Most beautiful month in the year(Ramadan).....

TheDirector

Jul 22, 2013
✟247.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
On the contrary: I know of literally millions of people who have no trouble whatever accepting both of then as true, valid, and God-sent!

(And BTW, Art is correct in what he says.

Peace, :)

Bruce

As an afterthought:
There are also "many" (definition needed) who claim that the Earth is flat and hollow, that Bilderberg and the Jews (all of them, apparently) were behind 9/11, etc. I don't take those positions seriously either, because they're contradictory and nonsensical.

Upvote 0

BruceDLimber

Baha'i
Nov 14, 2005
Rockville, Maryland, USA
✟10,839.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Bruce said:
And BTW, Art is correct in what he says.

No, he isn't.

So sorry, but you're spouting nonsense yet again!

If he says he attended such a meeting, you are in NO POSITION to say that he didn't (assuming you don't have a clear record of his schedule and travels)--which is the only thing your denial can refer to in this case.

Bruce

Upvote 0

TheDirector

Jul 22, 2013
✟247.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
So sorry, but you're spouting nonsense yet again!

If he says he attended such a meeting, you are in NO POSITION to say that he didn't (assuming you don't have a clear record of his schedule and travels)--which is the only thing your denial can refer to in this case.

Bruce

Yeah, most sapient individuals would be able to gather that it was not his attendence of the meetings in question, but his point that I said he wasn't right about.

Upvote 0

bonaventure

Religious Dialogue
Jul 27, 2013
✟7,696.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
it is amazing, i am interested in other faiths and the quran is a really interesting book with many wonderful teachings and words from God. Everybody can stay in his faith, but should respect the other ones and search what is the core of other faiths. it gives you a wider view on your own religion. was just amazing for me :)

Upvote 0

alex28

Jun 1, 2013
✟227.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Single
Similarities / Similar Teachings in the Qur’an and the Bible which Muslims follow but Christians don't

I) ISLAM

1. Definition

A. Meaning of Islam
(i) Islam is derived from the word salaam meaning peace.
(ii) Submission to the Will of Allah (swt) i.e. God Almighty.

B. Meaning of ‘Muslim’ – One who submits his will to Allah.
C. Islam is not a new religion found by Prophet Muhammad (pbuh).

2. Messengers in Islam

A. (i) To every nation was sent a Guide or a Messenger
Al-Qur'an 35:24
Al-Qur'an 13:7

(ii) 25 Prophets mentioned by name in the Qur'an
(iii) Islam is the only non-Christian faith that believes in Jesus (pbuh)
(iv) Stories only of some prophets mentioned in Qur'an
Al-Qur'an 4:164
Al-Qur'an 40:78

(v) More than 1,24,000 Messengers according to Hadith

B. (i) Previous Messengers were only sent for their people and nation and their complete message was meant only for a particular time period.
(ii) Moses (pbuh) was only sent for the Jews.
(iii) Jesus (pbuh) sent only for the Jews i.e. lost sheep of Israel.
Al-Qur'an 3:49
Mathew 10:5-6
Mathew 15:24
(iv) Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) is the Last and Final Messenger for the
Whole of Mankind.
Al-Qur'an 33:40
Al-Qur'an 21:107
Al-Qur'an 34:28
Sahih Bukhari Vol.1 Book of Salaah Chapter 56 Hadith No. 429
(v) Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) prophesised in the Bible.
Al-Qur'an 7:157
Al-Qur'an 61:6
Deuteronomy 18:18
Isaiah 29:12
Song of Solomon 5:16
John 16:7
John 16:12-14

3. Revelations of God

A. Several Revelations sent by Allah – Al-Qur'an 13:38.
By name only four are mentioned in the Qur’an.

B. (i) The Qur’an is the Last and Final Revelation.
(ii) All previous Revelations before Qur'an were only sent for a particular group of people and for a particular time period
(iii) The Qur’an was Revealed for the Whole of Mankind
Al-Qur'an 14:1
Al-Qur'an 14:52
Al-Qur'an 2:185
Al-Qur'an 39:41

II) PILLARS OF ISLAM:

1. Tauheed: Monotheism

A. La ilaha ilallahu, Muhammad-ur-Rasoolullah
Sahih Bukhari Vol. 1 Hadith No. 7

B. Believe in Allah and the Last Day, and the Angels and the Book and the Messengers.
Al-Qur'an 2:177

C. Come to common terms — Worship of one God
Al-Qur'an 3:64

D. Concept of God
Al-Qur'an 112:1-4
Deuteronomy 6:4
Mark 12:29

E. Shirk – Biggest Sin
Al-Qur'an 4:48
Al-Qur'an 4:116
Exodus 20:2-5
Deuteronomy 5:7-9

F. Jesus (pbuh) not God. He never claimed Divinity
Al-Qur'an 5:72
John 14:28
John 10:29
Mathew 12:28
Luke 11:20
John 5:30
Acts 2:21

G. 99 Attributes of Almighty God
Al-Qur'an 17:110

H. Prefer using name ‘Allah’ rather than the word ‘God’ as the word ‘God’ can be played around with. Allah in the Bible – Eli, Eli, Lama Sabachthani
Mark 15:34
Mathew 27:46

2. Salaah

A. Not merely Prayers but Programming
Al-Qur'an 5:90
Al-Qur'an 2:188

B. Prayers restrain you from shameful and unjust deeds

Al-Qur'an 29:45

C. Salaah timings – for healthy soul five times a day
Al-Qur'an 17:78
Al-Qur'an 20:130

D. Take off shoes before entering mosque.
(i) Commandment of Allah to Moses
Al-Qur'an 20:11-12
Exodus 3:5
Acts 7:33

(ii) Can Pray with Shoes.
Sunan Abu Dawood – Vol. 1, Book of Salaah, Chapter 240,
Hadith No. 652-653.

(iii) Hygienic
E. Ablution
(i) Al-Qur'an 5:6
Exodus 40:31-32
Acts 21:26

(ii) Hygienic
(iii) Mental Preparation

F. Stand shoulder to shoulder, while praying –
Sahih Bukhari – Vol. 1, Book of Adhan Chapter 75 Hadith no. 692
Abu Dawood – Vol. 1, Book of Salaah Chapter 245 Hadith No. 666.

G. Sujud – Prostration
(i) To humble your mind, humble your body
(ii) Sujud mentioned 92 times in the Qur’an
Al-Qur'an 3:43
Al-Qur'an 22:77

(iii) Prostration in the Bible
Genesis 17:3; Numbers 20:6
Joshua 5:14; Mathew 26:39

3. Zakaah

A. Meaning: Purification and Growth
B. Description: 2.5% of saving every lunar year in charity
Al-Qur'an 9:60

C. If every human being gives Zakaah, not a single person will die of hunger.
D. "Wealth does not circulate only amongst the wealthy and the rich"
Al-Qur'an 59:7

E. I Peter 4:8

4. Saum - Fasting

A. Description – one lunar month i.e. during the month of Ramadaan every lunar year, Muslims fast, i.e. abstain from food and drinks from sunrise till sunset.
B. Benefits: learn self restraint. If you can control your hunger you can control almost all your desires. It enhances spiritual awareness.
Al-Qur'an 2:183

C. Medical Benefits:
(a) Increases absorption capacity of intestines
(b) Lowers cholestrol.

D. Discourages smoking, alcoholism and other addictions.
E. Bible prescribes Fasting
Mathew 17:21
Mark 9:29

5. Hajj

A. Description – Pilgrimage atleast once in life time if you can afford it
B. Universal Brotherhood – 2.5 million people from all over the world gather, wear two pieces of unsewn cloth, preferably white. Cannot differentiate between rich and poor.
Al-Qur'an 49:13

C. Significance of Kaaba – Muslims don’t worship it
Psalms 84:4-7

III ) ISLAM IS A COMPLETE WAY OF LIFE

These five pillars do not constitute complete Islam. Only if the pillars are strong, will the structure be strong.
1. Humans Created to Worship Allah

