May 1, 2010
✟72,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
I. Do. Believe. The. Bible. Every. Word.

I've said this a million times now.
Why do you contradict it then?
:amen:
Lets see if the claim of believing every word is true or not, for example:
Biblical Christianity teaches:
Ephesians 2:8-9 We are saved by grace alone through faith alone in Jesus alone
Hebrews 10:18 salvation is free and full in Jesus. No more requirements can be made.
Romans 3:23 no person can be declared innocent by observing the law
Ephesians 2:1 people by nature are spiritually dead
Genesis 8:21 people by nature are thoroughly evil
Romans 3:10-12 no one can seek God or do any good by nature.
Psalms 14:1-3 All are corrupt, their deeds are vile; there is no one who does good.
Isaiah 64:6 all our righteous acts are like filthy rags
Luke 20:35-36 there is no marriage in heaven​

Romans 3:19 there is no age of accountability​

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
Talking in circles doesn't answer anything.

You say the translations of the bible can only be trusted - as far as translated correctly, you refuse to give ANY reference (except the NWT which doesn't count AT ALL as it was produced 120 years AFTER Joseph Smith said that)

You can't even give a single bible verse or real translation, and funnily enough the LDS church use the KJV which has plenty of word translation errors in it so I fail to understand what Joseph Smith was even on about when he said this, if it was translation that was so important and he was a seer and prophet of God surely he would have been able to see the errors in the KJV ("thou shalt not suffer a witch to live" off the top of my head). He at least shouldn't have copied them into the Book of Mormon.

All that being said, innocent single word translation or language errors in a translation hardly make said bible translation unreliable enough to put a caveat on how much to trust it in the LDS statement of beliefs. (just to be clear there is nothing innocent about the additional letters/words inserted into the NWT) But I'm getting sidetracked.

The Dead Sea scrolls prove we still have the original language and translations of the books in the bible.

Do you accept an interlinear translation of the Dead Sea scrolls as the credible, infallible, word of God?
Or do you think there is something wrong with that translation as well?
Here, I'll say this very straight forward, starting from the basics:

Translation is defined as the art of taking words from one language/culture/place/time and converting them into another so that that group may understand them. It is a complex and imperfect art, as many concepts simply do not exist or have words in another language/culture/place/time. Hence the need for high quality translators. This need existed in in 1621, 1821, 1921, etc. LDS acknowledge this need, hence the statement highlighting it's importance.

None of the above has anything to do with insulting the Bible, it's position as the word of God, etc.

The Dead Sea Scrolls are great archeological find, but are not written in 21st century English, and hence don't apply to the discussion about translating things into other languages.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟426,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Translation is defined as the art of taking words from one language/culture/place/time and converting them into another so that that group may understand them.

The Dead Sea Scrolls are great archeological find, but are not written in 21st century English, and hence don't apply to the discussion about translating things into other languages.

What?

Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Politically Liberal Christian Fundamentalist
Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,242.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Anyone is allowed to attend church services at a LDS church, however the temple is the Lord's house. Not everyone is allowed to go there:

(New Testament | Acts 21:28)

28 Crying out, Men of Israel, help: This is the man, that teacheth all men every where against the people, and the law, and this place: and further brought Greeks also into the temple, and hath polluted this holy place.

(New Testament | John 2:13 - 17)

13 ¶ And the Jews' passover was at hand, and Jesus went up to Jerusalem,
14 And found in the temple those that sold oxen and sheep and doves, and the changers of money sitting:
15 And when he had made a scourge of small cords, he drove them all out of the temple, and the sheep, and the oxen; and poured out the changers' money, and overthrew the tables;
16 And said unto them that sold doves, Take these things hence; make not my Father's house an house of merchandise.
17 And his disciples remembered that it was written, The zeal of thine house hath eaten me up.
As soon as Christ died the temples were rendered useless as evidenced by the tearing of the curtain:
Matthew 27:51
And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent;

With the coming of the Holy Spirit to indwell believers the Temples of God are the believers themselves:
1 Cor. 6:19
What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?

Apparently, Mormonism teaches that Temples are buildings instead of believers. This goes against God's Word, the Bible.

But back to the topic of this thread: It doesn't matter that mormons allow anyone into their chapels, the fact remains that they do not permit anyone other than a few select people into their temples. There is absolutely no Christian basis for this kind of discrimination whatsoever. It is, in fact, anti-Christian.

James 2
9 But if you show favoritism, you sin and are convicted by the law as lawbreakers.
10 For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it.
11 For he who said, “You shall not commit adultery,”b also said, “You shall not murder.”c If you do not commit adultery but do commit murder, you have become a lawbreaker.
12 Speak and act as those who are going to be judged by the law that gives freedom,
13 because judgment without mercy will be shown to anyone who has not been merciful. Mercy triumphs over judgment.

What is the mormon religion doing when they discriminate and tell people "NO you are NOT ALLOWED in our temple for you are not deemed WORTHY in our eyes!"

They are breaking the commandment of the Lord. Which mormon is not stumbling at even ONE point of the law that he can pass this judgment on others and tell them they are not permitted into their house of worship? Can you name one mormon who is sinless?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
:amen:
Lets see if the claim of believing every word is true or not, for example:
Ephesians 2:8-9 We are saved by grace alone through faith alone in Jesus alone
What the scripture really states:

(New Testament | Ephesians 2:8)

8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

So saved by grace through faith neither of them alone. I would say that it is necessary to have living faith, not dead faith:

(New Testament | James 2:17 - 26)

17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.
18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.
19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.
20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?
21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?
22 Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?
23 And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.
24 Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.
25 Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and had sent them out another way?
26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

So they got it wrong. Although we are not saved by works, neither are we saved without works.

Upvote 0

drstevej

"The crowd always chooses Barabbas."
In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hew is the Way...

James 2 is justification before men not God.
We can not see a heart so we can only judge by the vital signs of works.

18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.

CONTEXT MATTERS.

Try again.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
As soon as Christ died the temples were rendered useless as evidenced by the tearing of the curtain:
Matthew 27:51
And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent;

With the coming of the Holy Spirit to indwell believers the Temples of God are the believers themselves:
1 Cor. 6:19
What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?

Apparently, Mormonism teaches that Temples are buildings instead of believers. This goes against God's Word, the Bible.

But back to the topic of this thread: It doesn't matter that mormons allow anyone into their chapels, the fact remains that they do not permit anyone other than a few select people into their temples. There is absolutely no Christian basis for this kind of discrimination whatsoever. It is, in fact, anti-Christian.

James 2
9 But if you show favoritism, you sin and are convicted by the law as lawbreakers.
10 For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it.
11 For he who said, “You shall not commit adultery,”b also said, “You shall not murder.”c If you do not commit adultery but do commit murder, you have become a lawbreaker.
12 Speak and act as those who are going to be judged by the law that gives freedom,
13 because judgment without mercy will be shown to anyone who has not been merciful. Mercy triumphs over judgment.

What is the mormon religion doing when they discriminate and tell people "NO you are NOT ALLOWED in our temple for you are not deemed WORTHY in our eyes!"

They are breaking the commandment of the Lord. Which mormon is not stumbling at even ONE point of the law that he can pass this judgment on others and tell them they are not permitted into their house of worship? Can you name one mormon who is sinless?
There is one member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Later Day Saints that is sinless and that is Jesus Christ. Were there NO restrictions in the Bible? What about this:

(Old Testament | Deuteronomy 23:2 - 3)

2 A bastard shall not enter into the congregation of the LORD; even to his tenth generation shall he not enter into the congregation of the LORD.
3 An Ammonite or Moabite shall not enter into the congregation of the LORD; even to their tenth generation shall they not enter into the congregation of the LORD for ever:

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Hew is the Way...

James 2 is justification before men not God.
We can not see a heart so we can only judge by the vital signs of works.

CONTEXT MATTERS.

Try again.
Faith without works is dead.Cherry picking will not help you.

Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Politically Liberal Christian Fundamentalist
Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,242.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
There is one member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Later Day Saints that is sinless and that is Jesus Christ. Were there NO restrictions in the Bible? What about this:

(Old Testament | Deuteronomy 23:2 - 3)

2 A bastard shall not enter into the congregation of the LORD; even to his tenth generation shall he not enter into the congregation of the LORD.
3 An Ammonite or Moabite shall not enter into the congregation of the LORD; even to their tenth generation shall they not enter into the congregation of the LORD for ever:
You addressed one part of my post out of the context of my post. You just blatantly skipped addressing the part of my post where I showed from God's Word that the Jewish Temple no longer has a function and never had a function for Christians. There is no "Temple" for Christians other than our bodies which the Holy Spirit indwells.

Does your religion teach that the body is not the temple of the Holy Spirit? Is it that you believe the Holy Spirit is not the One True God?

The Jewish Temple existed prior to Grace. Grace brought Christianity. Christianity is based entirely on Grace. Any religion that teaches there is a Jewish-style "temple" where religious discrimination is necessary is not a Christian religion. Mormonism is not a Christian religion. Mormonism is, in fact, an anti-Christian religion. Mormonism goes against the most central tenet of Christianity which is God's Perfect, Standalone Grace.

• Agree
Reactions: RoseCrystal
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

drstevej

"The crowd always chooses Barabbas."
In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
You addressed one part of my post out of the context of my post. You just blatantly skipped addressing the part of my post where I showed from God's Word that the Jewish Temple no longer has a function and never had a function for Christians. There is no "Temple" for Christians other than our bodies which the Holy Spirit indwells.

Does your religion teach that the body is not the temple of the Holy Spirit? Is it that you believe the Holy Spirit is not the One True God?

The Jewish Temple existed prior to Grace. Grace brought Christianity. Christianity is based entirely on Grace. Any religion that teaches there is a Jewish-style "temple" where religious discrimination is necessary is not a Christian religion. Mormonism is not a Christian religion. Mormonism is, in fact, an anti-Christian religion. Mormonism goes against the most central tenet of Christianity which is God's Perfect, Standalone Grace.
There was too much to address at one time. So lets pay attention to this part:

(New Testament | 1 Corinthians 3:13 - 23)

13 Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is.
14 If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward.
15 If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.
16 Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?
17 If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.
18 Let no man deceive himself. If any man among you seemeth to be wise in this world, let him become a fool, that he may be wise.
19 For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, He taketh the wise in their own craftiness.
20 And again, The Lord knoweth the thoughts of the wise, that they are vain.
21 Therefore let no man glory in men. For all things are yours;
22 Whether Paul, or Apollos, or Cephas, or the world, or life, or death, or things present, or things to come; all are yours;
23 And ye are Christ's; and Christ is God's.

(New Testament | 1 Corinthians 6:14 - 20)

14 And God hath both raised up the Lord, and will also raise up us by his own power.
15 Know ye not that your bodies are the members of Christ? shall I then take the members of Christ, and make them the members of an harlot? God forbid.
16 What? know ye not that he which is joined to an harlot is one body? for two, saith he, shall be one flesh.
17 But he that is joined unto the Lord is one spirit.
18 Flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he that committeth fornication sinneth against his own body.
19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?
20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

(New Testament | 2 Corinthians 6:16 - 18)

16 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you,
18 And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.

Not one of these scriptures states that there will be no buildings called temples. In fact we know that there will be another temple because it is mentioned in the Bible:

(New Testament | Revelation 7:15)

15 Therefore are they before the throne of God, and serve him day and night in his temple: and he that sitteth on the throne shall dwell among them.

(New Testament | Revelation 11:1 - 2)

1 AND there was given me a reed like unto a rod: and the angel stood, saying, Rise, and measure the temple of God, and the altar, and them that worship therein.
2 But the court which is without the temple leave out, and measure it not; for it is given unto the Gentiles: and the holy city shall they tread under foot forty and two months.

In fact there are many temples on the earth today.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
I just taught through the Book of James and it isn't the first time. Joseph Smith butchered Romans 8:29-30.
Let's look at the Bible and you tell me which is correct:

(Old Testament | Numbers 23:19)

19 God is not a man, that he should lie; neither the son of man, that he should repent: hath he said, and shall he not do it? or hath he spoken, and shall he not make it good?

(Old Testament | 1 Chronicles 21:15)

15 And God sent an angel unto Jerusalem to destroy it: and as he was destroying, the LORD beheld, and he repented him of the evil, and said to the angel that destroyed, It is enough, stay now thine hand. And the angel of the LORD stood by the threshingfloor of Ornan the Jebusite.

(JST | 1 Chronicles 21:15)

15. And God sent an angel unto Jerusalem to destroy it. And the angel stretched forth his hand unto Jerusalem to destroy it; and God said to the angel, Stay now thine hand, it is enough; for as he was destroying, the Lord beheld Israel, that he repented him of the evil; therefore the Lord stayed the angel that destroyed, as he stood by the threshing_floor of Ornan, the Jebusite.

Which of these last two verses disagrees with the first verse?

Upvote 0

RoseCrystal

Supporter
Jun 10, 2018
Australia
✟294,530.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
(JST | 1 Chronicles 21:15)

15. And God sent an angel unto Jerusalem to destroy it. And the angel stretched forth his hand unto Jerusalem to destroy it; and God said to the angel, Stay now thine hand, it is enough; for as he was destroying, the Lord beheld Israel, that he repented him of the evil; therefore the Lord stayed the angel that destroyed, as he stood by the threshing_floor of Ornan, the Jebusite.

I find it extremely hard to take anything in the JST seriously, in the JST Genesis 50:30-33 he foretells his own 'raising up' as a seer that will destroy false doctrine. Pretty egotistical. Its very hard to swallow as a true 'inspired' translation of the bible, especially when you consider Genesis ends at 50:26 and is clearly not about Jospeh Smith.

So I really don't think using the JST to try and prove or disprove verses in the Holy Bible is going to have much of an effect on any Christian.

