USA
✟13,891.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Can you explain what you mean when you say "the Gospel"?

In the words of Thomas S. Monson :)

... love is the very essence of the gospel, and Jesus Christ is our Exemplar. His life was a legacy of love. The sick He healed; the downtrodden He lifted; the sinner He saved. At the end the angry mob took His life. And yet there rings from Golgotha’s hill the words: “Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do”—a crowning expression in mortality of compassion and love.

There are many attributes which are manifestations of love, such as kindness, patience, selflessness, understanding, and forgiveness. In all our associations, these and other such attributes will help make evident the love in our hearts. ...

Love—the Essence of the Gospel - By President Thomas S. Monson

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Could you please explain what the words "the Gospel" mean?

"Preach My Gospel is intended to help you be a better-prepared, more spiritually mature missionary and a more persuasive teacher."
Missionary Lesson Manuals

The missionaries surely wouldn't give interested parties the words of Thomas S. Monson if they have are to share "the Gospel." They could share that in a few minutes. Would the person to whom they were speaking then be asked to submit to baptism because they had just heard and accepted "the Gospel?"

Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
Could you please explain what the words "the Gospel" mean?

"Preach My Gospel is intended to help you be a better-prepared, more spiritually mature missionary and a more persuasive teacher."
Missionary Lesson Manuals

The missionaries surely wouldn't give interested parties the words of Thomas S. Monson if they have are to share "the Gospel." They could share that in a few minutes. Would the person to whom they were speaking then be asked to submit to baptism because they had just heard and accepted "the Gospel?"

As someone who claims to be a former member of the church, you should know that the process of delivering the lessons and conversion isn't something that should be rushed; IIRC, it should be at least a month so that the person has time to study matters out for themselves and think it over.

Upvote 0

NYCGuy

Mar 9, 2011
New York
✟33,519.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
As someone who claims to be a former member of the church, you should know that the process of delivering the lessons and conversion isn't something that should be rushed; IIRC, it should be at least a month so that the person has time to study matters out for themselves and think it over.

I was baptized two weeks after my first meeting with the missionaries.

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's only a small fragment of it.
Fragmentation or not, it is one of the first steps, is it not?

Regardless, still not something Jesus or his disciples did. Jesus said "Come follow me." not "Go home and pray about following me." to his disciples. Peter on the day of Pentacost shared the Good News and 3,000 were added that day.

Reactions: dzheremi
Upvote 0

KevinSim

Latter-day Saint
Feb 8, 2017
Springville, Utah
✟14,102.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Fragmentation or not, it is one of the first steps, is it not?

Regardless, still not something Jesus or his disciples did. Jesus said "Come follow me." not "Go home and pray about following me." to his disciples. Peter on the day of Pentacost shared the Good News and 3,000 were added that day.
Well, that's what the New Testament says Jesus did. How does someone in 2017 who wants to do the will of God go about finding out Jesus did that, if s/he can't go home and pray and ask God if Jesus did that, and count on God answering?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

KevinSim

Latter-day Saint
Feb 8, 2017
Springville, Utah
✟14,102.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Can you explain what you mean when you say "the Gospel"?
I certainly could be wrong, but I have been led to believe that the Gospel is the good news that Jesus paid for our sins, so we can be forgiven of them.

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, that's what the New Testament says Jesus did. How does someone in 2017 who wants to do the will of God go about finding out Jesus did that, if s/he can't go home and pray and ask God if Jesus did that, and count on God answering?
Jesus, nor his disciples, did not hand out BOM's to go home a read and pray about. Nor did they hand out scrolls to take home. They preached the Good News (and certainly NOT some "another testiment"). People, upon hearing the Gospel, believed as the Holy Spirit enabled them. No missionary lessons, no "milk before meat" secrets, no secret endowment ceremonies.

In 2017, the Holy Spirit has not changed. He will enable those who hear the Gospel to believe, even if it takes a while and they have tons of questions.

Reactions: ArmenianJohn
Upvote 0

KevinSim

Latter-day Saint
Feb 8, 2017
Springville, Utah
✟14,102.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Jesus, nor his disciples, did not hand out BOM's to go home a read and pray about. Nor did they hand out scrolls to take home. They preached the Good News (and certainly NOT some "another testiment"). People, upon hearing the Gospel, believed as the Holy Spirit enabled them. No missionary lessons, no "milk before meat" secrets, no secret endowment ceremonies.

In 2017, the Holy Spirit has not changed. He will enable those who hear the Gospel to believe, even if it takes a while and they have tons of questions.
BigDaddy4, you didn't answer my question.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I certainly could be wrong, but I have been led to believe that the Gospel is the good news that Jesus paid for our sins, so we can be forgiven of them.

Why don't you tell us what Mormonism calls "the Gospel" instead of pretending that Mormons agree with us?

Because if you agree with Christians, you're admitting we don't need to become Mormons. We already have the Good News.

Reactions: ArmenianJohn
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

KevinSim

Latter-day Saint
Feb 8, 2017
Springville, Utah
✟14,102.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Why don't you tell us what Mormonism calls "the Gospel" instead of pretending that Mormons agree with us?
I'm telling you what I've heard in Gospel Doctrine classes; I'm not pretending anything.

Because if you agree with Christians, you're admitting we don't need to become Mormons. We already have the Good News.
Are you upset with me because I've given a general description of what the Gospel is? You didn't specify how in depth you wanted the answer. Jesus did indeed pay for our sins so that we wouldn't have to, but in order to get His atonement working in our lives to its fullest extent, we're going to have to do what He told us to do, which is repent, get baptized, and get the Holy Spirit in our lives. Those latter two involve ordinances that God wants performed by someone with His authority. There, are those enough details for you? I could go into more detail if you'd like.

Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single

Your same argument could be used against the wide distribution of Bibles.

You know that, right?

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I'm telling you what I've heard in Gospel Doctrine classes; I'm not pretending anything.

I'm sorry. The "Good News" doesn't answer the question I asked. We have the Good News. I wanted to know how Mormons define "the Gospel." I kept trying to make myself clear and I thought you didn't want to tell us.

Are you upset with me because I've given a general description of what the Gospel is? You didn't specify how in depth you wanted the answer. Jesus did indeed pay for our sins so that we wouldn't have to, but in order to get His atonement working in our lives to its fullest extent, we're going to have to do what He told us to do, which is repent, get baptized, and get the Holy Spirit in our lives. Those latter two involve ordinances that God wants performed by someone with His authority. There, are those enough details for you? I could go into more detail if you'd like.

No, I'm not upset with you. I was getting frustrated.

Had you answered according to lds.org, the answer would tell everyone what Mormons actually refer to as "the Gospel." If "the Gospel" had to be restored, it wasn't the Good News that we already have in our Bibles.

The gospel is our Heavenly Father's plan of happiness. The central doctrine of the gospel is the Atonement of Jesus Christ. The Prophet Joseph Smith said, “The first principles and ordinances of the Gospel are: first, Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, Repentance; third, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; fourth, Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost” (Articles of Faith 1:4).

In its fulness, the gospel includes all the doctrines, principles, laws, ordinances, and covenants necessary for us to be exalted in the celestial kingdom. The Savior has promised that if we endure to the end, faithfully living the gospel, He will hold us guiltless before the Father at the Final Judgment (see 3 Nephi 27:16).
Gospel | Principles and Ordinances of the Gospel

Upvote 0

fatboys

Senior Veteran
Nov 18, 2003
✟53,575.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm sorry. The "Good News" doesn't answer the question I asked. We have the Good News. I wanted to know how Mormons define "the Gospel." I kept trying to make myself clear and I thought you didn't want to tell us.

No, I'm not upset with you. I was getting frustrated.

Had you answered according to lds.org, the answer would tell everyone what Mormons actually refer to as "the Gospel." If "the Gospel" had to be restored, it wasn't the Good News that we already have in our Bibles.

The gospel is our Heavenly Father's plan of happiness. The central doctrine of the gospel is the Atonement of Jesus Christ. The Prophet Joseph Smith said, “The first principles and ordinances of the Gospel are: first, Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, Repentance; third, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; fourth, Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost” (Articles of Faith 1:4).

In its fulness, the gospel includes all the doctrines, principles, laws, ordinances, and covenants necessary for us to be exalted in the celestial kingdom. The Savior has promised that if we endure to the end, faithfully living the gospel, He will hold us guiltless before the Father at the Final Judgment (see 3 Nephi 27:16).
Gospel | Principles and Ordinances of the Gospel
The gospel in the bible is the same as the restore gospel. You just interpret the bible differently

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,692.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I'm a bit shocked that someone would be given baptism after only a few weeks. Is what happened to NYC Guy and Phoebe Ann common in the Mormon religion? Seems like it's a bad idea for all involved. Probably most people of any or no religion would counsel someone not to marry someone who they've only known for a few weeks, and how much more important than that is one's relationship with the Almighty?

From what I remember, the Roman Catholic Church's catechism classes for adults take a full calendar year. I took three years after leaving the Roman Catholic Church to eventually (very slowly...) convert to Orthodoxy. I never got the feeling from anybody in my Church that this was somehow a problem or not an appropriate way to do things. (Though in the East, catechesis is often a lot less formal/more individualized than in the West, so that could be part of it.)

Is there a standard format for Mormon catechesis? If so, how can such a quick baptism fit into it?

Upvote 0