A. Jinn and Man created for worship of Allah
Al-Qur'an 51:56

B. Meaning of Ibadaah – root word Abd meaning ‘slave’.

2. Obeying Commandments of Allah is Submitting your will to Allah

A. Abstaining from alcohol

Al-Qur'an 5:90
Proverbs 20:1
Ephesians 5:18

B. Abstaining from prohibited food
Al-Qur'an 5:5
Al-Qur'an 2:173, 5:3, 6:145, 16:115

(i) Dead meat
Leviticus 17:15
Deuteronomy 14:21

(ii) Blood
Genesis 9:4, Leviticus 17:14, Deuteronomy 12:16,
I Samuel 14:33, Acts 15:29

(iii) Pork is prohibited
Leviticus 11:7-8
Deuteronomy 14:8
Isaiah 65:2-5

(vi) Food on which names beside Allah have been invoked
Acts 15:29; Revelation 2:14

C. (i) Being Honest in your Business
(ii) Helping Neighbours
Al-Qur'an 107:1-7
(iii) Abstaining from Backbiting
Al-Qur'an 104:1-3
Al-Qur'an 49:11-12

(iv) Obeying and Respecting Parents
Al-Qur'an 17:23, 24

(v) Celibacy or Monasticism is prohibited in Islam
Sahih Bukhari: Vol. 7 Book of Nikah, Chapter No. 3, Hadith No. 4

(vi) Loving, being Kind and Just to your Wife
Al-Qur'an 4:19

(vii) Abstaining from Adultery
Al-Qur'an 17:32

D. Dressing Modestly
(i) Al-Qur'an 24:30
Mathew 5:27-28

(ii) Al-Qur'an 24:31
(iii) Six Criteria for Hijab in Islam
Deuteronomy 22:5
I Timothy 2:9 e.g. of Mary
I Corinthians 11:5-6

E. Circumcision
Acts 7:8
John 7:22
Luke 2:21

F. In short, every Muslim should follow all the Commandments of Allah (swt) and His Messenger Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) and abstain from the things they have prohibited.
CONCLUSION

(a) If Christian is a person who follows the teachings of Christ (pbuh) and not one who worships Christ (pbuh). (We are more Christian than the Christians themselves).
(b) Muslim is a person who submits his will to Allah.
Jesus (pbuh) said, "not my will but thy will be done." i.e. Muslim.
John 5:30
(c) Al-Qur'an 5:82

Christian accepts Islam after challenging Zakir Naik at an Islamic Conference! youtube

-----

Wassam Azaqeer, a Lebanese, who lives in a country surrounded by icebergs called “Greenland”, is the only Muslim in this state who is fasting daily for 21 hours with full determination.
Greenland is the largest island in the world; lies between the North Atlantic and the Arctic Ocean; a self-governing province of Denmark.
According to an Arab TV report, Wassam Azaqeer, who is living in Greenland from the past several years and has been called “Arab Columbus” as he is the only Arab Muslim who not only managed to live in Greenland-despite the long and difficult journey, but also running a successful business in the capital city of Greenland called Nuuk.
Wassam, is running his own restaurant where he receives 200 customers each day.
The month of the Ramadan, this year, came in summer so Wassam has to fast for 21 hours and after Iftaar he only got 2 hours to prepare Suhur - the pre-dawn meal to start next fast.
In these 2 hours Wassam, also has to offer the Maghrib and Isha prayers.
Wassam says that he is very proud Muslim to be living on a state where he is the only one fasting and praying in the name of Allah.
He says he sometimes think about going to Lebanon in this holy month but he stops himself by thinking that if left Greenland, there wont be anyone to fast and pray on this land

Upvote 0

Supreme

British
Jul 30, 2009
London
✟22,685.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
it is amazing, i am interested in other faiths and the quran is a really interesting book with many wonderful teachings and words from God. Everybody can stay in his faith, but should respect the other ones and search what is the core of other faiths. it gives you a wider view on your own religion. was just amazing for me :)

I don't think anyone can disagree. Learning about other faiths is a fascinating experience, and certainly opens your eyes. I love learning about my faith and the faiths of others.

Upvote 0

alex28

Jun 1, 2013
✟227.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Single
Things invalidate the fast

A person who has sex with his wife during the day of Ramadhaan, his fast becomes null and void. On the other hand, he is required to expiate his sin either by freeing a slave, failing that he should observe fast for two consecutive months, failing that he must feed sixty poor people. Moreover, he has to follow the mentioned order of expiation in case of failing short of doing any of the three ways. This is the opinion of the majority of Muslim scholars.

This opinion is based on a narration reported by Al-Bukhaari and Muslim may Allaah have mercy upon them from Abu Hurayrah may Allaah be pleased with him: "A person came to the Apostle of Allaah ( sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam ( may Allaah exalt his mention )) and said: 'O Messenger of Allaah! I am doomed'. The Prophet, sallallaahu Alayhi wa sallam, said: 'What has brought about your ruin?' The person said: 'I had a sexual enter course with my wife during the month of Ramadhaan (i.e. during the day)'. Upon this the Prophet sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam ( may Allaah exalt his mention ) said: "Can you find a slave to set him free? He said: 'No'. The Prophet sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam ( may Allaah exalt his mention ) said: "Can you observe fast for 2 consecutive months? He said: 'No'. The Prophet sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam ( may Allaah exalt his mention ) said: "Can you provide food for sixty poor people?" He said: 'No'. Abu Hurayrah may Allaah be pleased with him said: 'While we were sitting with the Prophet sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam ( may Allaah exalt his mention ) a large basket full of dates was produced to the Prophet sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam ( may Allaah exalt his mention ). So, the Prophet sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam ( may Allaah exalt his mention ) said: "Where is the inquirer?" He said: 'Me'. The Prophet sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam ( may Allaah exalt his mention ) said: "Take this and give it as charity".

This also means that if such a person is not able to pay the expiation, it is permissible for someone to pay on his behalf as long as the first accepts, and this will be sufficient. But, if such a person does not expiate by all means, it is still his duty until he can do so. Then, when he can pay the expiation, he should feed the sixty poor people. Also, one can do such an expiation in his own homeland and this is better, since transferring the expiation to another country is permissible. This ruling of transferring the expiation is in contrast with paying Zakaah, which should be paid in the country where a giver lives unless there is some benefit, such as poor relatives in dire need, or no need exists for it where the giver lives.

|HD| BBC : The Life of Prophet Mohammed (pbuh) - Greatest Man Ever Walk on The Earth

youtube

Upvote 0

football5680

Feb 6, 2013
Georgia
✟90,322.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Well, as a Christian I do not feel an increasing number of terrorist attacks during this month as being beautiful but I don't know what Muslims think so terrorism might be beautiful to them. This would make a lot of sense though.

Reactions: Crypto
Upvote 0

Arthra

Baha'i
Feb 20, 2004
California
Visit site
✟71,812.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married

Good post there bonaventure!

The attitude and willingness to be open is an essential quality!

:thumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

alex28

Jun 1, 2013
✟227.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Single
bonaventure,thank you

82. Verily, you will find the strongest among men in enmity to the believers (Muslims) the Jews and those who are Al-Mushrikun (see V.2:105), and you will find the nearest in love to the believers (Muslims) those who say: "We are Christians." That is because amongst them are priests and monks, and they are not proud.

83. And when they (who call themselves Christians) listen to what has been sent down to the Messenger (Muhammad ), you see their eyes overflowing with tears because of the truth they have recognised. They say: "Our Lord! We believe; so write us down among the witnesses.

---

162. Say (O Muhammad): "Verily, my Salat (prayer), my sacrifice, my living, and my dying are for Allah, the Lord of the 'Alamin (mankind, jinns and all that exists).___

It was the practice of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) to strive during the last 10 days of Ramadaan like no other time, to spend the night in prayer, supplication and recitation of the Qur'an. He also used to wake his family up to do the same.
Abu Hurayrah said that the Prophet (PBUH) said: "Whoever stays up and prays on Laylat al-Qadr out of faith and in the hope of reward, his previous sins will be forgiven."
(Hadith - Bukhari & Muslim)
Thus, the Muslim should make good use of the last 10 nights of Ramadaan and spend them in prayer and remembering Allah. We do not know for certain which night Laylat al-Qadr is, but the odd-numbered nights in the last 10 days are the most likely according to the hadith:

"Seek it in the odd nights of the last third of Ramadan."

(Hadith - Bukhari)

The night of the 27th of Ramadaan (ie the night before the fast of the day of the 27th of Ramadaan) has been narrated as being Laylat al-Qadr.

