✟2,924,744.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hi anw001, I see you're new here, so WELCOME TO CF .. :wave:

As for your question, my only thought is that accepting "Christianity" is pretty dependent upon accepting the Object of our faith first, as both Savior and Lord. After that, acceptance of the faith itself is a cinch :)

Yours and His,
David

• Agree
Reactions: Galatea
Upvote 0

Silmarien

Existentialist
Feb 24, 2017
New York
✟215,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
When I was an atheist*, I didn't want to believe. Heaven and Hell were idiotic and coercive, the concept of sin was a guilt trip, atonement by blood sacrifice was literally paganism, the whole thing was about controlling people (especially women), and in the unlikely event that it was true, I wanted nothing to do with such a narcissistic, tyrannical god anyway.

All that said, I've kind of converted anyway. ^_^ Most of my problems came from having too simplistic an understanding of the religion and focusing on the wrong things. I still have some significant theological issues, but those are minor problems compared to hating absolutely everything about the religion. It's impossible to believe if you don't want to believe, and it's certainly possible to reject it unconsciously while thinking you're open to it. Which is most certainly not to say that all disbelief is willful, but I definitely spent a good decade admiring Christianity while still being too intellectually proud to entertain the possibility that there might be something to it. I've probably still got some psychological barriers to authentic faith, but I'm trying to be cooperative about getting rid of them. Or I've gone completely delusional!

*I identified as an atheist because I thought organized religion was ridiculous. My problems were with the idea of divine revelation, anthropomorphic concepts of God, and the snarled nest of tortured logic that is a lot of theology. I was always at the very least an agnostic pantheist, so sincere atheists are going to have additional problems.

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Some good thoughts shown here. I have not struggled with Christianity, for over 60 years ago I accepted it and the Bible as a fact, and came to know God's "....so great salvation" in His beloved Son ---the Lord Jesus, the Christ of God (see John 14). One can know Him and the mind and ways of God by receiving Him into one's heart with devotion. The Lord Jesus is a blessed friend and always with a believer (note Matthew 28:20).

Upvote 0