Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
I stopped to help a elderly couple on the side of the road the other day as they had a flat. As I was helping them, I mentioned I was on my way to church and what a beautiful the Lord had blessed us with and he stated, that he couldn't go to church because he was always ask to leave, because he always started arguments during service. I said why do you do that?
He said that he was "LDS" and that he was a "priest in the order of Melchizedek" and that he always proved others to be wrong in their faith. To make a long story short, I was flabbergasted that someone could think this way? Does all Mormon priest believe this?
BTW, I didn't give him 10% etheir.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I doubt it.

If I understand correctly, he was saying that although he was an official in the LDS, he had taken it upon himself, at least occasionally, to go to other churches simply in order to argue with them in the middle of the service itself. I haven't heard of Mormon clergy doing that before.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 person
Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No, they do not think like this, and that particular person sounds like a jerk, which are to be found in all denominations and groupings of people - sadly.
BTW, I didn't give him 10% either
I'm not following what this means. I know LDS give 10% as part of their theology, but I fail to see what it means in this context.

Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
I doubt it.

If I understand correctly, he was saying that although he was an official in the LDS, he had taken it upon himself, at least occasionally, to go to other churches simply in order to argue with them in the middle of the service itself.
Yes and he said he priest . I don't know anything about the Mormon faith but that would seem to be a VERY high ranking priest to me. lol

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes and he said he priest . I don't know anything about the Mormon faith but that would seem to be a VERY high ranking priest to me. lol
Not really, many (most?) men that are active in the LDS Church eventually become a Priest in the Melchizedek priesthood. It is more or less the next step after the Aaronic Priesthood, which is for men/boys aged 12- 18 and new converts.
Moses gave him 10% :]
Oh! Yes, I get it now. Thanks :)

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If he said he were a Bishop or a Stake President it would mean a lot more in this context, but I doubt anyone in those positions would act like this man at other churches.

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
He said that he was "LDS" and that he was a "priest in the order of Melchizedek" and that he always proved others to be wrong in their faith.
That starting arguments is very rude of him.
To make a long story short, I was flabbergasted that someone could think this way? Does all Mormon priest believe this?
No, rather we believe in being respectful of other faiths and your right to worship-- it's actually so important it's our 11th Article of Faith (Articles of Faith 1).

Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Well, priest would be correct, but at the most it is on the level of one of the ministers in a congregation, not an officer of the national church or something like that.

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
Not really, many (most?) men that are active in the LDS Church eventually become a Priest in the Melchizedek priesthood.
Correct- it's extremely rare to find an adult LDS man who isn't a priest like the OP described. The only reason for that would be something like if they walked away from the faith when they were a youth.

• Informative
Reactions: tampasteve
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
I stopped to help a elderly couple on the side of the road the other day as they had a flat. As I was helping them, I mentioned I was on my way to church and what a beautiful the Lord had blessed us with and he stated, that he couldn't go to church because he was always ask to leave, because he always started arguments during service. I said why do you do that?
He said that he was "LDS" and that he was a "priest in the order of Melchizedek" and that he always proved others to be wrong in their faith. To make a long story short, I was flabbergasted that someone could think this way? Does all Mormon priest believe this?
BTW, I didn't give him 10% etheir.
You ought to visit a Mormon church.

Reactions: tampasteve
Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

No, he didn't have to be high ranking. Most of the men hold the Melchizedek Priesthood.

He sounds a little off like my ex-brother-in-law who didn't hold the priesthood, but had been a Mormon all his life. He like to tell people that they should become Mormons.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
If he wants to learn about Mormons, perhaps the best way to go about it is to get to know some Mormons.
Are you kidding? If he wants to know about Mormonism, he should study the religion at lds.org. Knowing Mormons is hardly different than knowing other people on earth. There are fantastically nice Mormons and other kinds of Mormons.

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
Are you kidding? If he wants to know about Mormonism, he should study the religion at lds.org. Knowing Mormons is hardly different than knowing other people on earth. There are fantastically nice Mormons and other kinds of Mormons.
Having someone explain their faith to you is always the best way to get to know what they believe. Just reading materials yourself is good, but you can run into understanding errors super easy.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why not? I've been to mosques, Buddhist and Hindu temples and Jewish synagogues, each one is special in it's own way. There is no better way to appreciate and understand someone's faith than to actually watch it in action. Reading something and experiencing it are different aspects of understanding someone on more than an academic level.

Upvote 0