100% Proof Quran is The Word Of God - Talk By Dr Zakir Naik youtube​
100% proof the Qur'an is The Word of God youtube​

Upvote 0

Crypto

Apr 4, 2013
✟1,032.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single

What the hell?! The Quran is most hateful book ever written. Just don't say this close to a Muslim because he'll try to behead you.

Upvote 0

Crypto

Apr 4, 2013
✟1,032.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I'd be careful there, you wouldn't want to be like the people in this story:

22 And the teachers of the law who came down from Jerusalem said, “He is possessed by Beelzebul! By the prince of demons he is driving out demons.”

23 So Jesus called them over to him and began to speak to them in parables: “How can Satan drive out Satan? 24 If a kingdom is divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand. 25 If a house is divided against itself, that house cannot stand. 26 And if Satan opposes himself and is divided, he cannot stand; his end has come. 27 In fact, no one can enter a strong man’s house without first tying him up. Then he can plunder the strong man’s house. 28 Truly I tell you, people can be forgiven all their sins and every slander they utter, 29 but whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will never be forgiven; they are guilty of an eternal sin.”
30 He said this because they were saying, “He has an impure spirit.” (Mark 3)

Muhammad did not believe in the Holy Spirit. So, how can it be a sin against the Holy Spirit to say that Muhammad was demon-possessed?

Upvote 0

alex28

Jun 1, 2013
✟227.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Single
9. Verily, this Qur'an guides to that which is most just and right and gives glad tidings to the believers (in the Oneness of Allah and His Messenger, Muhammad , etc.). who work deeds of righteousness, that they shall have a great reward (Paradise).
Surah Al-Isra'

These are the Verses of the Clear Book (the Qur'an that makes clear the legal and illegal things, legal laws, a guidance and a blessing).

2. Verily, We have sent it down as an Arabic Qur'an in order that you may understand.

3. We relate unto you (Muhammad ) the best of stories through Our Revelations unto you, of this Qur'an. And before this (i.e. before the coming of Divine Inspiration to you), you were among those who knew nothing about it (the Qur'an).
Surah Yusuf

Sura Al-Baqarah

23. "And if you are in doubt of what We have sent down to Our (faithful) Servant (Muhammad), then bring forth one Sura the like thereof, and call your witnesses other than Allah, if you are truthful."
24. "And if you do not do so, and you will never do it, then fear the Fire whose fuel is People and Stones, prepared for the infidels."

Commentary :
After Allah (s.w.t.) explains the state of the hypocrite and disbelievers, and, through the creation of the heaven and the earth, sending down rain and growing plants on the ground, proves the existence of the Creator and Cherisher of the universe, He begins to validate the rightfulness of the Holy Qur'an and the truthfulness of His Messenger.

In order to show everyone the miraculousness of the Qur'an with clear evidence,according to one's portion of wit and understanding, that the Qur'an will be an argument for all, Allah confirms the prophethood of Prophet Muhammad (p.b.u.h.) and the authenticity of the Holy Qur'an by suggesting a challenge, a direct confrontation, not only to all the contemporaries of the Prophet (p.b.u.h.) but also to men in all ages. " And if you are in doubt of what We have sent down to Our (faithful) Servant (Muhammad),..."

It addresses all the rejectors, with a concrete test, saying that if you imagine that the Qur'an, which has been sent down from Pure Holiness to the chosen servant of Allah in the form of statements and with the combination of ordinary alphabetical letters, is not from Him and it is the word of a human, then since outwardly you are in the same state from the point of being a human as the Prophet of Islam (p.b.u.h.) is, you should be able to produce a Sura like that of the Qur'an and call your own witnesses that are like you, the disbelievers of the Qur'an.

You would compare your evidence with one of the Suras of the Qur'an, even if it be a small one such as Sura Kauthar and the like. If those two were similar in comparison in all their qualities, merits and privileges, you could rightfully reject the legitimacy of the Qur'an.

The disbelievers and pagan Arabs, who were the masters of literature and eloquence, refrained from accepting this challenge despite their pride and haughtiness in eloquence and avoided the competition. Therefore, inevitably, they turned the literary contest into a bloody battle.

