Midwest
✟80,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
If all are children of heavenly parents why can't they live with those heavenly parents in the next life?

LDS Key Cannot be Found on Street

“The ordinances of the temple, the endowment and sealings, pertain to exaltation in the celestial kingdom, where the sons and daughters are. The sons and daughters are not outside in some other kingdom. The sons and daughters go into the house, belong to the household, have access to the home. ‘In my Father’s house are many mansions’ [John 14:2]. Sons and daughters have access to the home where he dwells, and you cannot receive that access until you go to the temple. Why? Because you must receive certain key words as well as make covenants by which you are able to enter. If you try to get into the house, and the door is locked, how are you going to enter, if you haven’t your key? You get your key in the temple, which will admit you.“. . . You cannot find a key on the street, for that key is never lost that will open the door that enters into our Father’s mansions. You have got to go where the key is given. And each can obtain the key, if you will; but after receiving it, you may lose it, by having it taken away from you again unless you abide by the agreement which you entered into when you went into the house of the Lord.” -

Joseph Fielding Smith, Doctrines of Salvation, 2:40–41

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
God would not forgive anyone who took the name of His wife in vain. Therefore it is for our own good that her name is not revealed. He will not forgive those who speak against the Holy Ghost either:

(New Testament | Matthew 12:31 - 32)

31 ¶ Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.
32 And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.

Oh, come on! When did "Heavenly Mother" become the Holy Ghost?

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,767.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
God will not allow His wife to be criticized nor should He allow it. There are people who disrespect Him due to their own stupidity.

Well, we're going around in circles aren't we? I already addressed this rationale and don't find it particularly convincing enough to deprive Heavenly Mother of the appropriate worship I think Mormonism warrants she deserves as one of the creators of mankind.

Plus, this rationale only works for as long as her existence was not revealed. Until Joseph Smith, Christians were unaware of a divine Goddess, co-equal with God, who is also our creator. One wonders, with the honour we give to the Saints and the Mother of God, if we had known about this Goddess, what worship we might have given her? Wouldn't the veneration have outweighed any potential danger by exposing her existence?

Mockers are going to scoff no matter what you do, though I find the implication strange that Heavenly Father is hiding his wife's existence to protect her? OR he is protecting us? That is, is criticism of his wife an unpardonable sin? You suggested this earlier, when you compared blaspheming of her to the Holy spirit, yet God didn't feel it necessary to hide the existence of the latter.

To me, all this seems to imply is that Mormon theology as it currently stands does not account for Heavenly Mother in a proper way.

• Winner
Reactions: Tra Phull
Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,767.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Mormon women have been excomunicated for advocating permission to pray to their "Heavenly Mother." I never advocated that.

That to me makes no sense. It's only natural we would want to worship one of our creators.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Well, we're going around in circles aren't we? I already addressed this rationale and don't find it particularly convincing enough to deprive Heavenly Mother of the appropriate worship I think Mormonism warrants she deserves as one of the creators of mankind.

Plus, this rationale only works for as long as her existence was not revealed. Until Joseph Smith, Christians were unaware of a divine Goddess, co-equal with God, who is also our creator. One wonders, with the honour we give to the Saints and the Mother of God, if we had known about this Goddess, what worship we might have given her? Wouldn't the veneration have outweighed any potential danger by exposing her existence?

Mockers are going to scoff no matter what you do, though I find the implication strange that Heavenly Father is hiding his wife's existence to protect her? OR he is protecting us? That is, is criticism of his wife an unpardonable sin? You suggested this earlier, when you compared blaspheming of her to the Holy spirit, yet God didn't feel it necessary to hide the existence of the latter.

To me, all this seems to imply is that Mormon theology as it currently stands does not account for Heavenly Mother in a proper way.
You said: "I find the implication strange that Heavenly Father is hiding his wife's existence to protect her? OR he is protecting us?"

Perhaps both, He is our Father and He has His reasons.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
You said: "I find the implication strange that Heavenly Father is hiding his wife's existence to protect her? OR he is protecting us?"

Any record of Him mentioning her?

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Any record of Him mentioning her?
(Old Testament | Genesis 1:26 - 27)

26 ¶ And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
(Old Testament | Genesis 1:26 - 27)

26 ¶ And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.
I’m missing the part where she is mentioned.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 person
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
"Us" is regarded as quite literally indicating the plural, that is Heavenly Father and Jesus *not* being alone but rather being with others, such as Heavenly Mother.
That’s an argument from silence.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,767.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

But it isn't a good reason, especially now that there is no concealing her existence. Yet you're repeating yourself at this point, probably because you're not allowed to speculate on these matters in order to address the inconsistencies and problems.

Also are you really arguing that Genesis is explicitly talking about Heavenly Mother? Should we Christians have understood this over the last two thousand years or was this only revealed with Joseph Smith?

• Agree
Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
But it isn't a good reason, especially now that there is no concealing her existence. Yet you're repeating yourself at this point, probably because you're not allowed to speculate on these matters in order to address the inconsistencies and problems.

Also are you really arguing that Genesis is explicitly talking about Heavenly Mother? Should we Christians have understood this over the last two thousand years or was this only revealed with Joseph Smith?
It’s hearsay that he even said it.

• Agree
Reactions: drstevej
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married

It was revealed to at least one other who crossed over and came back.

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,767.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
It was revealed to at least one other who crossed over and came back.

Just so we're clear, Christians aren't at fault for missing this interpretation of Genesis are we, at least before Joseph Smith came along? Or should we have seen the truth in pagan religions which had gods and goddesses a plenty?

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
God would not forgive anyone who took the name of His wife in vain. Therefore it is for our own good that her name is not revealed. He will not forgive those who speak against the Holy Ghost either:

(New Testament | Matthew 12:31 - 32)

31 ¶ Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.
32 And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.

Are you suggesting that there is more than one unforgivable sin? Why not make it four unforgivable sins? Father, son, holy ghost and heavenly mother? I think, perhaps, that the real reason he won't tell us her name is because he'd have to tell each of us which of his wives was actually our mother.

Upvote 0