Country
United States
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Democrat
I love asking questions here because you are all better informed than I.

So here goes... what is the most liberal/radical prayer/office book you know of. I leave it to you all to define the words liberal and radical yourselves.

CFS

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,133.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
One candidate might be The Book of Common Prayer According to the Use in King's Chapel. King's Chapel is a Unitarian church in Boston which has liturgical worship and a prayer book. The prayer book is a great deal like the one used in the Episcopal Church -- it is descended from the 1662 Anglican prayer book -- but it reflects Unitarian theology. I picked up a copy of the book when I was visiting Boston a few years back. It's a remarkably interesting and unusual church.

See http://www.kings-chapel.org/sunday-at-11-am.html for more details about the church and its prayer book.

• Informative
Reactions: archer75
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟436,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I can't say it's a book that I came across myself...

But I've heard Thomas Jefferson's bible was a rather interesting find. I think it was years after his death that someone who inherited his possessions had found his bible hidden away from anyone who might easily discover it. The reason being that he had personally edited out all the "miracles" and any other "supernatural" phenomena (things like water into wine, walking on water, the resurrection, etc) which he apparently did not believe in.

Obviously, if someone had found this in his day...it would have been blasphemous or at least extremely scandalous. The church and christianity in general had a lot of power back then.

• Agree
Reactions: Silverback
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,503,902.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Well, for me it would probably be the prayer books by Jim Cotter. I remember going to morning prayer once in a parish that was using them (not authorised, by the way, but that's a whole other rant), and actually being shocked at the heresy they expressed. Mind you, that was the better part of ten years ago now, so I don't remember much detail.

Hmm. I see his books have been revised and re-published since then, so maybe the current ones might be less bad. We can hope?

Upvote 0

cseargent

Traditional Roman Catholic
Jan 20, 2011
Loch Sheldrake, NY
✟26,075.00
Country
United States
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Democrat
Well, for me it would probably be the prayer books by Jim Cotter. I remember going to morning prayer once in a parish that was using them (not authorised, by the way, but that's a whole other rant), and actually being shocked at the heresy they expressed. Mind you, that was the better part of ten years ago now, so I don't remember much detail.

Hmm. I see his books have been revised and re-published since then, so maybe the current ones might be less bad. We can hope?

Thank Rev.! I’m going to buy them... I am currently using the 1662 BCP and supplementing with the Monastic Diurnal. So I need a “palate cleanser”.

Upvote 0

cseargent

Traditional Roman Catholic
Jan 20, 2011
Loch Sheldrake, NY
✟26,075.00
Country
United States
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Democrat
One candidate might be The Book of Common Prayer According to the Use in King's Chapel. King's Chapel is a Unitarian church in Boston which has liturgical worship and a prayer book. The prayer book is a great deal like the one used in the Episcopal Church -- it is descended from the 1662 Anglican prayer book -- but it reflects Unitarian theology. I picked up a copy of the book when I was visiting Boston a few years back. It's a remarkably interesting and unusual church.

See Sunday at 11 AM for more details about the church and its prayer book.

Thank you so much for this recommendation. When I began posting on Anglican message boards my spiritual beliefs were in a complete state of upheaval and reformation. I do attend an Episcopal Church but this particular prayer book gets closer to the theology I have chosen to embrace, the theology of Emmanuel Swedenborg.

Who knew when you posted this I would be buying this prayerbook. SMH.

Thank you and God bless

Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

Silverback

Feb 13, 2019
South East
✟66,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I can't say it's a book that I came across myself...

But I've heard Thomas Jefferson's bible was a rather interesting find. I think it was years after his death that someone who inherited his possessions had found his bible hidden away from anyone who might easily discover it. The reason being that he had personally edited out all the "miracles" and any other "supernatural" phenomena (things like water into wine, walking on water, the resurrection, etc) which he apparently did not believe in.

Obviously, if someone had found this in his day...it would have been blasphemous or at least extremely scandalous. The church and christianity in general had a lot of power back then.

I have seen the Jefferson Bible for sale at Barnes & Noble. It seems to me that he cut out and glued to paper the parts he liked, and tossed the rest, it also was in some earlier English than our KJV.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟346,504.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I have seen the Jefferson Bible for sale at Barnes & Noble. It seems to me that he cut out and glued to paper the parts he liked, and tossed the rest, it also was in some earlier English than our KJV.
That's exactly what he did, though he used the KLV. It's possible the edition you saw used the originally spelling instead of the modernized spelling most KJVs use.

Upvote 0