Thus, getting killed was easier for them than being disgraced and defeated in a literary contest. The Arab literature became helpless and meagre against the challenge of the Qur'an. Neither those who lived at the time of the Qur'an's revelation, nor the people born in the centuries after that could bring anything like this Holy Book, or could do anything against it, inspite of trying with their utmost strength. They were thus forced to retreat after exerting utmost efforts.

-----
Bible predicts the coming of the Prophet Muhammad
quote:
I will raise up a prophet like you from among Their brothers. And I will put my words in his mouth, And he shall speak to them all that I command him. Deuteronomy 18:18
The Prophet what this verse is about is of course Moses. Who are the brethren of Moses? Let us follow the bloodline, then we come to visit Abraham, who had two sons, Isaac and Ishmael. The tribes of Israel are largely Isaac and the brother of Isaac was so Ismael, of Arab origin, an origin from which we can recognize the prophet.

And who is the prophet who most resembled Moses? Mohammed course.

And we also know that Muhammad could not read and write and that Gabriel's words in the mouth of God would explain that Muhammad was obliged to share with his followers.

quote:
Or if you give the scroll to someone who can not read, and say, "Read this, please," they will answer, "I do not know how to read." Isaiah 29:12
Again, clearly the Prophet Muhammad, to whom Gabriel said he could not read.

محمد رسول (الله) صلى الله عليه وسلم - الشيخ (خالد ياسين) youtube

12. Muhammad in the bible (part 1)محمد صل الله عليه وسلم في الكتاب المقدس youtube

13. Muhammad in the bible (part 2)محمد صل الله عليه وسلم في الكتاب المقدس youtube

احمد ديدات - ماذا يقول يسوع عن محمد؟ youtube

-----

Even for menstruating women, they can recite this du'aa 'and others, read Qur'an from memory (without touching the book itself) and like everyone they can seek forgiveness (by saying "Astaghfir-Allah" - I ask Allah for forgiveness ), make dhikr (remembrance of Allah) by repeating phrases such as:

- Subhaan-Allah (Glory be to Allah)
- La ilaaha illa-Allah (There is no god but Allah)
- Al-Hamdu Lillah (Praise be to Allah)
- Allahu akbar (Allah is Most Great)
- Subhaan-Allah wa'l-hamdu Lillah, wa laa ilaaha ill-Allah, wa Allahu akbar (Glory be to Allah, praise be to Allah, there is no god but Allah and Allah is Most Great) "
- Subhaan Allah wa bi hamdihi, subhaan Allah il-'Azeem (Glory and praise be to Allah, glory be to Allah the Almighty)

In this way, no one will be deprived of the blessing of Laylat al-Qadr.

Upvote 0

VikingGirlTBird

VikingGirlTBird!
Oct 13, 2012
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA.
✟8,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
peace be upon you
Each year, Islamic and Arab nation well

And Muslims all over the world to the health and happiness
allah says in the Holy Qur'an

185. The month of Ramadan in which was revealed the Qur'an, a guidance for mankind and clear proofs for the guidance and the criterion (between right and wrong). So whoever of you sights (the crescent on the first night of) the month (of Ramadan ie is present at his home), he must observe Saum (fasts) that month, and whoever is ill or on a journey, the same number [ of days which one did not observe Saum (fasts) must be made up] from other days. Allah intends for you ease, and He does not want to make things difficult for you. (He wants that you) must complete the same number (of days), and that you must magnify Allah [ie to say Takbir (Allahu-Akbar; Allah is the Most Great) on seeing the crescent of the months of Ramadan and Shawwal] for having guided you so that you may be grateful to Him.

Muslims spend the ninth month of the Islamic calendar observing a community-wide fast. The annual fast of Ramadan is considered one of the five "pillars" of Islam. Muslims who are physically able are required to fast each day of the entire month, from sunrise to sunset. The evenings are spent enjoying family and community meals, engaging in prayer and spiritual reflection, and reading from the Qu'ran.

Aside from the five-times-daily prayer, fasting during the month of Ramadan is the most visible and recognizable of Muslim acts the world over. During the 30-odd days of Ramadan, Muslims are required to fast during daylight hours, drinks included, and abstain from bodily pleasures like sex or other forms of sensual abandon. The focus is on humility, spiritual oneness with God and social oneness with the umma, or Islamic community, across the globe.

