.
Understandable.
M-Bob

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
First? lol its a rather silly article, and it amazing me that people are getting defensive over it. Just millennials? Nope. There are many generations of plant murderer's. lol!

Problem is that house plants right now are a fad, and people in general don't take fads to seriously over the long haul. Some people do that fine they appreciate the hobby. Other's kill a couple and drop it and move on. That has been happening forever. Everytime the hobby comes to fad levels, and the serious ones that enjoy it continue.

Encourage people to google the plants they think is awesome, and see if their home is appropriate for that plant. Sometimes it's NOT! You might buy a plant that needs LOADS of sunshine and humid environment, and if you don't have that? It's going to die.

Then you have plants that can handle plenty of neglect, and still sticks around for the occasional attention.

Succulents are popular right now and if you have someone that feels the need to water? They are going to croak. Succulents aren't those that thrive water. They also don't do well with popular soil choices. Unless they know that? They won't thrive with the hobby, but would love it if they choose a different type of plants that LOVES watering and the old stay by miracle grow soil!

It's the same thing with dogs. You have some dogs that needs plenty of exercise otherwise your home will be a nightmare. That's not the dog's fault. It's the human for not looking into what they brought home. It's the same principal here!

Again plants are a fad right now. People buy them, and bring them home....and know nothing about how to care for the plant. Sometimes they are lucky, and other times? You kill them. Heck, sometimes they die even if you do everything RIGHT! That's the reality. They could come home with bugs, and if you don't know what you are looking for? lol that dang plant will kill the rest of them that you have that are doing WELL!

Plant ignorance isn't a generational thing. Now if majority of people take it to the level if I kill a plant I can't handle a kid or pet deal? They need to be told to drop the drama level, and educate themselves. If people put as much attention into plants as they do children? We would have a country FULL of hobby minded plant lovers.

It's like anything else. Look into what you are getting into. Sometimes you find they are pretty to look at, but I will leave the care to others that get into that type of thing.

Amazing how few can't find a little humor in it.
M-Bob

Upvote 0

Kaon

Mar 12, 2018
Los Angeles
✟111,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
Yes, it seems that all of the sin and sinning since the Fall is catching up with us.

Lord have mercy on us.
M-Bob

The bill had to come due some time...

I believe Millenials are taking back control of everything - from superficial to incredible. In fact, I think the scrutiny they face has emboldened them to unify in creating a culture of disdain for the previous generations. The "future" is no longer a certainty tomorrow; philosophy on life must fundamentally change (i.e. YOLO and people recording their petty crimes).

Specifically, all previous ideals, morals, religion and culture of their fathers and mothers are now up for debate, and critique - something atypical in most families.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,873.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
For anyone wanting plants, but intimidated by the difficulty:
6 Houseplants Anyone Can Grow

I have two pothos in hanging pots in a kitchen enterance, and they love it there, in very little sunlight. If you buy a cast iron plant, you will likely find yourself having to divide and repot them, and start giving them away.

Just saying.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

Sistrin

We are such stuff as dreams are made on...
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
Location Location Location
✟197,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

And if their plant dies how many years of therapy will they require?

Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Politically Liberal Christian Fundamentalist
Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Old people who make fun of millennials based on blanket generalizations are doing so because they're scared stiff of the millennials. And they should be - these are the weakest and most ignorant of the old people who do this. OK, boomer....

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Old people who make fun of millennials based on blanket generalizations are doing so because they're scared stiff of the millennials. And they should be - these are the weakest and most ignorant of the old people who do this. OK, boomer....
The way I rationalize it, we Millennials watched remorseless Boomers stash the WW2 generation in horrible nursing homes.

And we took notes.

Reactions: ArmenianJohn
Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Old people
are doing so because they're scared stiff of the millennials.
Well, maybe we should share with you that some of us are related to these millennials and actually we are concerned for their futures and the Country that they will soon be running.

Do they got what it takes?
Hopefully?

How much does it really matter
to us getting older day by day ones?
Not that much because,
we have been told to be anxious for nothing
and when their time comes to be in charge
we will be in heaven.

Thank God
for concerning this issue
His timing (for us) looks to be PERFECT.

M-Bob

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.