Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
If you only were allowed to pick one book in the Bible that you were allowed to read fir tge rest of your life, what would it be and why?

What an excellent and challenging and difficult question.

Can i get back to you on that?

Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
If you only were allowed to pick one book in the Bible that you were allowed to read fir tge rest of your life, what would it be and why?

Proverbs, it's just such a rich book full of wise words that I can apply to everyday situations.

"The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding"- Proverbs 9:10 NIV

• Winner
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

stuart lawrence

Oct 21, 2015
✟70,925.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Romans, because it goes into the most depth of the gospel message Christ died to usher in

Upvote 0

stevenfrancis

Disciple
Dec 28, 2012
United States
Visit site
✟40,142.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It would have to be a new testament book, because of the incarnation. Most likely one of the Gospels because they are the direct life and teachings, death and resurrection of Jesus. Matthew and Luke directly list out the teachings and beatitudes at some point or another. Luke also has the greatest number of parables to ponder and meditate and pray upon. But then the Gospel of John IS a meditation on the life, teaching, passion death and resurrection of Jesus, and is the clearest on His divinity, while also having the advantage of John having become familiar with the other Gospels before writing his. John focused on both the living out of all of Christ's teachings, and touches on the institution of the sacraments, and has His great prayer to the father toward the end. The bread of life discourse etc. I think in the end, as hard as it would be, I would want the Gospel of John to read slowly line by line while praying on every passage, then going back and starting over again for the rest of my life. It was through Johannine and Lucan scripture that the Holy Spirit most strongly called me to conversion.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
...as i think on it, i gotta go with Proverbs (as previously mentioned). God's timeless wisdom is all in it, and yes, that phenomenal verse that led me straight to the book of Job, one of the most profound books in the Bible, and that pivots on this one profound verse.

This one:

"The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding." ~Proverbs 9:10

Reactions: stevenfrancis
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GandalfTheWise

In search of lost causes and hopeless battles
May 27, 2012
Wisconsin
✟71,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you only were allowed to pick one book in the Bible that you were allowed to read for the rest of your life, what would it be and why?

What's your answer?

If Luke/Acts were considered part 1 and 2 of the same "book", then Luke/Acts. Otherwise, John's gospel. For me, it's about the person of Jesus Christ. Luke/Acts presents the nicest surrounding detail about the incarnation. John presents the nicest detail of Jesus interacting with real people.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Aino

God's own
May 16, 2009
Finland
✟37,132.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What's your answer?

If Luke/Acts were considered part 1 and 2 of the same "book", then Luke/Acts. Otherwise, John's gospel. For me, it's about the person of Jesus Christ. Luke/Acts presents the nicest surrounding detail about the incarnation. John presents the nicest detail of Jesus interacting with real people.
Hmm, well it is a difficult question. I'm pondering between Psalms and Luke. Psalms after all reveal a lot about God and our relationship to him. It's a book full of mercy towards the human being and full of genuine prayers said to him. Really powerful, something to meditate on. On the other hand, Luke does express the gospel very thoroughly, like alk gospels of course but Luke is my favourite. So maybe I'd go with Luke. But on another day I could really pick the Psalms though. :p

Upvote 0

Apex

Radical Centrist & Ethicist
Jan 1, 2017
the South
✟47,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you only were allowed to pick one book in the Bible that you were allowed to read for the rest of your life, what would it be and why?

I've thought about this question before and the strongest answer will always be: one of the four Gospels. Why do you think they are listed first in the NT canon? The early church recognized that these books contain the context necessary to properly understand Acts through Revelation. Choosing a "supplementary" book or epistle over a "primary" one makes little practical sense.

So, which Gospel is the best? They are all sufficient, but Mark wouldn't make much sense since 90 percent of it can be found within Matthew. I would choose the Gospel of Matthew or Luke for the sake of having more information.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Proverbs, it's just such a rich book full of wise words that I can apply to everyday situations.

"The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding"- Proverbs 9:10 NIV
Great verse; Psalm 111 has similar sentiment.

Upvote 0