United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
baton-rouge-temple-lds-1072484-wallpaper.jpg

Yesterday, I drove past the Baton Rouge LDS Temple which is being reconstructed (ironically only 2 miles from my house). The visual focus of the structure is the golden statue of the Angel Moroni on top. Ironically, this is after the LDS declaration that your church no longer wants to be called Mormon but rather called the Church of Jesus Christ of LDS.

Why not place a statue of Jesus or a cross there, since your group claims to be Christians? Is Moroni still there because you are really Moroni-ites / Mormons?

What percent of people who drive by this golden statue are reminded of Jesus and think it is a church of Jesus Christ?

Maybe, renaming your church and setting aside the name Mormon needs to be followed by pulling the Moroni's off your temples and install a statue that focuses on Jesus. That would be consistent with your name change.

• Agree
Reactions: BigDaddy4

Kenny'sID

Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,304.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Ironically, this is after the LDS declaration that your church no longer wants to be called Mormon but rather called the Church of Jesus Christ of LDS.

Then they admit they have a bad name. Seems to me they should run with the reason for that, and straighten out their act, and not simply make that go away by renaming themselves.

Upvote 0

Dale

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Apr 14, 2003
Sebring, FL
✟657,808.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

Yesterday, I drove past the Baton Rouge LDS Temple which is being reconstructed (ironically only 2 miles from my house). The visual focus of the structure is the golden statue of the Angel Moroni on top. Ironically, this is after the LDS declaration that your church no longer wants to be called Mormon but rather called the Church of Jesus Christ of LDS.

Why not place a statue of Jesus or a cross there, since your group claims to be Christians? Is Moroni still there because you are really Moroni-ites / Mormons?

What percent of people who drive by this golden statue are reminded of Jesus and think it is a church of Jesus Christ?

Maybe, renaming your church and setting aside the name Mormon needs to be followed by pulling the Moroni's off your temples and install a statue that focuses on Jesus. That would be consistent with your name change.

I have heard that there are no crosses in Mormon churches, staikhouses, or temples. They don't use the cross. Is this true?

Upvote 0

devin553344

I believe in the Resurrection
Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I have heard that there are no crosses in Mormon churches, staikhouses, or temples. They don't use the cross. Is this true?

I was LDS (Mormon) for years and they don't want to see the cross. They don't have images of the cross worn or anything of that manner. They teach you to not wear a cross in church. But it's not an anti-Jesus thing in their view.

They have pictures of a caucasian Jesus with open arms in the clouds or kneeling in prayer.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Then they admit they have a bad name. Seems to me they should run with the reason for that, and straighten out their act, and not simply make that go away by renaming themselves.
The true name of the church was given to Joseph Smith in a revelation in 1838 and it is The Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latter Day Saints. The nickname given to the church is Mormon because of the Book of Mormon. The church is not being renamed, just reemphasizing the true name of the church which is on every chapel and temple.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married

Here is a link: Why the Angel Moroni Tops Most LDS Temples - LDS Temple Pictures

Upvote 0

Sanoy

Apr 27, 2017
America
✟118,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
We admit nothing of the sort. It was made known to our prophet, Elder Nelson, that Jesus would like the people in his church to refer to him instead of us, when we use the name of his church. Pretty simple.
No monumental shift. No renaming ourselves. Jesus does want us to straighten out our act in this regard, I will agree. So we will.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums