LDS Mormons, who is Heavenly Father?

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Orthodox Christians believe the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are in an eternal relationship with each other. Mormons believe that the Son is the literal firstborn son of Heavenly Father and His spouse, Heavenly Mother. This precludes that eternal relationship.

If you are saying that because Jesus is literally the firstborn son of Heavenly Father and His spouse, Heavenly Mother, that this would preclude that eternal relationship?

Then you must also conclude that Jesus, being born a mortal, and literally being the firstborn mortal son of Mary and God the Father (and I don't know what relationship Mary had with God the Father) should also preclude that eternal relationship. You cannot have your cake and eat it too.

Besides, if what you say is true, you have 2 Eternals (God the Father, and his spouse, Heavenly Mother) bringing forth Their firstborn son (in some way that has not been revealed to our prophets), but the nature of the son would be Eternal also. Make no mistake, Mormons believe that Jesus is as much an eternal entity as God the Father is. They have an eternal relationship, even though Jesus is His firstborn spirit child, and His firstborn begotten child in the flesh. Neither firstborn designations precludes an eternal relationship with God the Father. In fact, the scriptures confirm this relationship.

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Or "preexistence".
The word in the bible for pre-mortal existence, is 'first estate'.
See Jude 1:6
And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day.

1/3 of Heavenly Fathers spirit children rejected Him and Jesus and eventally there was a war in heaven. Lucifer was the leader of the 1/3 and Michael was the leader (chosen by Jesus) of the 2/3 and they were defeated only by the blood of the Lamb which was Jesus.

The 1/3 were eventually kicked out of heaven and were thrown down to the earth and they kept not their first estate. 2/3 of the children did keep their first estate in this pre-mortal existence, and they then had the opportunity to progress and recieve a body, just lke Jesus did, and then be resurrected with a gloious body of flesh and bone and spirit, again, just like Jesus. The whole biblical concept of the first estate is completely lost to the Christian church after about 200ad. It is only because of JS that this vital doctrine is again known on earth and is being examined again. It makes a major difference in a persons willingness, and courage to keep our second estate (earthlife), and to live the whole gospel of Jesus Christ, because our future is so bright and glorious if we do.

Upvote 0

NYCGuy

Mar 9, 2011
New York
✟33,519.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Again you're deflecting.

Actually I'm not, again. The concept of substance/essence/being/nature involves the eternal relationship between the Persons. It is the nature of God to eternally exist as the Trinity. The fact that you cannot see this demonstrates you need to go back and read what the actual Trinitarians have posted in this thread.

I mean, what do I know, I'm only the one who actually believes in this concept that you reject.

Reactions: dzheremi
Upvote 0

NYCGuy

Mar 9, 2011
New York
✟33,519.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
The word in the bible for pre-mortal existence, is 'first estate'.
See Jude 1:6
And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day.

1/3 of Heavenly Fathers spirit children rejected Him and Jesus and eventally there was a war in heaven. Lucifer was the leader of the 1/3 and Michael was the leader (chosen by Jesus) of the 2/3 and they were defeated only by the blood of the Lamb which was Jesus.

The 1/3 were eventually kicked out of heaven and were thrown down to the earth and they kept not their first estate. 2/3 of the children did keep their first estate in this pre-mortal existence, and they then had the opportunity to progress and recieve a body, just lke Jesus did, and then be resurrected with a gloious body of flesh and bone and spirit, again, just like Jesus. The whole biblical concept of the first estate is completely lost to the Christian church after about 200ad. It is only because of JS that this vital doctrine is again known on earth and is being examined again. It makes a major difference in a persons willingness, and courage to keep our second estate (earthlife), and to live the whole gospel of Jesus Christ, because our future is so bright and glorious if we do.

Right so "preexistence" is not in the Bible. Thank you.

Reactions: BigDaddy4
Upvote 0

NYCGuy

Mar 9, 2011
New York
✟33,519.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
If you are saying that because Jesus is literally the firstborn son of Heavenly Father and His spouse, Heavenly Mother, that this would preclude that eternal relationship?

