New Zealand
✟24,608.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Christian: There is only one God. (Isaiah 43:11; 44:6, 8; 45:5).
Mormon: "And they (the Gods) said: Let there be light: and there was light." (Book of Abraham 4:3).

Christian: God has always been God. (Psalm 90:2; Isaiah 57:15).
Mormon: "God himself was once as we are now, and is an exalted man, and sits enthroned in yonder heavens!!! . . . We have imagined that God was God from all eternity. I will refute that idea and take away the veil, so that you may see," (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p. 345).

Christian: God is a spirit without flesh and bones. (John 4:24; Luke 24:39).
Mormon: "The Father has a body of flesh and bones as tangible as man's," (Doctrine and Covenants 130:22; Compare with Alma 18:26-27; 22:9-10). "Therefore we know that both the Father and the Son are in form and stature perfect men; each of them possesses a tangible body . . . of flesh and bones," (Articles of Faith, by James Talmage, p. 38).

Christian: The Trinity is the doctrine that there is only one God in all the universe, and that He exists in three eternal, simultaneous persons: The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.
Mormon: The trinity is three separate Gods: The Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost. "That these three are separate individuals, physically distinct from each other, is demonstrated by the accepted records of divine dealings with man," (Articles of Faith, by James Talmage, p. 35).

Christian: Jesus was born of the virgin Mary. (Isaiah 7:14; Matt. 1:23).
Mormon: "The birth of the Saviour was as natural as are the births of our children; it was the result of natural action. He partook of flesh and blood--was begotten of his Father, as we were of our fathers," (Journal of Discourses, vol. 8, p. 115). "Christ was begotten by an Immortal Father in the same way that mortal men are begotten by mortal fathers" (Mormon Doctrine, by Bruce McConkie, p. 547).

Christian: Jesus is the eternal Son. He is second person of the Trinity. He has two natures. He is God in flesh and man (John 1:1, 14; Col. 2;9) and the creator of all things (Col. 1:15-17).
Mormon: Jesus is the literal spirit-brother of Lucifer, a creation (Gospel Through the Ages, p. 15).

Christian: The Holy Spirit is the third person of the Trinity. He is not a force. He is a person. (Acts 5:3-4; 13:2)
Mormon: Mormonism distinguishes between the Holy Spirit (God's presence via an essence) and the Holy Ghost (the third god in the Mormon doctrine of the trinity).

Christian: Salvation is the forgiveness of sin and deliverance of the sinner from damnation. It is a free gift received by God's grace (Eph. 2:8; Rom. 6:23) and cannot be earned. (Rom. 11:6).
Mormon: Salvation has a double meaning in Mormonism: universal resurrection and . . . "The first effect [of the atonement] is to secure to all mankind alike, exemption from the penalty of the fall, thus providing a plan of General Salvation. The second effect is to open a way for Individual Salvation whereby mankind may secure remission of personal sins," (Articles of Faith, by James Talmage, p. 78-79).

Christian: Salvation (forgiveness of sins) is not by works. (Eph. 2:8; Rom. 4:5; Gal. 2:21).
Mormon: "As these sins are the result of individual acts it is just that forgiveness for them should be conditioned on individual compliance with prescribed requirements--'obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel,'" (Articles of Faith, p. 79).

Christian: The Bible is the inspired inerrant word of God (2 Tim. 3:16). It is authoritative in all subjects it addresses.
Mormon: "We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly. . ." (8th Article of Faith of the Mormon Church).

frienden thalord

Apr 9, 2017
texas
✟59,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Iron hold , before he does all that.
is any of it true , might be a good question to ask and have answered.
Why cantwe just keep it simple and follow Christ only.
CHRIST is the treasure that has kept me safe . His sayings are the upmost of beauty.
To all churches I make this call and challenge.
RETURN to the FIRST love , make the focus on JESUS and HIS SAYINGS
follow the pattern he taught and the apostels taught.
I point to no man, but to CHRIST shall I point all the day long.
ON the day of judgment , it wont matter what we thought we knew
what will matter is WHAT IS TRUE. AND JESUS and HIS SAYINGS , THEY ARE.
HE is all I can point too. Churches have fallen bad now.
OH , their are probably some still out their, but for the most part true doctrine
has long been abaonded. Since men nor man can save us
WHY NOT JUST FOCUS ON THE ONE WHO CAN. JESUS and HIS SAYINGS.

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
Christian: There is only one God. (Isaiah 43:11; 44:6, 8; 45:5).
Mormon: "And they (the Gods) said: Let there be light: and there was light." (Book of Abraham 4:3).
Bible: " Let us make man in our image, after our likeness' (Gen 1:26)
Bible: "Behold, the man is become as one of us" (Gen 3:22)

Do you have a point here?

Let's finish talking about this first one first, before moving on to the rest.

Reactions: Ironhold
Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
Iron hold , before he does all that.
is any of it true , might be a good question to ask and have answered.

I'd like to know who he's getting this material from first.

And as you can see below, Jane's starting to answer this while I work on other threads he's started. I'll have to get back to this one later.

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
I'd like to know who he's getting this material from first.

And as you can see below, Jane's starting to answer this while I work on other threads he's started. I'll have to get back to this one later.
There's no point addressing further until Kiwi both:
1) says where he/she is copy/pasting from
2) addresses the first of these comments.

Upvote 0

Sanoy

Apr 27, 2017
America
✟118,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm pretty sure I recognize this list as coming off of another website.

Please be so kind as to cite the website you've pulled this from. We can go from there.

The OP cited what was quoted. Example:
Mormon Doctrine, by Bruce McConkie, p. 547
Articles of Faith, by James Talmage, p. 38
Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p. 345
8th Article of Faith of the Mormon Church

Upvote 0

NYCGuy

Mar 9, 2011
New York
✟33,519.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Bible: " Let us make man in our image, after our likeness' (Gen 1:26)
Bible: "Behold, the man is become as one of us" (Gen 3:22)

Do you have a point here?

Let's finish talking about this first one first, before moving on to the rest.

So are the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost not only three Persons, but three Gods?

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
The question was for the larger part of the OP.
Not canon at all.
Not scripture.
The one is actual scripture (from the LDS perspective). However, like rest of the arguments on the original post it's being used for a false argument.

From the OP---
"Christian: The Bible is the inspired inerrant word of God (2 Tim. 3:16). It is authoritative in all subjects it addresses.
Mormon: "We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly. . ." (8th Article of Faith of the Mormon Church)."

Correct statement:
LDS Christians and other Christians believe that eh Bible is the word of God, given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness (2 Tim. 3:16). It is extremely important to have a correct translation of it, and shoddy translations are not accepted.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single

Whenever you see someone bust out a list like that, odds are they copied & pasted the whole assemblage from another website.

That's what I'm asking about: what website he copied & pasted the assemblage from.

It's actually plagiarism to copy & paste like that without citing the original source. Not only does basic netiquette frown on this as a result, individual internet forums have gone so far as to declare it to be against their rules of conduct lest the original author come back and get on the site admins for letting the plagiarized material stand.

Upvote 0

Sanoy

Apr 27, 2017
America
✟118,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Whenever you see someone bust out a list like that, odds are they copied & pasted the whole assemblage from another website.

That's what I'm asking about: what website he copied & pasted the assemblage from.

It's actually plagiarism to copy & paste like that without citing the original source. Not only does basic netiquette frown on this as a result, individual internet forums have gone so far as to declare it to be against their rules of conduct lest the original author come back and get on the site admins for letting the plagiarized material stand.
I have never heard of this netiquette. There are likely 100s of sites and thousands of people who have quoted those primary sources. It might even be from multiple sites. I can't imagine why it matters which site or sites the OP did his c/p business on. It is the least important thing on this thread. The only reason to quote a site here is if unique content is being taken from that site.

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
I have never heard of this netiquette. There are likely 100s of sites and thousands of people who have quoted those primary sources. It might even be from multiple sites. I can't imagine why it matters which site or sites the OP did his c/p business on. It is the least important thing on this thread.
It matters because plagiarism (aka stealing) is illegal and unethical.

For example, this thread (LDS - Question for mormons), and this thread (LDS - Book of mormon false language) are both blatant copy-paste-plagerism from copyrighted material. It is very wrong and illegal, and opens CF to a slew of trouble.

Upvote 0

Sanoy

Apr 27, 2017
America
✟118,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sanoy

Apr 27, 2017
America
✟118,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I just posted two examples.
in this thread. Site and quote.

If OP is quoting unique site content then it's wrong. OP points withstanding. If he is just using it to C/P original source work that the site is using then who cares.

Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
What unique content did the OP steal?

In the two threads mentioned, Kiwi literally copied material from someone else's website and pasted them here without proper attribution.

Had he left a link noting the source, it would have been OK. But no link makes it plagiarism, which is the issue.

I've been online for nearly 20 years now, and so I've seen this kind of thing play out again and again.

Upvote 0

Sanoy

Apr 27, 2017
America
✟118,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In the two threads mentioned, Kiwi literally copied material from someone else's website and pasted them here without proper attribution.
Unique material authored by that site? If that is the case it's wrong but if OP is using a site to c/p external quotes it's completely normal for a forum post.

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
Unique material authored by that site?
Yes, and officially copyrighted. (Note: site or book or other material). In one thread it was over 1100 words, blatantly copy/paste without citation.
If that is the case it's wrong
Yes it is.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.