Washington
✟219,819.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I notice you emphasized "keeping the commandments" Why is that?
The lds (human) version of "keeping the commandments" is different than the Bible version. I notice you only focus on that. Why is that?

• Agree
Reactions: mmksparbud
Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
The lds (human) version of "keeping the commandments" is different than the Bible version. I notice you only focus on that. Why is that?
Keeping the commandments is an essential element in being alive in Christ:

(New Testament | John 15:4 - 14)

4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.
5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.
6 If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.
7 If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.
8 Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples.
9 As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love.
10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.
11 These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full.
12 This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.
13 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
14 Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Your information is in error and the irony is great. Isaiah is talking about the woes that will come to Jerusalem (Ariel) because the people won't listen to God's prophets - the words are "sealed" to them, as in they can't open them and discern the true meaning. That's why in verse 13 "their hearts are far from me". Jesus quoted this in Matthew 15:7 and Mark 7:6. JESUS, not Joseph Smith, unlocked this "seal".

The irony is "...Their worship of me is based on merely human rules they have been taught." (Isaiah 29:13, Matthew 15:9, and Mark 7:7). That is EXACTLY what your church teaches - human rules on salvation, exhaltation, "keeping the commandments", priesthoods, baptism for the dead, polygamy, etc. The lds church rejects all that came before them in Christianity and the early church, and instead relied on one man's words to turn away from Christianity and start his own church.

It's quite obvious to many of us non-lds (and former lds) that the lds are like the people Isaiah is admonishing - reliance on human rules instead of God's word. May one day the "seal" be unlocked for you and you be able to see and hear the Truth of the Lord Jesus.
God's word is full of rules. Rules from God, many of which you find unprofitable because of your overarching belief that grace will take care of you even if you don't obey God's given rules delineated in his word.

Upvote 0

drstevej

"The crowd always chooses Barabbas."
In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
God's word is full of rules. Rules from God, many of which you find unprofitable because of your overarching belief that grace will take care of you even if you don't obey God's given rules delineated in his word.

And it YOU disobey a rule or two are you beyond grace?
You have disobeyed a rule or two, have you not?

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,819.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Keeping the commandments is an essential element in being alive in Christ:
The deception you keep throwing out there is this is not the complete list of commandments the lds church teaches one must keep. That's why the lds commandments are human based.

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,819.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You will not find the lds rules in God's word, which makes them human based.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
The deception you keep throwing out there is this is not the complete list of commandments the lds church teaches one must keep. That's why the lds commandments are human based.
ALL of the commandments are based on the two great commandments of LOVE:

(New Testament | Matthew 22:35 - 40)

35 Then one of them, which was a lawyer, asked him a question, tempting him, and saying,
36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
38 This is the first and great commandment.
39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Keep these two commandments.

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,819.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
ALL of the commandments are based on the two great commandments of LOVE:

(New Testament | Matthew 22:35 - 40)

35 Then one of them, which was a lawyer, asked him a question, tempting him, and saying,
36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
38 This is the first and great commandment.
39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Keep these two commandments.
Once again, you are being deceiving to make your beliefs sound more Christian. I don't know of a Christian who would disagree with keeping these 2 commandments. Your deception is that the lds teaches there's more to it than just these 2. Please, be honest about that. Some of us know better.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Once again, you are being deceiving to make your beliefs sound more Christian. I don't know of a Christian who would disagree with keeping these 2 commandments. Your deception is that the lds teaches there's more to it than just these 2. Please, be honest about that. Some of us know better.
Why would I change what I said, when it is absolutely true.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Why would I change what I said, when it is absolutely true.

Lesson 4 – The Commandments

Generally, the fourth lesson Mormon missionaries teach people learning about The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is The Commandments. The LDS Church has produced pamphlets for three of the commandments contained in the missionary lesson.

This pamphlet is a review of the Word of Wisdom, which is a commandment from God about health and nutrition, and how we treat our bodies. Download

One of the commandments missionaries will teach you is the Law of Tithing. The Law of Tithing asks members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to contribute 10 percent of their increase to the church. Download

The Law of Chastity is the law of sexual purity. This pamphlet reviews the principles missionaries will teach you about the Law of Chastity. Download

Of course, these aren’t the only commandments God has given to His children. Missionaries will review other important commandments, such as the principle of obedience, prayer, scripture study, the Sabbath day, baptism and confirmation, following the prophet of God, the Ten Commandments, fasting and offerings, and obeying the laws of the land.

Related Content
Search this Site
Search for:
About Me
I'm a Mormon, and throughout my years, I’ve discovered that often times people have big misconceptions about what we believe. Basic Mormon Beliefs is a website dedicated to answering these questions.