Then you must also conclude that Jesus, being born a mortal, and literally being the firstborn mortal son of Mary and God the Father (and I don't know what relationship Mary had with God the Father) should also preclude that eternal relationship. You cannot have your cake and eat it too.

Besides, if what you say is true, you have 2 Eternals (God the Father, and his spouse, Heavenly Mother) bringing forth Their firstborn son (in some way that has not been revealed to our prophets), but the nature of the son would be Eternal also. Make no mistake, Mormons believe that Jesus is as much an eternal entity as God the Father is. They have an eternal relationship, even though Jesus is His firstborn spirit child, and His firstborn begotten child in the flesh. Neither firstborn designations precludes an eternal relationship with God the Father. In fact, the scriptures confirm this relationship.

Right Mormons believe that Jesus is eternal just like we are all eternal, uncreated "intelligences".

Why would Jesus' incarnation preclude an eternal relationship? He existed prior to His birth on earth. Sorry, that does not make sense.

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
Right Mormons believe that Jesus is eternal just like we are all eternal, uncreated "intelligences".

Why would Jesus' incarnation preclude an eternal relationship? He existed prior to His birth on earth. Sorry, that does not make sense.
The fact's the point: your objection in #324 doesn't make any sense.

Upvote 0

NYCGuy

Mar 9, 2011
New York
✟33,519.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
The fact's the point: your objection in #324 doesn't make any sense.

Says you. The rest of us seem to have no trouble understanding our own beliefs on how the nature of God directly involves the relationship between the Persons of the Trinity.

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Ridiculous. Your Sabellian tendencies are showing again, Peter. It is not a contradiction to say that God is spirit and that Jesus Christ has a body and is God. Please review the incarnation from any traditional source. I suggest St. Athanasius' classic text on the same: On the Incarnation of the Word - Christian Classics Ethereal Library
Remember dzheremi, the Sabellian tendencies are squarely on your shoulders.
Sabellian doctrine = 1 God, 3 Modes.
Trinitarian doctrine = 1 God, 3 Persons.
Mormon doctrine = 3 separate and distinct Individuals, 1 only in unity, love, grace, purpose, etc., etc., etc.

So as you can see we are far far away from tending toward Sabellian doctrine, in fact we destroy it. But the Trinity doctrine snuggles right up against it.

I say that the Sabellian doctrine was the proto type for the Trinity doctrine. Change 1 word and everything is OK all of a sudden. Sabellian also used the word 'homoousa' which was rather abhored by the church around 210-250.

My how times changed between then and 325. Change Modes to Persons, but keep the abhored 'homoousia', and even with the weight and threat of the great Constantine and his army in Nicea, the Trinity doctrine barely passed.

So don't talk to me about Sabellian tendencies.

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Right so "preexistence" is not in the Bible. Thank you.
It is not in the bible, but the concept is clear. Homoousia is not in the bible, and the concept is unclear. Again, you can't have your cake and eat it too. Let me demonstrate:

If homoousia is what I think it is, it would require that God the Father and His Son Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit must have all been crucified on the cross with Jesus.

Now, I have a pretty good idea that you are going to call this a blasphemous statement, but let me further demonstate:

Here is the 'cake': God the Father and His Son Jesus Christ and the HS are 1 God, homoousia, not confounding the Persons or dividing the substance.

Here is the 'eat it too'. Jesus was on the cross alone. God the Father had forsaken him.

You can't say They are 3 Persons in 1 God, if sometimes They are separated and distinct, like on the cross.

If they are truly homoousia or 1 in the same substance, then God the Father could never have forsaken Jesus on the cross. They both must have died, along with the HS.

Tell me how I am wrong.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
If your Mormon Jesus is the result of the union in time of a heavenly father and heavenly mother, then there can be no real comparison between him and the Jesus of Christianity, Who was incarnate for our sake and became man of His own will, not as a result of generation after the same manner as any person is born. The Christ Whom Christians worship did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, as He is God, and yet willingly became man, as taught in the scriptures and the fathers and the liturgies of the Church since time immemorial:

Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus, who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men. And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross.

