Most Accurate Bible Translation Confusion....

BCubed

Nov 27, 2016
United States
✟11,425.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I've been comparing various Bible Translations (once again) because a pastor I've been watching on the web (since we are asked to stay in our homes) has been using the ESV translation. I have daily Bible readings in which I use an app and I try and look a variety of translations (for comparison and understanding) since I can simply tap a button and pull up another translation in no time at all. I usually go back and forth between the HCSB and the NLT (sometimes I also look at the NKJV and NASB, but not quite as much as the first two).

Today part of my reading was from Isaiah 54: 10...so I examined this verse in a number of different translations. If you don't get too nit-picky (which I do sometimes) each translation seems to mean something similar. But in closer examination the words each translation uses bring different visions of what it's describing - at least to me!

HCSB:10 Though the mountains move and the hills shake, My love will not be removed from you and My covenant of peace will not be shaken,” says your compassionate Lord.
NLT: 10 For the mountains may move and the hills disappear, but even then my faithful love for you will remain. My covenant of blessing will never be broken,” says the Lord, who has mercy on you.
ESV: 10 For the mountains may depart and the hills be removed, but my steadfast love shall not depart from you, and my covenant of peace shall not be removed,” says the Lord, who has compassion on you.
NASB: 10 “For the mountains may be removed and the hills may shake, But My lovingkindness will not be removed from you, And My covenant of peace will not be shaken,” Says the Lord who has compassion on you.
KJV: 10 For the mountains shall depart, and the hills be removed; but my kindness shall not depart from thee, neither shall the covenant of my peace be removed, saith the Lord that hath mercy on thee.
NRSV: 10 For the mountains may depart and the hills be removed, but my steadfast love shall not depart from you, and my covenant of peace shall not be removed, says the Lord, who has compassion on you.

So I wonder...are the mountains departing, being removed, or just moving?
I also wonder...are the hills being removed, shaking, or just all of a sudden disappearing?
And then kindness, steadfast love, faithful love, and just love all seem like different degrees of love!
Are "peace" and "blessing" two different things?

To me it seems like there can be so many different interpretations within this one single verse!!!

My apologies..sometimes I get into these modes when I want to take verses in the scripture and break them apart, and I always end up with the same question - how do we decide and know which English translation is most accurate?

I appreciate you giving me the opportunity to put my crazy thoughts up here and for any opinions/advice you can offer as to which English translation of the Bible is the most accurate!?!

BCubed

Reactions: danbuter

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've been comparing various Bible Translations (once again) because a pastor I've been watching on the web (since we are asked to stay in our homes) has been using the ESV translation. I have daily Bible readings in which I use an app and I try and look a variety of translations (for comparison and understanding) since I can simply tap a button and pull up another translation in no time at all. I usually go back and forth between the HCSB and the NLT (sometimes I also look at the NKJV and NASB, but not quite as much as the first two).

Today part of my reading was from Isaiah 54: 10...so I examined this verse in a number of different translations. If you don't get too nit-picky (which I do sometimes) each translation seems to mean something similar. But in closer examination the words each translation uses bring different visions of what it's describing - at least to me!

HCSB:10 Though the mountains move and the hills shake, My love will not be removed from you and My covenant of peace will not be shaken,” says your compassionate Lord.
NLT: 10 For the mountains may move and the hills disappear, but even then my faithful love for you will remain. My covenant of blessing will never be broken,” says the Lord, who has mercy on you.
ESV: 10 For the mountains may depart and the hills be removed, but my steadfast love shall not depart from you, and my covenant of peace shall not be removed,” says the Lord, who has compassion on you.
NASB: 10 “For the mountains may be removed and the hills may shake, But My lovingkindness will not be removed from you, And My covenant of peace will not be shaken,” Says the Lord who has compassion on you.
KJV: 10 For the mountains shall depart, and the hills be removed; but my kindness shall not depart from thee, neither shall the covenant of my peace be removed, saith the Lord that hath mercy on thee.
NRSV: 10 For the mountains may depart and the hills be removed, but my steadfast love shall not depart from you, and my covenant of peace shall not be removed, says the Lord, who has compassion on you.

I also wonder...are the hills being removed, shaking, or just all of a sudden disappearing?
And then kindness, steadfast love, faithful love, and just love all seem like different degrees of love!

To me it seems like there can be so many different interpretations within this one single verse!!!

My apologies..sometimes I get into these modes when I want to take verses in the scripture and break them apart, and I always end up with the same question - how do we decide and know which English translation is most accurate?

I appreciate you giving me the opportunity to put my crazy thoughts up here and for any opinions/advice you can offer as to which English translation of the Bible is the most accurate!?!

BCubed
For me, I go with the translation that sticks the closest to the overall theme of scripture. Knowing translators come from all walks. And original language words have wide areas of learning. The bible is like a car with a loose steering wheel. Being Calvinistic Baptist, I tend to let that bias make the call.

Reactions: BCubed
Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,099,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I like to go with the literal versions. The CLV is a literal version; and you can download it free at https://www.scripture4all.org

This interlinear version comes with a lot of useful tools for examining each word of the manuscripts.

Reactions: BCubed
Upvote 0

solid_core

Oct 13, 2019
Vienna
✟50,919.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Bible is a library of dozens of books that were written between 900 BC and 100 AD.

These books are not perfectly preserved, there are many significant differences between words, sentences or even whole books.

These books were written in culture an area very different to us and foreign to us.

These books were written in languages that work quite differently from English and many texts are unclear, prophetical and very ambiguous so they can be translated and understood in various possible ways.

---

So, do you really think there is some thing like "the most accurate Bible"?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

BCubed

Reasons why I believe the KJV is the divinely inspired perfect Word of God.

Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,679.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Just my take. For your own daily reader you should keep at hand the version that speaks most fluidly to you but holds authority in how it reads too. Then from there you can do as you are doing and compare. But if a version just doesn't feel right or is not fluid in reading it then you will read it less. If it speaks without authority it's pretty much useless to you.

For me personally my best all rounder is the NKJV. I like the ESV and is probably as authoritative but for me it's not as smooth as the NKJV. I like the NIV for smoothness but don't sense the authority I get from the NKJV. Soit seems the NKJV is my translation. Just for instances. And too, you should go to original words now and then from a concordance like Strongs if certain passages bug you.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

BCubed

When in doubt use a lexicon and get the greek and/or hebrew meanings ... often give great insight .... often.

www.biblehub.com

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married

It is always a mistake to interpret poetic and figurative language in a literal way.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟839,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think it helps when coming across an ambiguous word to look at several English translations and try to get an overall sense of what is being conveyed. In this case, I think two important aspects are that the mountains and hills are passive in the movement, i.e. they are being moved. And also, that they are finite and contingent. This is in stark contrast to God's love and covenant which are immovable, unending. It is poetry, and so one wants the sense and not so much the literal translation. Nonetheless, there are so many good resources online that even if one is not familiar with the original language, the "wooden" meaning of the word, sans context, is always ascertainable.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BCubed

Nov 27, 2016
United States
✟11,425.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

So I took this (see above) and attempted to do this (see below)...

For your own daily reader you should keep at hand the version that speaks most fluidly to you but holds authority in how it reads too. Then from there you can do as you are doing and compare. But if a version just doesn't feel right or is not fluid in reading it then you will read it less. If it speaks without authority it's pretty much useless to you.

Side by side I compared the following translations: NIV, NLT, ESV, BSB (Berean Study Bible...I personally had never heard of this translation), BLB, NASB, NKJV, KJB, CSB, HCSB, CEV, GNT, ISV, NET, NHEB, APE, GWT, ASV, D-RB, DBT, ERV, WBT, WNT, WEB, YLT. I looked closely at about 16 verses or passages, using half from the OT and half from the NT; while using passages I'm familiar with and also passages I'm not so familiar with. And yes, it took a while!

After all my comparing was finished, as far as smoothness of reading and my understanding/comprehension, my favorite translations (in no particular order) were the BSB, NASB, NKJV, and HCSB (which is the original translation for the CSB).

Now as far as which of those are the "most accurate," I have no clue. I just know they had an incredible flow about them as I was reading them and I felt like I knew the meaning of the text.

Are all of those pretty "accurate" translations of the Bible or are there one or two that stand out above the others in that regard?

Again, I appreciate all the help and advice!!!

BCubed

Last edited:
Reactions: pescador
Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,679.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
The NKJV and NASB are probably equally accurate but I find the NKJV most comfortable of the two for me personally. The Berean seems good, like all translation there are some spots that might be questioned by someone out there in the world but I've enjoyed it it when I've used it. The Holman I can't say I've ever used.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So I took this (see above) and attempted to do this (see below)...

Side by side I compared the following translations: NIV, NLT, ESV, BSB (Berean Study Bible...I personally had never heard of this translation), BLB, NASB, NKJV, KJB, CSB, HCSB, CEV, GNT, ISV, NET, NHEB, APE, GWT, ASV, D-RB, DBT, ERV, WBT, WNT, WEB, YLT. I looked closely at about 16 verses or passages, using half from the OT and half from the NT; while using passages I'm familiar with and also passages I'm not so familiar with. And yes, it took a while!

After all my comparing was finished, as far as smoothness of reading and my understanding/comprehension, my favorite translations (in no particular order) were the BSB, NASB, NKJV, and HCSB (which is the original translation for the CSB).

Now as far as which of those are the "most accurate," I have no clue. I just know they had an incredible flow about them as I was reading them and I felt like I knew the meaning of the text.

Are all of those pretty "accurate" translations of the Bible or are there one or two that stand out above the others in that regard?

Again, I appreciate all the help and advice!!!

BCubed

Did you go into the greek and/or hebrew using the lexicon ...

The point I was trying to make ... is when wanting to delve deeper into the meaning of texts (especially ones one is not clear on) ... regardless of the english translation one should go use the greek and hebrew lexicons ... often by doing that provides great clarity. The greek and hebrew languages have a lot more depth in meaning to them than english.

Upvote 0

BCubed

Nov 27, 2016
United States
✟11,425.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The NKJV and NASB are probably equally accurate but I find the NKJV most comfortable of the two for me personally.

Thank you! Of the two, I would agree...in most instances the NKJV reads more smoothly and offers as just as clear of understanding as the NASB. Also, in looking at the number of Bibles available (from a certain online Christian retailer), the NKJV is much more readily available (at least in the larger print that my eyes prefer) than the NASB. I appreciate you input!

I did in a large number of instances. It is incredible the information given in the lexicon...how it breaks down every single phrase in every single verse for clarity. I can see myself using that part (as well as many other parts of the app) of the app quite often. Thank you for the recommendation!!!

In reading more this afternoon from various translations, the HCSB and the NKJV are the two that really stand at the top of the list of my favorite translations. Both seem like an amazing blend of readability and understandability!

For readability I'd give the edge to the HCSB (although it's been discontinued and replace by the CSB that's had several changes made) and for poetic beauty of language the edge would have to go to the NKJV!

Again, I appreciate everyone taking the time to respond and give me your honest opinions!!!

BCubed

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
When in doubt use a lexicon and get the greek and/or hebrew meanings ... often give great insight .... often.

www.biblehub.com

While I basically agree with you, Bible translation is just not that easy. There are nuances of meaning that people who knew the source languages and lived when the "books" were written understood very differently than what we understand.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

The point I was trying to make ... is when wanting to delve deeper into the meaning of texts (especially ones one is not clear on) ... regardless of the english translation one should go use the greek and hebrew lexicons ... often by doing that provides great clarity. The greek and hebrew languages have a lot more depth in meaning to them than english.

I think that commentaries are better than lexicons. Scholars explain the texts in far greater detail than a word-for-word parallel.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
While I basically agree with you, Bible translation is just not that easy. There are nuances of meaning that people who knew the source languages and lived when the "books" were written understood very differently than what we understand.

without one actually learning greek and hewbrew the lexicons are very helpful ... their languages have much more depth than english

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think that commentaries are better than lexicons. Scholars explain the texts in far greater detail than a word-for-word parallel.

commentaries are someones opinions based on their theology line

• Agree
Reactions: Dave G.
Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
commentaries are someones opinions based on their theology line

True, but they're a lot better than laypeople translating on their own. Everyone, including laypeople, base their interpretations on their theology.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
The problem with lexicons is that words have a range of meanings. In passages where people disagree, it's almost never the case that a proposed translation disagrees with lexicons. (The KJV is a possible exception. Because its scholarship is several centuries out of date, there may be passages where a lexicon will show that it's wrong.) What you'll find in a technical commentary is the kinds of considerations that lead to the translation: non-Biblical works with similar wording, other Bible passages that are similar enough to provide support, an analysis of the context.

Unfortunately, in many cases what you'll find in a commentary is that there are several plausible readings, and a list of advantages and disadvantages for each.

• Agree
Upvote 0