• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Featured LDS Mormons teach The Garden of Eden in Missouri

Discussion in 'Debate Other Religions & Faiths' started by Christian Apologist, May 18, 2019.

1. Christian Apologist

Christian Apologist Member Supporter

+92
    United States
    Protestant
    Married
    US-Republican
    Joseph Smith taught, the Garden of Eden was located in Jackson County, Missouri and following his expulsion from the Garden, Adam traveled northward to a place near modern-day Gallatin, Missouri. Mormon Apostle Orson Pratt stated that the name Adam-ondi-Ahman “is in the original language spoken by Adam, as revealed to the Prophet Joseph” (Journal of Discourses 18:343).

Tenth Mormon President Joseph Fielding Smith wrote,

“In accord with the revelations given to the Prophet Joseph Smith, we teach that the Garden of Eden was on the American continent located where the city of Zion, or the New Jerusalem will be built. When Adam and Eve were driven out of the Garden, they eventually dwelt at a place called Adam-ondi-Ahman, situated in what is now Daviess County, Missouri” (Doctrines of Salvation 3:74).

Joseph Smith taught that Adam, just prior to his death, called Seth, Enos, Cainan, Mahalaleel, Jared, Enoch and Methuselah, as well as the “residue of his posterity who were righteous,’ to Adam-ondi-Ahman. It was there he “bestowed upon them his last blessing” (Doctrine and Covenants 107:53).

Mormon Apostle John Widtsoe wrote,

“Since Adam called together seven generations of his descendants at Adam-ondi-Ahman, it can well be believed that there was his old homestead. If so, the Garden of Eden was probably not far distant, for it was the entrance at the east of the Garden which was closed against them at the time of the ‘fall’ (Genesis 3:24). In fact, it has been commonly understood among the Latter-day Saints, from the teachings of the Prophet, that the temple was to be built in or near the location of the Garden of Eden” (Evidences and Reconciliations, pg. 396).

According to Heber C. Kimball, a temple block was dedicated. “While there we laid out a city on a high elevated piece of land, and set the stakes for the four corners of a temple block, which was dedicated, Brother Brigham being mouth” (Life of Heber C. Kimball, 2nd ed., pp. 208-209 as printed in BYU Studies, Autumn 1972, pg. 34).

942349_3117319907559_2087917128_G.jpg

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. joshua 1 9

joshua 1 9 Well-Known Member Supporter

+3,527
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Biology teaches us that there are many "Edens". This is why the Eden in the Bible is an Archetype of all the Edens in the world.

3. Lazarus Short

Lazarus Short Well-Known Member

+1,714
    Non-Denom
    Married
    I live in, and grew up in, Missouri. I have been to the spot in Daviess County, where there is an historical marker. However, I have a very difficult time believing that any place pre-flood correlates with any place post-flood.

4. (° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ) Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,811
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Would it be Branson by any chance?

5. Lazarus Short

+1,714
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Branson is SOUTH of Jackson County.

6. mmksparbud

mmksparbud Well-Known Member

+5,162
    United States
    SDA
    Widowed
    US-Others
    [​IMG] Where was it?[​IMG]

7. Christian Apologist

Christian Apologist Member Supporter

+92
    United States
    Protestant
    Married
    US-Republican
    Your guess would be as good as Joseph Smith

8. (° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ) Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,811
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    So is that a "no" then?

9. Lazarus Short

+1,714
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Yes, that is a "no."

BTW, for anyone confused by the two maps of Daviess County, the top one, with Gallatin as the county seat, is the one in Missouri.

The Daviess County in the lower map is in southern Indiana.

Last edited: May 19, 2019
  10. Peter1000

Peter1000 Well-Known Member

+375
    Mormon
    Married
    So what is your point. You don't believe it? How bout that?

11. drstevej

drstevej Light Attracts Bugs Staff Member Chaplain Supporter

+23,779
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Republican
    Do you believe it Peter1000?

12. Peter1000

+375
    Mormon
    Married
    Yes, until someone comes along with pure evidence of the garden of Eden being in another place, I will believe JS.

At least he said he was given this information from a heavenly source. I like that better than an archaeologist or church father who uses words like, 'it may be', 'to my best knowledge', 'I think', 'it is probably'. I agree that you have to believe in JS as a prophet of God.

But do you. JS says the garden of Eden was in Missouri of the US. Who can stand up and tell him that is absolutely false, and I know it because.....?

Are you going to say we have found one of the rivers that came out of Eden. The Euphrates, so at least we know it is not in Missouri. That is a false flag for at least 2 reasons.
    1) Noah coming from Missouri near the original river Euphrates, lands in the middle east and calls the first big river he comes to after the original Euphrates.
    2) Who knows if this river has been known as the Euphrates river since its beginning?
    3) Where are the other 3 rivers that came out of Eden?
    4) Where is the land of Havilah?

Lots of interesting questions. So I will stick with JS until and if someone proves us wrong.

13. drstevej

+23,779
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Republican
  14. Peter1000

+375
    Mormon
    Married
  15. drstevej

+23,779
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Republican
    Could it have been Cape Girardeau, MO ???

16. Peter1000

+375
    Mormon
    Married
    Is it a very beautiful place?

17. drstevej

+23,779
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Republican
    upload_2019-5-26_15-24-40.jpeg [​IMG]

Here's a pic or two

18. Peter1000

+375
    Mormon
    Married
  19. drstevej

+23,779
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Republican
    Dang, I should have sold my house there for more.

20. Peter1000

+375
    Mormon
    Married
    Your right, now that you know that is where the GOE was, go open a store about that and sell GOE stuff. Get everyone excited that they live where the GOE was. Too bad you sold so cheap.