-- Philippians 2:5-8 NKJV

He (Christ) took to Himself a body, a human body even as our own. Nor did He will merely to become embodied or merely to appear; had that been so, He could have revealed His divine majesty in some other and better way. No, He took our body, and not only so, but He took it directly from a spotless, stainless virgin, without the agency of human father — a pure body, untainted by intercourse with man. He, the Mighty One, the Artificer of all, Himself prepared this body in the virgin as a temple for Himself, and took it for His very own, as the instrument through which He was known and in which He dwelt. Thus, taking a body like our own, because all our bodies were liable to the corruption of death, He surrendered His body to death instead of all, and offered it to the Father. This He did out of sheer love for us, so that in His death all might die, and the law of death thereby be abolished because, having fulfilled in His body that for which it was appointed, it was thereafter voided of its power for men. This He did that He might turn again to incorruption men who had turned back to corruption, and make them alive through death by the appropriation of His body and by the grace of His resurrection. Thus He would make death to disappear from them as utterly as straw from fire.

-- St. Athanasius the Apostolic, On the Incarnation

Amen. Amen. Amen. I believe, I believe, I believe and confess to the last breath, that this is the life-giving body that your only-begotten Son, our Lord, God and Saviour Jesus Christ took from our lady, the lady of us all, the holy Theotokos Saint Mary. He made it one with his divinity without mingling, without confusion and without alteration. He witnessed the good confession before Pontius Pilate. He gave it up for us upon the holy wood of the cross, of his own will, for us all. Truly I believe that his divinity parted not from his humanity for a single moment nor a twinkling of an eye. Given for us for salvation, remission of sins and eternal life to those who partake of him. I believe, I believe, I believe that this is so in truth. Amen.

-- Coptic Liturgy of St. Basil (the priest's confession before the Eucharist)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

NYCGuy

Mar 9, 2011
New York
✟33,519.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
It is not in the bible, but the concept is clear. Homoousia is not in the bible, and the concept is unclear. Again, you can't have your cake and eat it too. Let me demonstrate:

If homoousia is what I think it is, it would require that God the Father and His Son Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit must have all been crucified on the cross with Jesus.

Now, I have a pretty good idea that you are going to call this a blasphemous statement, but let me further demonstate:

Here is the 'cake': God the Father and His Son Jesus Christ and the HS are 1 God, homoousia, not confounding the Persons or dividing the substance.

Here is the 'eat it too'. Jesus was on the cross alone. God the Father had forsaken him.

You can't say They are 3 Persons in 1 God, if sometimes They are separated and distinct, like on the cross.

If they are truly homoousia or 1 in the same substance, then God the Father could never have forsaken Jesus on the cross. They both must have died, along with the HS.

Tell me how I am wrong.

It's funny how you already acknowledge that I, an actual believing Trinitarian, will say that this is nonsense and not representative of Trinitarian belief, yet you continue to try and claim that this is the implication of my own belief. Very amusing.

Quite simply you don't understand what Trinitarians actually believe, as you are clearly confusing our belief with the modalist heresy. No, only Jesus was crucified on the cross. The Trinity doctrine clearly and emphatically teaches that the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are three distinct Persons who are not each other. As we read in the Catechism of the Catholic Church:

254 The divine persons are really distinct from one another. "God is one but not solitary."86 "Father", "Son", "Holy Spirit" are not simply names designating modalities of the divine being, for they are really distinct from one another: "He is not the Father who is the Son, nor is the Son he who is the Father, nor is the Holy Spirit he who is the Father or the Son."87 They are distinct from one another in their relations of origin: "It is the Father who generates, the Son who is begotten, and the Holy Spirit who proceeds."88 The divine Unity is Triune.

So yes, we can and do say, and have since the beginning, that God is three distinct Persons who are not each other.

Perhaps you need to do some reading on what you claim to understand, because it is clearly erroneous from actual Trinitarian theological understanding.

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
If your Mormon Jesus is the result of the union in time of a heavenly father and heavenly mother, then there can be no real comparison between him and the Jesus of Christianity,
How so? In both views He was eternally existent, Son of the Father.
Who was incarnate for our sake and became man of His own will
Also the same between both views.
The Christ Whom Christians worship did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, as He is God, and yet willingly became man
Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus, who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men. And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross.

