• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Moscow not Third Rome?

Discussion in 'The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox' started by Orthodoxjay1, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Orthodoxjay1

Orthodoxjay1 Well-Known Member

+751
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    US-Others
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. RobNJ

RobNJ CF Olde Pharte

+2,977
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
  3. rusmeister

rusmeister A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian

+2,157
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Well, I agree with what the Metropolitan says in general. In our time, identifying Moscow as a “Rome” only underscores the decadent nature of the people as a whole, as Rome became hopelessly decadent.

4. gzt

gzt The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years

+1,546
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    If it's the third Rome, it's the fourth Babylon. The Old Believers were big into Third Rome stuff, which is maybe why we shouldn't really care, given how wrong they were about everything.

5. ArmyMatt

ArmyMatt Regular Member Supporter

+11,241
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    Moscow was called Third Rome in their charter signed by Constantinople, but it was just a title. nothing ever came with it.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. Platina

Platina Active Member

+195
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Third Rome is not a real ecclesiological principle being pushed by anyone in the MP.

7. gurneyhalleck1

gurneyhalleck1 Reader

+5,260
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
    It’s not about being a Rome. It’s about numbers. If you add up the amount of Orthodox Christians on the Earth, Russians account for around half of them.

8. RobNJ

RobNJ CF Olde Pharte

+2,977
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Rome left the church. Rome is no longer a standard to evoke. "Third Rome"? "Forty-fifth Rome? Who gives a rodents hindquarters!! Be wherever your ACTUAL location is, and be TRUE to Orthodoxy. The rest is immaterial.

9. gurneyhalleck1

gurneyhalleck1 Reader

+5,260
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
    People get pretty hung-up about what's going on with patriarchs, especially newbie Orthodox and Hyperdox. During the whole fiasco with the Ecumenical Patriarch and the Ukrainian "rebel" priests getting recognized by him, I was not "into" it much. Don't get me wrong, I condemn what the EP did completely, but I wasn't much interested in the drama of it all or the fall-out. All I know is I'm part of the Serbian branch of our wonderful tree, and our Patriarch Irenej is good to go. My bishop, Bishop Maxim, is good to go. My priest is good to go. Our local Eucharistic community is doing fine. Therefore I'm good to go. The large-scale stuff is more political soap opera nonsense. I DO think we should pray for the patriarchs and hierarchs and all clergy, but my point is that I'm well past getting too fascinated or underwear in a wad over the dumb actions of the EP these days. I don't dwell on Russians much because I have zero to do with them.

10. Stabat Mater

Stabat Mater Jesus Christ conquers! Supporter

+6,393
    United States
    Traditional. Cath.
    Single
    Nuevo Romanum... lol.

11. David Cabrera

David Cabrera Catechumen

+2,723
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    Nova Roma (Νέα Ῥώμη).

12. ☦Marius☦

☦Marius☦ Orthodox Hillbilly Supporter

+1,537
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    US-Others
    There can be no Rome until the restoration of the God anointed Tzars.

13. RobNJ

RobNJ CF Olde Pharte

+2,977
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    1) I have yet to see any point attributing any religious significance to "Rome" for Orthodoxy
    1) I see NO religious significance to Orthodoxy in any mere political entity. Much less any reason to believe that any mere political entity is "God anointed"

14. ArmyMatt

+11,241
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    technically that wouldn't matter. Rome had a see long before a Christian Emperor. Rome has always existed in Orthodoxy, even after the last Tsar abdicated (which was Tsar Symeon, not St Nikolai). we don't need an Emperor to be Rome.

15. buzuxi02

buzuxi02 Veteran

+1,707
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Technically the saying is, ' elder Rome fell away due to apostasy, new Rome to sin, and a third stands but there will not be a fourth.
    Usually this third came to an end with the Bolshevik revolution and now there is no longer a restraining force, the age of grace came to an end (a theme found amongst bishops and monks as to why so much eikonomia needs to be applied to today's laity)..

16. ArmyMatt

+11,241
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    the age of grace has not come to an end. if the "restraining force" was needed, the age of grace began with St Constantine, not Pentecost.