Fasting in Islam has its origins in Judaism, Christianity and the pre-Islamic Arab world. Although Ramadan is when Muslims fast most, they may fast voluntarily the rest of the year, or fast three days a month, or six days during the month of Sawwal, which follows the month of Ramadan, or fast on Mondays and Thursdays. Each of these proscriptions is recognized in Islam.

prophet Muhammad peace be upon him once said, "If one does not abandon falsehood in words and deeds, Allah has no need for his abandoning of food and drink." It is therefore imperative that the fasting person not only refrains from food and drink, but also from foul speech, lying, arguing, and the like.

Muslims are called upon to use this month to re-evaluate their lives in light of Islamic guidance. We are to make peace with those who have wronged us, strengthen ties with family and friends, do away with bad habits - essentially to clean up our lives, our thoughts, and our feelings. The Arabic word for "fasting" (sawm) literally means "to refrain" - and it means not only refraining from food and drink, but from evil actions, thoughts, and words.

During Ramadan, every part of the body must be restrained. The tongue must be restrained from backbiting and gossip. The eyes must restrain themselves from looking at unlawful things. The hand must not touch or take anything that does not belong to it. The ears must refrain from listening to idle talk or obscene words. The feet must refrain from going to sinful places. In such a way, every part of the body observes the fast.

During the fast, Muslims experience hunger and thirst and learn to sympathize with those in the world who have little to eat. They come to appreciate the blessings that Allah grants them. Through increased charity during the month, Muslims develop feelings of generosity and goodwill toward others. And since all Muslims in the world are undergoing the same experience at the same time, this practice strengthens community bonds throughout the Muslim world.

The Qur'an commands as follows: "Ramadan is the month in which the Qur'an was sent down, as a guide to mankind, and clear signs for guidance and judgment between right and wrong. So every one of you who is present at his home during that month should spend it in fasting. But if anyone is ill, or on a journey, the prescribed period should be made up by days later "(Qur'an 2:185). Therefore, every Muslim is required to fast, with the following exceptions:

Travelers

Those who are suffering from a temporary illness

The elderly or chronically ill

Women in menses or postchildbirth bleeding

Pregnant or nursing women

Children who have not yet reached adolescence

If possible, missed days are to be made up at a later time. If the reason for exception is long-term, then the missed days may be compensated for by giving in charity enough to feed one poor person for each day of fasting.

Children are not required to fast until they reach puberty. However, many children like to join in the activities of the family and try to fast for a day or part of a day. Sometimes they will fast on the weekends, for example, or will fast from noon until sunset. This is encouraged as practice for the day when fasting will be incumbent upon them.

On a day of fasting, Muslims rise before dawn for an early meal called suhoor. This light meal is intended to nourish the body through the rigorous daylong fast. The fast begins with the predawn call to prayer. Muslims continue through their daily lives of work, school, or other commitments, conscious of the limitations of fasting, and striving to be on their best behavior. Muslims continue to observe the daily prayers as usual and often spend part of the day reading chapters of the Qur'an.

As sunset approaches, Muslims often gather together as family or community to break the fast and enjoy a meal together at the end of the day. Muslims break their fast just as the call to prayer for the sunset prayer is heard. Following the tradition of the Prophet Muhammad, Muslims often break their fast by eating dates and drinking some milk. After the sunset prayers, they sit down together for an evening meal called fitoor (technically, "breakfast").

In the evening, Muslims gather at the mosque for special prayers called taraweeh. These extra prayers are offered each night of Ramadan. Every evening, a section of the Qur'an will be read in a long prayer, so that by the end of the month the entire Qur'an will have been heard. Muslims also spend time visiting with friends and relatives before retiring for the night to rest before starting the fast again the next day.

Assalamu Alaikum Everybody! Happy Ramadan Everybody (Especially to all of our Muslim brothers and sisters in the Abrahamic religions and in humanity as a whole!)! Thanks so much for sharing this extremely interesting, informative, and fun information about the Islamic holy month of Ramadan amorly! God bless! Ameen (Amen!)! Salam! Peace! :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums