Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
First ----I grew up LDS and like that Church teaches we can be like God. In fact the Lorenzo Snow couplet was taught which goes like this:

"As man is, God once was; as God is, man may become"

And from the LDS website:

The Prophet Joseph Smith himself publicly taught the doctrine the following year, 1844, during a funeral sermon of Elder King Follett: “God himself was once as we are now, and is an exalted man, and sits enthroned in yonder heavens!

Is President Snow’s statement—‘As man now is, God once was; as God now is, man may be’—accepted as official doctrine?

Of course the Church has partially tried to deny this was taught at one time.

But we can go to Genesis and see what satan suggested to Eve which is:

Genesis 3:5
5 For God knows that in the day you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.

God acknowledges this, just before He banished them from the Garden of Eden:

Genesis 3:22

22 Then the Lord God said, “Behold, the man has become like one of Us, to know good and evil. And now, lest he put out his hand and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live forever

A simple Concordance rendering in the Hebrew language tells us that in satan's deception you will be like God would read "like Elohim"----while the phrase the man has become like one of Us" reads far different in what God acknowledges.

Mormons [of which I was one until God brought me out] assume too much from their Bibles and this is a classic example of that assuming.

Last edited:

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
First ----I grew up LDS and like that Church teaches we can be like God. In fact the Lorenzo Snow couplet was taught which goes like this:

The Prophet Joseph Smith himself publicly taught the doctrine the following year, 1844, during a funeral sermon of Elder King Follett: “God himself was once as we are now, and is an exalted man, and sits enthroned in yonder heavens!

Is President Snow’s statement—‘As man now is, God once was; as God now is, man may be’—accepted as official doctrine?

5 For God knows that in the day you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.

22 Then the Lord God said, “Behold, the man has become like one of Us, to know good and evil. And now, lest he put out his hand and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live forever

A simple Concordance rendering in the Hebrew language tells us that in satan's deception you will be like God would read "like Elohim"----while the phrase the man has become like one of Us" reads far different in what God acknowledges.

Mormons [of which I was one until God brought me out] assume too much from their Bibles and this is a classic example of that assuming.
It was not God that brought you out, it was the wrong spirit. Paul knew that we need to become like God:

(New Testament | Philippians 2:5 - 6)

5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:
6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:

(New Testament | Philippians 3:12 - 15)

12 Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus.
13 Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,
14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.
15 Let us therefore, as many as be perfect, be thus minded: and if in any thing ye be otherwise minded, God shall reveal even this unto you.

Peter also understood these things:

(New Testament | 2 Peter 1:2 - 10)

2 Grace and peace be multiplied unto you through the knowledge of God, and of Jesus our Lord,
3 According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:
4 Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.
5 And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;
6 And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness;
7 And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity.
8 For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.
9 But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins.
10 Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married

The church has never backed off of the thoughts that we an become gods. You would have to show me who said, wait a minute we don't believe that exactly. I don't think so.

Satan said this:
4 And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die:
5 For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.

And God agreed this time with satan, who He knew very well.
22 ¶ And the Lord God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:

Since the "us" in verse 22 is another word for "gods", then the truth is that Adam and Eve just took the first step toward being like "us", God. The obvious first big step is to know the difference between good and evil. God even tells us that A&E, because they now knew the difference between good and evil were had become as one of "US" who are "GODS".

So satan's deception, turns out not to be a deception. Except for a bunch of people who cannot countenance the idea of man can be like Gods, like "US".

Give it up, the bible is full of this doctrine. You just read over these scriptures with ignorance or with malice. But the bible is full of this doctrine.

Upvote 0

Jamesone5

Supporter
Aug 7, 2019
Basin
✟97,413.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The church has never backed off of the thoughts that we an become gods. You would have to show me who said, wait a minute we don't believe that exactly. I don't think so.

Satan said this:
4 And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die:
5 For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.

And God agreed this time with satan, who He knew very well.
22 ¶ And the Lord God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:

Since the "us" in verse 22 is another word for "gods", then the truth is that Adam and Eve just took the first step toward being like "us", God. The obvious first big step is to know the difference between good and evil. God even tells us that A&E, because they now knew the difference between good and evil were had become as one of "US" who are "GODS".

So satan's deception, turns out not to be a deception. Except for a bunch of people who cannot countenance the idea of man can be like Gods, like "US".

Give it up, the bible is full of this doctrine. You just read over these scriptures with ignorance or with malice. But the bible is full of this doctrine.

Us, is another word for God of gods in the Hebrew language?

In what Universe?

The Orthadox Jewish Bible even says this:

Bereshis 3:5
5 For Elohim doth know that in the yom ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be like Elohim, knowing tov and rah.

Compared to

Bereshis 3:22
22 And Hashem Elohim said, See, HaAdam is become like one of Us, knowing tov v’rah; and now, lest he put forth his yad, and take also of HaEtz HaChayyim, and eat, and chai l’olam (live forever);

And to your Mormons friend who I ignore

Who does he think WHO is referring to?

Hint:

It is the God, Who's Name is part of your Church.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married

In what Universe?

5 For Elohim doth know that in the yom ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be like Elohim, knowing tov and rah.

Compared to

22 And Hashem Elohim said, See, HaAdam is become like one of Us, knowing tov v’rah; and now, lest he put forth his yad, and take also of HaEtz HaChayyim, and eat, and chai l’olam (live forever);

Hint:

Yes the Who is Jesus Christ and we should be of the same mind because it is not robbery to be equal to God. Jesus also said:

(New Testament | John 10:34 - 35)

34 Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?
35 If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken;

Upvote 0

Jamesone5

Supporter
Aug 7, 2019
Basin
✟97,413.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes the Who is Jesus Christ and we should be of the same mind because it is not robbery to be equal to God. Jesus also said:

(New Testament | John 10:34 - 35)

34 Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?
35 If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken;

You seem to get way ahead of yourself and tell us satan's deception is not relevant because you can pick out gods in later verses after the Fall and dismiss the deception of the Fall.

Genesis is in first part of the Bible and where we started in the Separation from God. This is satan's deception from the Jewish Orthadox Bible.

And for a Mormon that think he can be [ or is] equal to God because he thinks Jesus told him to---- is the huge problem with your Religion.

Heck you do not even believe Christ was in the form of God but another
God altogher. So that verse has no relevence to you Mormons.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
You seem to get way ahead of yourself and tell us satan's deception is not relevant because you can pick out gods in later verses after the Fall and dismiss the deception of the Fall.

Genesis is in first part of the Bible and where we started in the Separation from God. This is satan's deception from the Jewish Orthadox Bible.

And for a Mormon that think he can be [ or is] equal to God because he thinks Jesus told him to---- is the huge problem with your Religion.

Heck you do not even believe Christ was in the form of God but another
God altogher. So that verse has no relevence to you Mormons.
Yes Jesus Christ is in the express image of God the Father:

(New Testament | Hebrews 1:2 - 9)

2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;
3 Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high;
4 Being made so much better than the angels, as he hath by inheritance obtained a more excellent name than they.
5 For unto which of the angels said he at any time, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee? And again, I will be to him a Father, and he shall be to me a Son?
6 And again, when he bringeth in the firstbegotten into the world, he saith, And let all the angels of God worship him.
7 And of the angels he saith, Who maketh his angels spirits, and his ministers a flame of fire.
8 But unto the Son he saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of thy kingdom.
9 Thou hast loved righteousness, and hated iniquity; therefore God, even thy God, hath anointed thee with the oil of gladness above thy fellows.

God the Father, who is the Father and God of Jesus, anointed Him with the oil of gladness above His brethren.

Upvote 0

Jamesone5

Supporter
Aug 7, 2019
Basin
✟97,413.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes Jesus Christ is in the express image of God the Father:

(New Testament | Hebrews 1:2 - 9)

2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;
3 Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high;
4 Being made so much better than the angels, as he hath by inheritance obtained a more excellent name than they.
5 For unto which of the angels said he at any time, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee? And again, I will be to him a Father, and he shall be to me a Son?
6 And again, when he bringeth in the firstbegotten into the world, he saith, And let all the angels of God worship him.
7 And of the angels he saith, Who maketh his angels spirits, and his ministers a flame of fire.
8 But unto the Son he saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of thy kingdom.
9 Thou hast loved righteousness, and hated iniquity; therefore God, even thy God, hath anointed thee with the oil of gladness above thy fellows.

God the Father, who is the Father and God of Jesus, anointed Him with the oil of gladness above His brethren.

Express image of God--yet a different God?

Going to put you back on ignore as these argument are redundant.
And as usual, you try to take the focus away from the OP.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married

Yes a different God. His God is God the Father:

(New Testament | John 20:17)

17 Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.

But you still don't get it.

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married

In what Universe?

Compared to

Hint:

Who do you think "US" in Genesis is referring to? Remember, "US" is plural in any language.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jamesone5

Supporter
Aug 7, 2019
Basin
✟97,413.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Who do you think "US" in Genesis is referring to? Remember, "US" is plural in any language.

Us does not mean Elohim----There is not such a word

But you are just ASSUMING they mean the same.

And then you take the deception, just like Eve did--only she later found out that the serpent decieved her

2 Corinthians 11:3
But I fear, lest somehow, as the serpent deceived Eve by his craftiness, so your minds may be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married

And as usual, you try to take the focus away from the OP.
If you were in the express image of a turtle, what would you look like?

If you are in the express image of God, then just probably God looks like what you look like. Just guessing. Oh, you too are in the image and likeness of God. Wow, I didn't realize that.

So if you think that God is invisible, and just spirit, but Jesus is God's express image, and in fact you are made in his image and likeness, then Jesus and you must be invisible, and just spirit. Is that what you remember Jesus looking like, is that what you look like?

OR

Did Jesus have a compounded body of flesh and bone and spirit, and when resurrected he still had a resurrected perfect immortal body of flesh and bone and spirit.

The latter is way more sensible.

That is why Jesus could say to Phillip: If you see me, you see the Father. Because he looked exactly what the Father looks like and feels like.

Upvote 0

Jamesone5

Supporter
Aug 7, 2019
Basin
✟97,413.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If you were in the express image of a turtle, what would you look like?

If you are in the express image of God, then just probably God looks like what you look like. Just guessing. Oh, you too are in the image and likeness of God. Wow, I didn't realize that.

So if you think that God is invisible, and just spirit, but Jesus is God's express image, and in fact you are made in his image and likeness, then Jesus and you must be invisible, and just spirit. Is that what you remember Jesus looking like, is that what you look like?

OR

Did Jesus have a compounded body of flesh and bone and spirit, and when resurrected he still had a resurrected perfect immortal body of flesh and bone and spirit.

The latter is way more sensible.

That is why Jesus could say to Phillip: If you see me, you see the Father. Because he looked exactly what the Father looks like and feels like.

And you are avoiding the OP because what? You have no more arguments as well?

Read the Hebrew meaning of what express image means and then get back to me.

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Us does not mean Elohims

But you are just ASSUMING it means the same.

And then you take the deception, just like Eve did.
To use the word Elohims would be saying Gods gods. It is the "im" on Eloh that makes Eloh plural, not the "s". Putting an "s" on Elohim would double plural the word Elohim.

Eve was deceived that she would surely not die. But she was not deceived that eating the fruit would make man like God, or as God put it "one of US". Remember, God confirmed that satan told the truth to Eve in this case. Satan is the father of lies, but it does not mean he lies all the time, otherwise nobody would believe a word he says, and his power to deceive would be dimished to zero.

"One of US" means of "US GODS". IOW, A&E would become like the Gods. God also gave the reason, because they knew the difference between good and evil. Ask yourself how knowing the difference between good and evil makes you like God? It is that this knowledge gives you the first step in your way to becoming like God. If you know why and how to be good, and then you believe in Jesus, and Jesus gives you grace, you can become like God.

If you don't know the difference between good and evil, you have no map, no gps and can wander wildly around the earth and never get to know Jesus, let alone believe in him, let alone become like him.

So you will see that members of the Church of Jesus Christ are grateful to A&E for their choice to partake of the fruit so that the knowledge of good and evil came into the world. So that we have a choice to be like God or reject God. I accept God and want to be like Him.

• Informative
Reactions: gentlejah
Upvote 0

Jamesone5

Supporter
Aug 7, 2019
Basin
✟97,413.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
To use the word Elohims would be saying Gods gods. It is the "im" on Eloh that makes Eloh plural, not the "s". Putting an "s" on Elohim would double plural the word Elohim.

Eve was deceived that she would surely not die. But she was not deceived that eating the fruit would make man like God, or as God put it "one of US". Remember, God confirmed that satan told the truth to Eve in this case. Satan is the father of lies, but it does not mean he lies all the time, otherwise nobody would believe a word he says, and his power to deceive would be dimished to zero.