JST Genesis 50:30-33

30 And again, a seer will I raise up out of the fruit of thy loins, and unto him will I give power to bring forth my word unto the seed of thy loins; and not to the bringing forth of my word only, saith the Lord, but to the convincing them of my word, which shall have already gone forth among them in the last days;

31 Wherefore the fruit of thy loins shall write, and the fruit of the loins of Judah shall write; and that which shall be written by the fruit of thy loins, and also that which shall be written by the fruit of the loins of Judah, shall grow together unto the confounding of false doctrines, and laying down of contentions, and establishing peace among the fruit of thy loins, and bringing them to a knowledge of their fathers in the latter days; and also to the knowledge of my covenants, saith the Lord.

32 And out of weakness shall he be made strong, in that day when my work shall go forth among all my people, which shall restore them, who are of the house of Israel, in the last days.

33 And that seer will I bless, and they that seek to destroy him shall be confounded; for this promise I give unto you; for I will remember you from generation to generation; and his name shall be called Joseph, and it shall be after the name of his father; and he shall be like unto you; for the thing which the Lord shall bring forth by his hand shall bring my people unto salvation.

LDS.org

• Informative
Reactions: 1 person
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
I find it extremely hard to take anything in the JST seriously, in the JST Genesis 50:30-33 he foretells his own 'raising up' as a seer that will destroy false doctrine. Pretty egotistical. Its very hard to swallow as a true 'inspired' translation of the bible, especially when you consider Genesis ends at 50:26 and is clearly not about Jospeh Smith.

So I really don't think using the JST to try and prove or disprove verses in the Holy Bible is going to have much of an effect on any Christian.

JST Genesis 50:30-33

30 And again, a seer will I raise up out of the fruit of thy loins, and unto him will I give power to bring forth my word unto the seed of thy loins; and not to the bringing forth of my word only, saith the Lord, but to the convincing them of my word, which shall have already gone forth among them in the last days;

31 Wherefore the fruit of thy loins shall write, and the fruit of the loins of Judah shall write; and that which shall be written by the fruit of thy loins, and also that which shall be written by the fruit of the loins of Judah, shall grow together unto the confounding of false doctrines, and laying down of contentions, and establishing peace among the fruit of thy loins, and bringing them to a knowledge of their fathers in the latter days; and also to the knowledge of my covenants, saith the Lord.

32 And out of weakness shall he be made strong, in that day when my work shall go forth among all my people, which shall restore them, who are of the house of Israel, in the last days.

33 And that seer will I bless, and they that seek to destroy him shall be confounded; for this promise I give unto you; for I will remember you from generation to generation; and his name shall be called Joseph, and it shall be after the name of his father; and he shall be like unto you; for the thing which the Lord shall bring forth by his hand shall bring my people unto salvation.

LDS.org
Well it has come to pass and many people have been blessed through the Book of Mormon and having a better understanding of God and LOVE through the prophet Joseph Smith. Millions of lives have been blessed by living correct principals.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟78,639.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Proverbs 14
12There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death.

John 10
1 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door into the sheepfold, but climbeth up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber. 2 But he that entereth in by the door is the shepherd of the sheep. 3 To him the porter openeth; and the sheep hear his voice: and he calleth his own sheep by name, and leadeth them out. 4 And when he putteth forth his own sheep, he goeth before them, and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice. 5 And a stranger will they not follow, but will flee from him: for they know not the voice of strangers. 6 This parable spake Jesus unto them: but they understood not what things they were which he spake unto them.

Galatians 1
6 I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel: 7 Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ. 8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed. 9 As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟426,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
What a worthy post from our friend Phoebe Ann! God-denying blasphemies like Mormonism do not bless people. It's the religious equivalent of a sugar pill. It may seem to be right by man, but it is not.

Upvote 0

RoseCrystal

Supporter
Jun 10, 2018
Australia
✟294,530.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Well it has come to pass and many people have been blessed through the Book of Mormon and having a better understanding of God and LOVE through the prophet Joseph Smith. Millions of lives have been blessed by living correct principals.
Millions of lives have been ruined by the beliefs, rules and restrictions of the LDS church

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Millions of lives have been ruined by the beliefs, rules and restrictions of the LDS church
Actually millions have learned to LOVE Jesus Christ by keeping the commandments:

(New Testament | John 14:15)

15 ¶ If ye love me, keep my commandments.

(Doctrine and Covenants | Section 42:28 - 29)

28 Thou knowest my laws concerning these things are given in my scriptures; he that sinneth and repenteth not shall be cast out.
29 If thou lovest me thou shalt serve me and keep all my commandments.

(Doctrine and Covenants | Section 46:8 - 9)

8 Wherefore, beware lest ye are deceived; and that ye may not be deceived seek ye earnestly the best gifts, always remembering for what they are given;
9 For verily I say unto you, they are given for the benefit of those who love me and keep all my commandments, and him that seeketh so to do; that all may be benefited that seek or that ask of me, that ask and not for a sign that they may consume it upon their lusts.

(Old Testament | Ecclesiastes 12:13 - 14)

13 ¶ Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14 For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.

Upvote 0