As you explore, I hope you'll discover my deep love for Jesus Christ, and come to know that this love and faith is central to the life of every member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Commandments

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married

Generally, the fourth lesson Mormon missionaries teach people learning about The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is The Commandments. The LDS Church has produced pamphlets for three of the commandments contained in the missionary lesson.

This pamphlet is a review of the Word of Wisdom, which is a commandment from God about health and nutrition, and how we treat our bodies. Download

One of the commandments missionaries will teach you is the Law of Tithing. The Law of Tithing asks members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to contribute 10 percent of their increase to the church. Download

The Law of Chastity is the law of sexual purity. This pamphlet reviews the principles missionaries will teach you about the Law of Chastity. Download

Of course, these aren’t the only commandments God has given to His children. Missionaries will review other important commandments, such as the principle of obedience, prayer, scripture study, the Sabbath day, baptism and confirmation, following the prophet of God, the Ten Commandments, fasting and offerings, and obeying the laws of the land.

Related Content
Search this Site
Search for:
About Me
I'm a Mormon, and throughout my years, I’ve discovered that often times people have big misconceptions about what we believe. Basic Mormon Beliefs is a website dedicated to answering these questions.

As you explore, I hope you'll discover my deep love for Jesus Christ, and come to know that this love and faith is central to the life of every member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Commandments
We all know that every commandment given to us from God is based on LOVE and that the two greatest commandments of LOVING God and our fellow men (neighbors) hang ALL the law and the prophets. So in other words all of the commandments are based on these two commandments. Even the law of not working on the Sabbath was based on LOVE but instead people used the law to hate one another. The Sabbath was made for man not man for the Sabbath. The letter killeth but the spirit of the law giveth life:
(New Testament | 2 Corinthians 3:6)

6 Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.

Upvote 0

drstevej

In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
We all know that every commandment given to us from God is based on LOVE

How does wearing holy undergarments show love?

upload_2019-6-5_11-39-18.jpeg

Upvote 0

drstevej

In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Back to Missouri...

POST 1
Joseph Smith taught, the Garden of Eden was located in Jackson County, Missouri and following his expulsion from the Garden, Adam traveled northward to a place near modern-day Gallatin, Missouri. Mormon Apostle Orson Pratt stated that the name Adam-ondi-Ahman “is in the original language spoken by Adam, as revealed to the Prophet Joseph” (Journal of Discourses 18:343).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,819.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We all know that every commandment given to us from God is based on LOVE and that the two greatest commandments of LOVING God and our fellow men (neighbors) hang ALL the law and the prophets. So in other words all of the commandments are based on these two commandments. Even the law of not working on the Sabbath was based on LOVE but instead people used the law to hate one another. The Sabbath was made for man not man for the Sabbath. The letter killeth but the spirit of the law giveth life:
(New Testament | 2 Corinthians 3:6)

6 Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.
And there's the tap dancing... :tutu: It's unfortunate that you keep trying to deceive others that this is it. But you know, I know, and most everyone else, if not all, on this thread know that isn't true. Chapter 47 of your Gospel Principles teaches more commandments that are neither found in the Bible nor based in love as you would have us believe.

Also, this is not based on love:
Doctrine and Covenants 130:21

21 And when we obtain any blessing from God, it is by obedience to that law upon which it is predicated.

Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
How does wearing holy undergarments show love?

View attachment 257722

Would you mock a fellow preacher for wearing the collar or another clear and accepted sign of the ministry?

I ask this as, in essence, that's what the garments are: we use a lay ministry, and so the garments are a symbol of that.

If you wouldn't mock a fellow minister, then why are you mocking us?

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
And it YOU disobey a rule or two are you beyond grace?
You have disobeyed a rule or two, have you not?
Of course I have disobeyed a rule or two. And no, I am not going to be beyond grace for doing it, as long as I properly repent and try to not disobey again.

But if I make no effort to repent and continue to not forgive, and to murder, and to....., Then grace will not be offered at the last day and I will not have eternal life with God and Jesus.

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married

Related Content
Search this Site
Search for:
About Me

Commandments
Wow, how horrible is it to live the 'word of wisdom', or pay an honest tithe to God, or live in sexual purity? How dishonest are we for telling people about these commandments?

Do you think these commandments are too hard to bear? Too much for a Christian to be engaged in?

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Back to Missouri...

POST 1
Joseph Smith taught, the Garden of Eden was located in Jackson County, Missouri and following his expulsion from the Garden, Adam traveled northward to a place near modern-day Gallatin, Missouri. Mormon Apostle Orson Pratt stated that the name Adam-ondi-Ahman “is in the original language spoken by Adam, as revealed to the Prophet Joseph” (Journal of Discourses 18:343).
That is correct, thank you for that little snippet of information.

Upvote 0