Indianapolis
✟7,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
We know your charts are not based on facts and are very biased.

It is only by faith. Salvation by works is NOT what the bible teaches. That is what the Jews thought in the old testament but Jesus said to his disciples that they are saved by faith. The criminal who was to the left of Jesus on the cross asked him, "'Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.' And he said to him, 'Truly, I say to you, today you will be with me in Paradise'" (Luke 23 v. 42-43).

The idea that salvation is by making God like you is not biblical in any way, shape, or form. I have a friend who says he is a mormon and he has some wild ideas about baptism and who God is. I am sure there are honest believers in Christ in LDS but their basic theology is so backwards it amazes me.

Upvote 0

SeanMonty

May 22, 2019
Indianapolis
✟7,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
He could not be fully God until he went through the same process that his God and his Father went through.
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God" (John 1:1)
"Before Abraham was, I am" (John 8:58).
This is why. It is a difficult concept to understand, and Jesus never directly says it, but he had the same spirit and power as God, because he was and is God. He is not the Father, however. He is 100% man because he had the same temptations as man and Satan tempted him in the desert for forty days. Jesus cried when Lazarus died. He felt pain and misery, joy and wonder. Everything he felt, we feel and he will feel because he lived a perfect life. It wasn't that Jesus became man to understand us, it was so that Jesus would be able to die. He had to have a body to die for us. "The wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord" (Romans 6:23). He even pleaded with God before the soldiers came to deliver him that the Father would keep this from happening. He didn't want to die, but he knew he had to.

The biblical evidence for Jesus's Godness and humanness is insurmountable, because it is all over the Bible. The whole Bible is about Jesus and the Gospel. If anything, take this: God's word is true, and anything else beyond it is not God's word. The book of mormon is not God's word.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 person
Upvote 0

SeanMonty

May 22, 2019
Indianapolis
✟7,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Not a merit badge, but a process. Learning obedience (Hebrews 5:8), completing his mission to be perfect (Luke 13:32, Hebrews 2:10) so he could then make us perfect like him (Hebrews 5:9).

You are just picking out pieces of verses to fit your false Gospel. He replaces the priests of the temple. It is not that he ascends some holy ladder to become the priest, but that he was already perfect and God is going along his plan. God was just setting his plan into place. He was and is and will be an omnipotent God who knows everything that happens ever.

• Winner
Reactions: 1 person
Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
It is only by faith. Salvation by works is NOT what the bible teaches. That is what the Jews thought in the old testament but Jesus said to his disciples that they are saved by faith. The criminal who was to the left of Jesus on the cross asked him, "'Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.' And he said to him, 'Truly, I say to you, today you will be with me in Paradise'" (Luke 23 v. 42-43).

The idea that salvation is by making God like you is not biblical in any way, shape, or form. I have a friend who says he is a mormon and he has some wild ideas about baptism and who God is. I am sure there are honest believers in Christ in LDS but their basic theology is so backwards it amazes me.
The gospel of Jesus Christ is not only about grace, that is only part of it. It is also about faith, hope, repentance, charity, LOVE, works, baptism, the sacrament, the gift of the Holy Ghost, enduring to the end, keeping the commandments, etc.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God" (John 1:1)
"Before Abraham was, I am" (John 8:58).
This is why. It is a difficult concept to understand, and Jesus never directly says it, but he had the same spirit and power as God, because he was and is God. He is not the Father, however. He is 100% man because he had the same temptations as man and Satan tempted him in the desert for forty days. Jesus cried when Lazarus died. He felt pain and misery, joy and wonder. Everything he felt, we feel and he will feel because he lived a perfect life. It wasn't that Jesus became man to understand us, it was so that Jesus would be able to die. He had to have a body to die for us. "The wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord" (Romans 6:23). He even pleaded with God before the soldiers came to deliver him that the Father would keep this from happening. He didn't want to die, but he knew he had to.

The biblical evidence for Jesus's Godness and humanness is insurmountable, because it is all over the Bible. The whole Bible is about Jesus and the Gospel. If anything, take this: God's word is true, and anything else beyond it is not God's word. The book of mormon is not God's word.
Just saying that the Book of Mormon is not God's word does not make it so.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
You are just picking out pieces of verses to fit your false Gospel. He replaces the priests of the temple. It is not that he ascends some holy ladder to become the priest, but that he was already perfect and God is going along his plan. God was just setting his plan into place. He was and is and will be an omnipotent God who knows everything that happens ever.
Jesus Christ was perfected:
(New Testament | Luke 13:32)

32 And he said unto them, Go ye, and tell that fox, Behold, I cast out devils, and I do cures to day and to morrow, and the third day I shall be perfected.

Upvote 0

twin.spin

Trust the LORD and not on your own understanding
May 1, 2010
✟72,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
The differences are many. The basics are:
1)
Biblical Christianity: It is through faith alone that we are credited Jesus' righteousness. His work's, worthiness and perfection is ours guaranteed. Jesus then is our substitute.

Mormonism: Jesus is not a substitute but an "examplar" … an example of how to do it.
One must prove our own worthiness and perfection.

Mormonism: Jesus is the literal son of the Father. He earned his way to godhood in the pre-existence, before he came to earth.

Mormonism: emphasizes that God gave us a plan of salvation. This puts the spotlight on human effort because people need to work the plan in order to progress.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
The differences are many. The basics are:
1)
Biblical Christianity: It is through faith alone that we are credited Jesus' righteousness. His work's, worthiness and perfection is ours guaranteed. Jesus then is our substitute.

Mormonism: Jesus is not a substitute but an "examplar" … an example of how to do it.
One must prove our own worthiness and perfection.

(Old Testament | Exodus 16:4)

4 ¶ Then said the LORD unto Moses, Behold, I will rain bread from heaven for you; and the people shall go out and gather a certain rate every day, that I may prove them, whether they will walk in my law, or no.

(Old Testament | Exodus 20:20)

20 And Moses said unto the people, Fear not: for God is come to prove you, and that his fear may be before your faces, that ye sin not.

(New Testament | James 1:12 - 15)

12 Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him.
13 Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:
14 But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.
15 Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.

2)
Biblical Christianity: Jesus is God, one with the Father and the Holy Ghost.

Mormonism: Jesus is the literal son of the Father. He earned his way to godhood in the pre-existence, before he came to earth.
(New Testament | Luke 13:32)

32 And he said unto them, Go ye, and tell that fox, Behold, I cast out devils, and I do cures to day and to morrow, and the third day I shall be perfected.

3)
Bible Christianity: emphasizes that God gives us salvation, freely 100%

Mormonism: emphasizes that God gave us a plan of salvation. This puts the spotlight on human effort because people need to work the plan in order to progress.
(New Testament | Matthew 25:33 - 36)

33 And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.
34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.
(New Testament | James 2:14 - 20)

14 What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?
15 If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food,
16 And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit?
17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.
18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.
19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.
20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Yes, you are right, I am picking out scriptures that fit my gospel. Hence they are scriptures in the bible that support my position. Isn't that what you do, or can you find no scriptures that support your position?

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

Mormons do NOT even like our God.

LDS Quote L Richards.jpg

JOSEPH SMITH TAUGHT:
“Many men say there is one God; the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost are only one God. I say that is a strange God anyhow—three in one, and one in three! It is a curious organization anyhow. All are to be crammed into one God, according to sectarianism. It would make the biggest God in all the world. He would be a wonderfully big God—he would be a giant or a monster.”
(Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p. 372; History of the Church, vol. 6, p. 476)

“One of the most fallacious doctrines originated by Satan and propounded by man is that man is saved alone by the grace of God; that belief in Jesus Christ alone is all that is needed for salvation.” (Spencer W. Kimball, The Miracle of Forgiveness, p. 206)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Mormons do NOT even like our God.

JOSEPH SMITH TAUGHT:
“Many men say there is one God; the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost are only one God. I say that is a strange God anyhow—three in one, and one in three! It is a curious organization anyhow. All are to be crammed into one God, according to sectarianism. It would make the biggest God in all the world. He would be a wonderfully big God—he would be a giant or a monster.”
(Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p. 372; History of the Church, vol. 6, p. 476)

“One of the most fallacious doctrines originated by Satan and propounded by man is that man is saved alone by the grace of God; that belief in Jesus Christ alone is all that is needed for salvation.” (Spencer W. Kimball, The Miracle of Forgiveness, p. 206)

Man is not saved by grace alone, we have access to grace by faith:

(New Testament | Romans 5:1 - 2)

1 THEREFORE being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:
2 By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.

Dead faith does not save:

(New Testament | James 2:14 - 20)

14 What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?
15 If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food,
16 And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit?
17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.
18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.
19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.
20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?

How can a person know God without LOVE? How can a person know LOVE without works?

(New Testament | John 13:34 - 35)

34 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.
35 By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

Jesus showed His LOVE by works.

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married

It always amazes me that Christians write and say things like "Mormons have some wild ideas about baptism and who God is"?

We in the Church of Jesus Christ of LDS, when talking with people in this forum, give them information that comes directly from the bible only. So if you are getting some wild ideas, these wild ideas are coming straight out of the bible. Which, I believe you believe in. Right?

There are scriptures in the bible that you have never heard of before, and when you read them, they go straight over your head and you give them no more thought, because your pastor tells you not to worry about that one because it doesn't mean what it is saying, so don't worry.

Besides when was the biblical process of baptism a wild idea that is so backwards to the truth?

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Mormon view of the Bible:

Book of Mormon, 1 Nephi 13
24 And the angel of the Lord said unto me: Thou hast beheld that the [BIBLE]book proceeded forth from the mouth of a Jew; and when it proceeded forth from the mouth of a Jew it contained the fulness of the gospel of the Lord, of whom the twelve apostles bear record; and they bear record according to the truth which is in the Lamb of God.

25 Wherefore, these things go forth from the Jews in purity unto the Gentiles, according to the truth which is in God.

26 And after they go forth by the hand of the twelve apostles of the Lamb, from the Jews unto the Gentiles, thou seest the formation of that great and abominable church, which is most abominable above all other churches; for behold, they have taken away from the gospel of the Lamb many parts which are plain and most precious; and also many covenants of the Lord have they taken away.

27 And all this have they done that they might pervert the right ways of the Lord, that they might blind the eyes and harden the hearts of the children of men.

28 Wherefore, thou seest that after the book hath gone forth through the hands of the great and abominable church, that there are many plain and precious things taken away from the book, which is the book of the Lamb of God.

29 And after these plain and precious things were taken away it goeth forth unto all the nations of the Gentiles; and after it goeth forth unto all the nations of the Gentiles, yea, even across the many waters which thou hast seen with the Gentiles which have gone forth out of captivity, thou seest—because of the many plain and precious things which have been taken out of the book, which were plain unto the understanding of the children of men, according to the plainness which is in the Lamb of God—because of these things which are taken away out of the gospel of the Lamb, an exceedingly great many do stumble, yea, insomuch that Satan hath great power over them.
1 Nephi 13:24-29

And he said unto me: Behold there are save two churches only; the one is the church of the Lamb of God, and the other is the church of the devil; wherefore, whoso belongeth not to the church of the Lamb of God belongeth to that great church, which is the mother of abominations; and she is the harlot of all the earth.
1 Nephi 14:10

LDS do not recognize any non-LDS baptism as valid.

LDS Baptismal Interview Questions

1. Do you believe that God is our Eternal Father? Do you believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, the Savior and Redeemer of the world?
2. Do you believe the Church and gospel of Jesus Christ have been restored through the Prophet Joseph Smith? Do you believe that [current Church President] is a prophet of God? What does this mean to you?
3. What does it mean to you to repent? Do you feel that you have repented of your past transgressions?
4. Have you ever committed a serious crime? If so, are you now on probation or parole? Have you ever participated in an abortion? a homosexual relationship?
5. You have been taught that membership in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints includes living gospel standards. What do you understand of the following standards? Are you willing to obey them?

a. The law of chastity, which prohibits any sexual relationship outside the bonds of a legal marriage between a man and a woman.
b. The law of tithing.
c. The Word of Wisdom.
d. The Sabbath day, including partaking of the sacrament weekly and rendering service to fellow members.
6. When you are baptized, you covenant with God that you are willing to take upon yourself the name of Christ and keep His commandments throughout your life. Are you ready to make this covenant and strive to be faithful to it?

12: How Do I Prepare People for Baptism and Confirmation?

One of the commandments not mentioned is becoming worthy of a temple recommend and meeting those requirements.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Mormon view of the Bible:

Book of Mormon, 1 Nephi 13
24 And the angel of the Lord said unto me: Thou hast beheld that the [BIBLE]book proceeded forth from the mouth of a Jew; and when it proceeded forth from the mouth of a Jew it contained the fulness of the gospel of the Lord, of whom the twelve apostles bear record; and they bear record according to the truth which is in the Lamb of God.

25 Wherefore, these things go forth from the Jews in purity unto the Gentiles, according to the truth which is in God.

26 And after they go forth by the hand of the twelve apostles of the Lamb, from the Jews unto the Gentiles, thou seest the formation of that great and abominable church, which is most abominable above all other churches; for behold, they have taken away from the gospel of the Lamb many parts which are plain and most precious; and also many covenants of the Lord have they taken away.

27 And all this have they done that they might pervert the right ways of the Lord, that they might blind the eyes and harden the hearts of the children of men.

28 Wherefore, thou seest that after the book hath gone forth through the hands of the great and abominable church, that there are many plain and precious things taken away from the book, which is the book of the Lamb of God.

29 And after these plain and precious things were taken away it goeth forth unto all the nations of the Gentiles; and after it goeth forth unto all the nations of the Gentiles, yea, even across the many waters which thou hast seen with the Gentiles which have gone forth out of captivity, thou seest—because of the many plain and precious things which have been taken out of the book, which were plain unto the understanding of the children of men, according to the plainness which is in the Lamb of God—because of these things which are taken away out of the gospel of the Lamb, an exceedingly great many do stumble, yea, insomuch that Satan hath great power over them.
1 Nephi 13:24-29

And he said unto me: Behold there are save two churches only; the one is the church of the Lamb of God, and the other is the church of the devil; wherefore, whoso belongeth not to the church of the Lamb of God belongeth to that great church, which is the mother of abominations; and she is the harlot of all the earth.
1 Nephi 14:10

LDS do not recognize any non-LDS baptism as valid.

LDS Baptismal Interview Questions

1. Do you believe that God is our Eternal Father? Do you believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, the Savior and Redeemer of the world?
2. Do you believe the Church and gospel of Jesus Christ have been restored through the Prophet Joseph Smith? Do you believe that [current Church President] is a prophet of God? What does this mean to you?
3. What does it mean to you to repent? Do you feel that you have repented of your past transgressions?
4. Have you ever committed a serious crime? If so, are you now on probation or parole? Have you ever participated in an abortion? a homosexual relationship?
5. You have been taught that membership in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints includes living gospel standards. What do you understand of the following standards? Are you willing to obey them?

a. The law of chastity, which prohibits any sexual relationship outside the bonds of a legal marriage between a man and a woman.
b. The law of tithing.
c. The Word of Wisdom.
d. The Sabbath day, including partaking of the sacrament weekly and rendering service to fellow members.
6. When you are baptized, you covenant with God that you are willing to take upon yourself the name of Christ and keep His commandments throughout your life. Are you ready to make this covenant and strive to be faithful to it?

12: How Do I Prepare People for Baptism and Confirmation?

One of the commandments not mentioned is becoming worthy of a temple recommend and meeting those requirements.
Will God recognize any baptism that is not authorized by Himself? Of course not. We also know there were many books which were not included in the Bible. There are only two churches on earth, those who believe in Jesus Christ and walk as He walked, and those who follow the devil:

(New Testament | 1 John 2:4 - 6)

4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.
5 But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.
6 He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.

(New Testament | John 8:43 - 55)

43 Why do ye not understand my speech? even because ye cannot hear my word.
44 Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.
45 And because I tell you the truth, ye believe me not.
46 Which of you convinceth me of sin? And if I say the truth, why do ye not believe me?
47 He that is of God heareth God's words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God.
48 Then answered the Jews, and said unto him, Say we not well that thou art a Samaritan, and hast a devil?
49 Jesus answered, I have not a devil; but I honour my Father, and ye do dishonour me.
50 And I seek not mine own glory: there is one that seeketh and judgeth.
51 Verily, verily, I say unto you, If a man keep my saying, he shall never see death.
52 Then said the Jews unto him, Now we know that thou hast a devil. Abraham is dead, and the prophets; and thou sayest, If a man keep my saying, he shall never taste of death.
53 Art thou greater than our father Abraham, which is dead? and the prophets are dead: whom makest thou thyself?
54 Jesus answered, If I honour myself, my honour is nothing: it is my Father that honoureth me; of whom ye say, that he is your God:
55 Yet ye have not known him; but I know him: and if I should say, I know him not, I shall be a liar like unto you: but I know him, and keep his saying.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
NOT in the Bible:

2 Our Father Advanced and
Progressed Until He Became God

President Joseph Fielding Smith said: “Our Father in heaven, according to the Prophet, had a Father, and since there has been a condition of this kind through all eternity, each Father had a Father” (Doctrines of Salvation, 2:47).

President Joseph F. Smith taught: “I know that God is a being with body, parts and passions.... Man was born of woman; Christ, the Savior, was born of woman; and God, the Father was born of woman” (Church News, 19 Sept. 1936, p. 2).

President Wilford Woodruff explained: “[God] has had his endowments a great many years ago. He has ascended to his thrones, principalities and powers in the eternities. We are his children.....We are here to fill a probation and receive an education” (Deseret News Weekly, 28 Sept. 1881, p. 546).

How does it help us to know that the basic elements of God’s life in a mortal world were the same as ours? President Brigham Young explained:

“He is our Father—the Father of our Spirits—and was once a man in mortal flesh as we are....

“...There never was a time when there were not Gods and worlds and when men were not passing through the same ordeals that we are now passing through....

“It appears ridiculous to the world, under their darkened and erroneous traditions, that God has been a finite being” (Deseret News, 16 Nov. 1859, p. 290).

Search These Commandments, Melchizedek Priesthood Personal Study Guide, Copyright 1984, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, pp. 152-153

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
NOT in the Bible:

2 Our Father Advanced and
Progressed Until He Became God

President Joseph Fielding Smith said: “Our Father in heaven, according to the Prophet, had a Father, and since there has been a condition of this kind through all eternity, each Father had a Father” (Doctrines of Salvation, 2:47).

President Joseph F. Smith taught: “I know that God is a being with body, parts and passions.... Man was born of woman; Christ, the Savior, was born of woman; and God, the Father was born of woman” (Church News, 19 Sept. 1936, p. 2).

President Wilford Woodruff explained: “[God] has had his endowments a great many years ago. He has ascended to his thrones, principalities and powers in the eternities. We are his children.....We are here to fill a probation and receive an education” (Deseret News Weekly, 28 Sept. 1881, p. 546).

How does it help us to know that the basic elements of God’s life in a mortal world were the same as ours? President Brigham Young explained:

“He is our Father—the Father of our Spirits—and was once a man in mortal flesh as we are....

“...There never was a time when there were not Gods and worlds and when men were not passing through the same ordeals that we are now passing through....

“It appears ridiculous to the world, under their darkened and erroneous traditions, that God has been a finite being” (Deseret News, 16 Nov. 1859, p. 290).

Search These Commandments, Melchizedek Priesthood Personal Study Guide, Copyright 1984, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, pp. 152-153
Jesus Christ, the Son of God, was born, died, and was resurrected. Why would His pattern be any different than that of the Father?:

(New Testament | John 5:19)

19 Then answered Jesus and said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Jesus Christ, the Son of God, was born, died, and was resurrected. Why would His pattern be any different than that of the Father?:

(New Testament | John 5:19)

19 Then answered Jesus and said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise.

Did it ever occur to you to actually read the passages you quote in context? Because if you did, you'd see that the quoted portion can't possibly support the strange theology and timeline behind the question you've placed before it.

I'm on my phone, so cutting and pasting huge blocks of text isn't an option for me, but I'll summarize the context you're missing and you and others can check it yourselves, if you wish.

John 5 begins with healing of the paralytic at the pool of Bethesda, during which Jesus tells the man "Rise, take up your bed and walk" (verse 8). It being the Sabbath, the Jews tell this man that it is unlawful that he carry his bed, and demand to know of him who gave him command to violate the Sabbath. Upon confronting Jesus, He tells them "My Father has been working until now, and I have been working" (verse 17). This made the Jews even angrier, because He not only broke the Sabbath, but made Himself equal with God in the process, by claiming to be His Son (verse 18).

This is the immediate context of the section you've quoted. He is telling the Jews, over their objections to the contrary, that He hasn't done anything but exactly what the Father has given Him power and authority to do, as the Son and the Father both work together, not at cross purposes, the Son being the manifestation of and thereby doing the work of the Father, realizing His will, as His Word/Wisdom. (I would think, given the Mormon false understanding of the Holy Trinity that they are united "in purpose", you'd understand this, since its an affirmation of that fact, in a way). This is what it means that "the Son can do nothing of His own but what He sees the Father do." To claim that it is meant as literally as you are taking it to mean not only violates several other passages in the Bible already presented in this thread (e.g., about I AM having neither father nor mother; that has to be wrong for your question to make sense), but even Christ's own words a few verses later in verse 20, when Christ says "For the Father loves the Son, and shows Him all things that He Himself does; and He will show Him greater works than these, that you may marvel." The Father shows Christ His great wurks, enabling Christ, as they are One in divinity, to perform the same and even greater works -- an allusion to the Resurrection, no doubt, because what else could even be classified as being "even greater" than what the Father already shows Him to do in healing the lame, raising the dead, and all other signs already performed which testify to Christ's unique divine unity with the Father? (Their being homoousios/consubtantial, a reality which this thread shows -- as many others before it have shown -- Mormons incapable of understanding, due to the warped theological views they have inherited from JS and the other 'Mormon fathers'.)

Here we have the one thing which even Christ affirms is greater than what has been shown to Him by the Father, and it is one thing the Father did not do. The Father did not die upon the cross. Not only would the passion narrative make no sense if He did (e.g., "My God, My God...why have You forsaken me?" Hint: He wasn't talking to Himself!), but the basics of Christian theology with regard to the incarnation and the entire plan of salvation are violated by the belief that it was the Father who died upon the cross. This is actually an ancient heresy called Patripassionism (lit. "Father-suffering"), which was condemned by the Church many centuries before Joseph Smith was ever born, proving Mormonism once again to be theologically nothing but the rebranding of already-rejected ancient heresies.

Anyway, this is why later in John 10:18, when Christ speaks of His death and resurrection, He says that He lays His body down of Himself (no one takes it from Him), and takes it up again of His own power, for this command He has received of His Father. He doesn't say here that He does so in imitation of the Father Who has already done so (because the Father hasn't; practically speaking, that is 'the point', if you will, of the incarnation), but rather that of His own power He does so, by command of His Father.

To say that another Father-God must have been crucified on some other planst at some time to "show Jesus how" or whatever is just absolute insanity. Not only was crucifixion already practiced by the Romans before Christ's coming, rhe Mormon set-up essentially reduces the entire salvation history into a kind of play/act repeated ad nauseam, robbing all Persons of the Holy Trinity of their unique relationship of shared divinity (because if there's another God the Father, then there's another God the Son, and another Holy Spirit, on some other planet -- i.e., the Holy Trinity is not the revelation of the One God to man, but simply our particular one of many 'trinities').

In short, you make God and salvation in Christ -- the pillars of the Christian religion -- into a complete farce, all in service of an absurdly literal and wrong interpretation of one verse, since that's what best fits Mormon theology.

There are really no words for this...at least none that I can repeat in polite company. Such profoundly deep heresy is surely from the devil. May God save you and us all from his clutches, in the name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit, the One God.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigDaddy4
Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Did it ever occur to you to actually read the passages you quote in context? Because if you did, you see that the quoted portion can't possibly support the strange theology and timeline behind the question you've placed before it.

I'm on my phone, so cutting and pasting huge blocks of text isn't an option for me, but I'll summarize the context you're missing and you and others can check it yourselves, if you wish.

John 5 begins with healing of the paralytic at the pool of Bethesda, during which Jesus tells the man "Rise, take up your bed and walk" (verse 8). It being the Sabbath, the Jews tell this man that it is unlawful that he carry his bed, and demand to know of him who gave him command to violate the Sabbath. Upon confronting Jesus, He tells them "My Father has been working until now, and I have been working" (verse 17). This made the Jews even angrier, because He not only broke the Sabbath, but made Himself equal with God in the process, by claiming to be His Son (verse 18).

This is the immediate context of the section you've quoted. He is telling the Jews, over their objections to the contrary, that He hasn't done anything but exactly what the Father has given Him power and authority to do, as the Son and the Father both work together, not at cross purposes, thevl Son being the manifestation of and thereby doing the work of the Father, realizing His will, as His Word/Wisdom. (I would think, given the Mormon false understanding of the Holy Trinity that they are united "in purpose", you'd understand this, since its an affirmation of that fact, in a way). This is what it means that "the Son can do nothing of His own but what He sees the Father do." To claim that it is meant as literally as you are taking it to mean not only violates several other passages in the Bible already presented in this thread (e.g., about I AM having neither father nor mother; that has to be wrong for your question to make sense), but even Christ's own words a few verses later in verse 20, when Christ says "For the Father loves the Son, and shows Him all things that He Himself does; and He will show Him greater works than these, that you may marvel." The Father shows Christ His great wurks, enabling Christ, as they are One in divinity, to perform the same and even greater works -- an allusion to the Resurrection, no doubt, because what else could even be classified as being "even greater" than what the Father already shows Him to do in healing the lame, raising the dead, and all other signs already performed which testify to Christ's unique divine unity with the Father? (Their being homoousios/consubtantial, a reality which this thread shows -- as many others before it have shown -- Mormons incapable of understanding, due to the warped theological views they have inherited from JS and the other 'Mormon fathers'.)

Here we have the one thing which even Christ affirms is greater than what has been shown to Him by the Father, and it is one thing the Father did not do. The Father did not die upon the cross. Not only would the passion narrative make no sense if He did (e.g., "My God, My God...why have You forsaken me?" Hint: He wasn't talking to Himself!), but the basics of Christian theology with regard to the incarnation and the entire plan of salvation are violated by the belief that it was the Father who died upon the cross. This is actually an ancient heresy called Patripassionism (lit. "Father-suffering"), which was condemned by the Church many centuries before Joseph Smith was ever born, proving Mormonism once again to be theologically nothing but the rebranding of already-rejected ancient heresies.

Anyway, this is why later in John 10:18, when Christ speaks of His death and resurrection, He says that He lays His body down of Himself (no one takes it from Him), and takes it up again of His own power, for this command He has received of His Father. He doesn't say here that He does so in imitation of the Father Who has already done so (because the Father hasn't; practically speaking, that is 'the point', if you will, of the incarnation), but rather that of His own power He does so, by command of His Father.

To say that another Father-God must have been crucified on some other planst at some time to "show Jesus how" or whatever is just absolute insanity. Not only was crucifixion already practiced by the Romans before Christ's coming, rhe Mormon set-up essentially reduces the entire salvation history into a kind of play/act repeated ad nauseam, robbing all Persons of the Holy Trinity of their unique relationship of shared divinity (because if there's another God the Father, then there's another God the Son, and another Holy Spirit, on some other planet -- i.e., the Holy Trinity is not the revelation of the One God to man, but simply our particular one of many 'trinities').

In short, you make God and salvation in Christ -- the pillars of the Christian religion -- into a complete farce, all in service of an absurdly literal and wrong interpretation of one verse, since that's what best fits Mormon theology.

There are really no words for this...at least none that I can repeat in polite company. Such profoundly deep heresy is surely from the devil. May God save you and us all from his clutches, in the name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit, the One God.
So if the Father does not have a spiritual resurrected body of flesh and bones, the Father and Son are not of the same substance then.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
So if the Father does not have a spiritual resurrected body of flesh and bones, the Father and Son are not of the same substance then.

Not any more---Jesus, The Father and the Holy Spirit were of the same substance--then Jesus became human and He retains His humanity now, but He is also divine, which we never were.
As usual, Mormonism has it backwards--that Jesus is flesh and bone now so God has to be also---no---Jesus was spirit before with God--He gave it up to save you and you guys refuse to even acknowledge and appreciate His sacrifice.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Not any more---Jesus, The Father and the Holy Spirit were of the same substance--then Jesus became human and He retains His humanity now, but He is also divine, which we never were.
As usual, Mormonism has it backwards--that Jesus is flesh and bone now so God has to be also---no---Jesus was spirit before with God--He gave it up to save you and you guys refuse to even acknowledge and appreciate His sacrifice.
So the Nicene Creed got it wrong then as it was written after Christ's death. When did we refuse to even acknowledge and appreciate His sacrifice? We never have done so, He is the way and the only way back to God our Father.

Upvote 0