-- Philippians 2:5-8 NKJV
A beautiful scripture beloved by all Christians, including LDS.
He (Christ) took to Himself a body, a human body even as our own. Nor did He will merely to become embodied or merely to appear; had that been so, He could have revealed His divine majesty in some other and better way. No, He took our body, and not only so, but He took it directly from a spotless, stainless virgin, without the agency of human father — a pure body, untainted by intercourse with man. He, the Mighty One, the Artificer of all, Himself prepared this body in the virgin as a temple for Himself, and took it for His very own, as the instrument through which He was known and in which He dwelt. Thus, taking a body like our own, because all our bodies were liable to the corruption of death, He surrendered His body to death instead of all, and offered it to the Father. This He did out of sheer love for us, so that in His death all might die, and the law of death thereby be abolished because, having fulfilled in His body that for which it was appointed, it was thereafter voided of its power for men. This He did that He might turn again to incorruption men who had turned back to corruption, and make them alive through death by the appropriation of His body and by the grace of His resurrection. Thus He would make death to disappear from them as utterly as straw from fire.

-- St. Athanasius the Apostolic, On the Incarnation

Amen. Amen. Amen. I believe, I believe, I believe and confess to the last breath, that this is the life-giving body that your only-begotten Son, our Lord, God and Saviour Jesus Christ took from our lady, the lady of us all, the holy Theotokos Saint Mary. He made it one with his divinity without mingling, without confusion and without alteration. He witnessed the good confession before Pontius Pilate. He gave it up for us upon the holy wood of the cross, of his own will, for us all. Truly I believe that his divinity parted not from his humanity for a single moment nor a twinkling of an eye. Given for us for salvation, remission of sins and eternal life to those who partake of him. I believe, I believe, I believe that this is so in truth. Amen.

-- Coptic Liturgy of St. Basil (the priest's confession before the Eucharist)
I don't see anything in here LDS disagree with.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Aug 27, 2014
✟429,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Remember dzheremi, the Sabellian tendencies are squarely on your shoulders.

So you say, but you don't really have any reason for saying so beyond your own equation of Trinitarianism with Sabellianism, despite the fact that they are opposing positions. Sabellius' 'trinity' was in fact a sort of monad which merely exchanged one 'mask' for another according to the situation. There would not have been any substance to be shared between the persons, because there aren't persons involved in it to begin with.

So as you can see we are far far away from tending toward Sabellian doctrine, in fact we destroy it.

If you were not at least tending towards Sabellianism, you would not confuse the Father and the Son as you do by claiming that both have bodies of flesh and bone when this is only true of the Son by virtue of His incarnation -- not of the Father, Who is not incarnate. The Trinitarian maintains the distinction between the Persons while affirming the unity of their nature -- one God in three Persons -- by recourse to these very basic, traditional concepts of ousia (essence/substance) and hypostasis (~ 'person'). This is why I quoted St. Basil earlier in response to a question about what ousia means, because it is necessary to understand these two terms to understand traditional Trinitarianism: "The distinction between ousia and hypostases is the same as that between the general and the particular; as, for instance, between the animal and the particular man. Wherefore, in the case of the Godhead, we confess one essence or substance so as not to give variant definition of existence, but we confess a particular hypostasis, in order that our conception of Father, Son, and Holy Spirit may be without confusion and clear."

One essence/substance (ousia), in the shared divinity which is equal and indivisible, in three hypostases -- Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. This is not three 'modes' because they are not merely manifestations of one person, but three persons, and it is not three gods (as in Mormonism) because they are not heterogeneous in essence/substance, but instead fully and equally of the same divinity. They share all that it is to be God, being equal in their power, authority, eternality, etc. Whereas he Mormon gods are, as has been explained to me here by Mormons, united in purpose, love, etc. and other things that say nothing of their sharing the same essence (in fact, poster Jane Doe once flatly told me that the LDS do not affirm this 'unbiblical' concept, although as you can see above she has not been consistent in rejecting this).

I say that the Sabellian doctrine was the proto type for the Trinity doctrine. Change 1 word and everything is OK all of a sudden. Sabellian also used the word 'homoousa' which was rather abhored by the church around 210-250.

Yes, and if you change one letter (not even a full word) from homoousios to homoiousios, you similarly come up with a concept that is completely unpalatable and heretical. What's your point? You can't just change whatever you want in order to make it easier to construct an argument. If we're talking Mormon theology, I'm going to want to talk theology, not about how easy it is to change 'Mormon' to 'Moron' therefore that surely must mean something. Please adhere to the same very basic standard when discussing Christian theology.

My how times changed between then and 325. Change Modes to Persons, but keep the abhored 'homoousia', and even with the weight and threat of the great Constantine and his army in Nicea, the Trinity doctrine barely passed.

Constantine was pliable on this issue, as he had been baptized by an Arian (Eusebius of Nicomedia), and it was under the sway of the Arians that he was convinced to exile St. Athanasius the Apostolic for the saint's continued conflict with the Arians (the Arian party lied and said that St. Athanasius threatened the grain supply from Egypt to the rest of the empire) in the aftermath of the Council of Tyre in 335 (Constantine did not pass on until 337).

So you can't really be serious about "Constantine and his army at Nicaea". I'm sure he wanted the parties to stop fighting (a council would not have been called if there wasn't a major problem in the ongoing state of affairs), but that desire and the means to enforce whatever result seemed to be at issue doesn't add up to anything like an "army", and if it had, there would've certainly been better people to lead it than Constantine.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Aug 27, 2014
✟429,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
How so? In both views He was eternally existent, Son of the Father.

How do you figure? If Mormonism's Jesus figure is the result of physical union between heavenly father and heavenly mother, then clearly they both existed before him, and there was a time when He was not, which contradicts the scriptures. Besides, it is fundamental the that mode of creation is not the same between God and man:

"For God creates, and to create is also ascribed to men; and God has being, and men are said to be, having received from God this gift also. Yet does God create as men do? or is His being as man’s being? Perish the thought; we understand the terms in one sense of God, and in another of men. For God creates, in that He calls what is not into being, needing nothing thereunto; but men work some existing material, first praying, and so gaining the wit to make, from that God who has framed all things by His proper Word. And again men, being incapable of self-existence, are enclosed in place, and consist in the Word of God; but God is self-existent, enclosing all things, and enclosed by none; within all according to His own goodness and power, yet without all in His proper nature. As then men create not as God creates, as their being is not such as God’s being, so men’s generation is in one way, and the Son is from the Father in another." -- St. Athanasius, De Decretis

Can you please explain why it is then that your fellow Mormons are flatly saying "Jesus is not God", as here? And why you yourself in the past have said that LDS reject that the persons of the Trinity are of the same essence/substance?

A beautiful scripture beloved by all Christians, including LDS.

It does not seem to be so (see directly above).

Upvote 0

NYCGuy

Mar 9, 2011
New York
✟33,519.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Mormons claim that all of us have existed eternally as "intelligences" prior to our spirit birth from Heavenly Father and Heavenly Mother, with Jesus being the firstborn spirit son. They can claim that Jesus is "eternal", as we all are, because of that belief in eternal intelligences.

Fundamental to the teachings of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the concept that all human beings were born as spirit sons and daughters of heavenly parents before any were born as mortals to earthly parents. Latter-day Saints believe that the eldest and firstborn spirit child of God is Jehovah and that it was he who was later born with a physical body to mary as Jesus Christ. That is, Jehovah of the Old Testament became Jesus Christ of the New Testament when he was born into mortality. The Psalmist refers to the Messiah as the firstborn (Ps. 89:27), and the apostle Paul speaks of Jesus as the "firstborn among many brethren" (Rom. 8:29; cf. Heb. 2:17) and as the "firstborn of every creature" (Col. 1:15). Perhaps the most authoritative statement on the subject is from the Savior himself, who declared to the Prophet Joseph Smith, "I was in the beginning with the Father, and am the Firstborn" (D&C 93:21; see also Church of the Firstborn). In 1909 the First Presidency of the Church declared: The Father of Jesus is our Father also. Jesus Himself taught this truth, when He instructed His disciples how to pray: "Our Father which art in heaven," etc. Jesus, however, is the firstborn among all the sons of God-the first begotten in the spirit, and the only begotten in the flesh. He is our elder brother, and we, like Him, are in the image of God. All men and women are in the similitude of the universal Father and Mother, and are literally the sons and daughters of Deity [MFP 4:203]. [See also "Origin of Man," included in Doctrinal Expositions of the First Presidency in Appendix.]
Jesus Christ - The Encyclopedia of Mormonism

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
How do you figure? If Mormonism's Jesus figure is the result of physical union between heavenly father and heavenly mother, then clearly they both existed before him, and there was a time when He was not,
No, all were eternally existent. The phrase firstborn used (for example Num. 3:13, Rom. 8:29, Heb. 1:6) does not refer to being physically pushed out of a birth canal, but more metaphysical. There is no contradiction here with scripture.
Can you please explain why it is then that your fellow Mormons are flatly saying "Jesus is not God", as here?
The section you are quoting is not denying Christ's divinity at all. LDS simply do not forget that Christ is the Son of God and bows before the Father and refers to the Father as "my God" (John 20:17).
And why you yourself in the past have said that LDS reject that the persons of the Trinity are of the same essence/substance?
LDS do not use these words, as they are found no where in scripture. Since you have stated that these do not refer to anything physical, I have asked you to the concept being espoused with LDS ones.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Aug 27, 2014
✟429,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
No, all were eternally existent. The phrase firstborn used (for example Num. 3:13, Rom. 8:29, Heb. 1:6) does not refer to being physically pushed out of a birth canal, but more metaphysical. There is no contradiction here with scripture.

Okay, then in what way is it metaphysical? Because what is given above from the Encyclopedia of Mormonism says that it is literally so: All men and women are in the similitude of the universal Father and Mother, and are literally the sons and daughters of Deity.

And even then, what does it mean that Jesus Christ is 'metaphorically' born of a heavenly father and mother? That concept is still completely absent from Christianity. There is no 'heavenly mother', and Christ is in no way the result of the physical union of God with anything or anyone. (Lord have mercy.)

The section you are quoting is not denying Christ's divinity at all. LDS simply do not forget that Christ is the Son of God and bows before the Father and refers to the Father as "my God" (John 20:17).

He openly says "Jesus Christ is not God." That is a direct quote. Is this your theology or not?

Since you have stated that these do not refer to anything physical, I have asked you to the concept being espoused with LDS ones.

I don't understand what you are trying to say here. Can you please restate your question?

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
Okay, then in what way is it metaphysical?
The metaphysics relating to spirits is not something we understand at this time, but will later be revealed.
Because what is given above from the Encyclopedia of Mormonism says that it is literally so: All men and women are in the similitude of the universal Father and Mother, and are literally the sons and daughters of Deity.
Did you want to talk about Christ, or about you and I? This quote is discussing the latter. I can discuss it if you want, it's just a different topic.
That concept is still completely absent from Christianity.
How then do you interpret Num. 3:13, Rom. 8:29, Heb. 1:6, and the many times when it is said Christ is the Son of God?
There is no 'heavenly mother', and Christ is in no way the result of the physical union of God with anything or anyone. (Lord have mercy.)
Again, LDS are not discussing physical birth canals here in any way.
He openly says "Jesus Christ is not God." That is a direct quote. Is this your theology or not?
I just responded to this...
I don't understand what you are trying to say here. Can you please restate your question?
LDS view the Father, Son, and Spirit as three different persons being completely united in goodness, purity, love, justice, grace, etc. How would you say that is different from your view of God different than members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints?

Upvote 0

NYCGuy

Mar 9, 2011
New York
✟33,519.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Did you want to talk about Christ, or about you and I? This quote is discussing the latter. I can discuss it if you want, it's just a different topic.

So Christ is not in the similitude of the universal Father and Mother, and is not literally the son of Deity?

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Whew! I love discussions about our Triune God who is the True God --- but this thread began as a comparison of our Heavenly Father versus the Mormon heavenly father (an exalted man).

I get the impression that Mormons don't want to distiguish our Triune God from the modalists' god.

Upvote 0