"One of US" means of "US GODS". IOW, A&E would become like the Gods. God also gave the reason, because they knew the difference between good and evil. Ask yourself how knowing the difference between good and evil makes you like God? It is that this knowledge gives you the first step in your way to becoming like God. If you know why and how to be good, and then you believe in Jesus, and Jesus gives you grace, you can become like God.

If you don't know the difference between good and evil, you have no map, no gps and can wander wildly around the earth and never get to know Jesus, let alone believe in him, let alone become like him.

So you will see that members of the Church of Jesus Christ are grateful to A&E for their choice to partake of the fruit so that the knowledge of good and evil came into the world. So that we have a choice to be like God or reject God. I accept God and want to be like Him.

Gods gods? When there is only ONE God?

All the Hebrews who understood their own language disagree with you here--even Moses and David and of course God [not the Gods]

This is fairly close to the transliteration

Compared to

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Us does not mean Elohim----There is not such a word

But you are just ASSUMING they mean the same.

And then you take the deception, just like Eve did--only she later found out that the serpent decieved her

2 Corinthians 11:3
But I fear, lest somehow, as the serpent deceived Eve by his craftiness, so your minds may be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.

OK, you told me what it does not mean, now tell me what "US" means?

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Gods gods? When there is only ONE God?

All the Hebrews who understood their own language disagree with you here--even Moses and David and of course God [not the Gods]

This is fairly close to the transliteration

Compared to

You completely did not answer anything about my response except God gods.

Did you get the "im" is what makes a word "plural" in Hebrew? Not an "s".

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
And you are avoiding the OP because what? You have no more arguments as well?

Read the Hebrew meaning of what express image means and then get back to me.
I have looked on the internet, and the best Hebrew concept would be:
Jesus is the complete revelation of God's person. Jesus Christ is God's very Self revealed.

So if God the Father is in heaven and has given Jesus all the power and authority to create and govern the world, how do we come to know God the Father?

Well, God the Father has sent his Son to the earth to help people get to know Jesus's God and Father (John 20:17). And the way that Jesus can do that is by being in God's express image, IOW his earthly body is revealing the very Person of God Himself. So that if you see Jesus, you in fact are seeing what God the Father is like.

Do you have another Hebrew answer for "express image"?

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others

You guys take way too much for granted with this, for all the statements made are that they had become AS ONE OF THEM, KNOWING GOOD AND EVIL. Read it carefully!!! It does not in any way state they had BECOME ONE OF THEM!! It very clearly says AS on of them in as much as they now knew both good and evil and no longer just good. You read this through the eyes of JS and BY and not through the clear eyes of the Holy Spirit.
There is a huge difference in meaning here. Also of the meaning of being Christlike, which is being God
like---similar in character is not even close to being similar in substance and power and abilities. He is the potter we are the clay---we are clay---God the Father and the Holy Spirit are not clay, never have been, never will be. Jesus is only partially clay after His incarnation. He remains human---yet fully God, as He was God before He was ever human. So, of course, He is still equal to God the Father though He gives the Father all reverence. All we are capable of being---with the help of the Holy Spirit--is to become Christlike in character. It is His character that we must emulate, for we can not enter into His presence without it.

• Winner
Reactions: Jamesone5
Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
You guys take way too much for granted with this, for all the statements made are that they had become AS ONE OF THEM, KNOWING GOOD AND EVIL. Read it carefully!!! It does not in any way state they had BECOME ONE OF THEM!! It very clearly says AS on of them in as much as they now knew both good and evil and no longer just good. You read this through the eyes of JS and BY and not through the clear eyes of the Holy Spirit.
There is a huge difference in meaning here. Also of the meaning of being Christlike, which is being God
like---similar in character is not even close to being similar in substance and power and abilities. He is the potter we are the clay---we are clay---God the Father and the Holy Spirit are not clay, never have been, never will be. Jesus is only partially clay after His incarnation. He remains human---yet fully God, as He was God before He was ever human. So, of course, He is still equal to God the Father though He gives the Father all reverence. All we are capable of being---with the help of the Holy Spirit--is to become Christlike in character. It is His character that we must emulate, for we can not enter into His presence without it.

You are right, at that point in their existence, they had become as one of "us Gods" But they were on their way to becoming just like Jesus who is just like God. How do I know that?

We are heirs of God. What are we heirs of?

And joint heirs with Jesus of all that the Father has. What does the Father have that would be interesting to inherit?

BTW, if your body form is not up to receiving his burning, your character is not going to get you very far.

Upvote 0