United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Asking ONLY Mormons ---
1. Who is the Mormon holy ghost?
2. Where does he reside?
3. Will he live in the Celestial Kingdom when worthy Mormons are there or will he be in some other place?

Searching Mormon scriptures and writings, I'm providing some quotes that don't clearly answer my questions.

Doctrine and Covenants 8
1 Oliver Cowdery, verily, verily, I say unto you, that assuredly as the Lord liveth, who is your God and your Redeemer, even so surely shall you receive a knowledge of whatsoever things you shall ask in faith, with an honest heart, believing that you shall receive a knowledge concerning the engravings of old records, which are ancient, which contain those parts of my scripture of which has been spoken by the manifestation of my Spirit.

2 Yea, behold, I will tell you in your mind and in your heart, by the Holy Ghost, which shall come upon you and which shall dwell in your heart.

Doctrine and Covenants 130
3 John 14:23—The appearing of the Father and the Son, in that verse, is a personal appearance; and the idea that the Father and the Son dwell in a man’s heart is an old sectarian notion, and is false.

Doctrine and Covenants
Section 130
(Items of instruction given by Joseph Smith the Prophet, at Ramus, Illinois, April 2, 1843.)

22 The Father has a body of flesh and bones as tangible as man’s; the Son also; but the Holy Ghost has not a body of flesh and bones, but is a personage of Spirit. Were it not so, the Holy Ghost could not dwell in us.
(When was verse 22 added to the D&C?)

Ephesians 3 (KJV)
17 That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love,

Ephesians 3 (JST aka Inspired Version)
17 That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love,

The Holy Ghost is a member of the Godhead (see 1 John 5:7; D&C 20:28). He is a “personage of Spirit” (D&C 130:22). He can be in only one place at a time, but His influence can be everywhere at the same time.
Gospel Principles Chapter 7: The Holy Ghost

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Maybe I missed it--but I have not seen an answer to question #3.

Hi! The quotes I provided don't even make sense. They say he's a personage of spirit so that he can dwell in people; then they say he can be in only one place at a time.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Hi! The quotes I provided don't even make sense. They say he's a personage of spirit so that he can dwell in people; then they say he can be in only one place at a time.

Yes-I found that rather an odd thing to say---how can He be in only 1 place yet reside in everyone's heart? What is meant by His "influence" can be e everywhere?

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
If everyone has a spirit person in their body (which I was taught), then isn't it crowded when there are two personages in there? D&C 8:2 says the Holy Ghost will dwell in Oliver Cowdery's heart.

2 Yea, behold, I will tell you in your mind and in your heart, by the Holy Ghost, which shall come upon you and which shall dwell in your heart.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
How, then, does the Holy Ghost operate under your personal theology?

The question is how does the Hoy Spirit work under your theology---where will it reside in the kingdom of God?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

withwonderingawe

Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2015
Salem Ut
✟161,549.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
3. Will he live in the Celestial Kingdom when worthy Mormons are there or will he be in some other place?

We really do not know a lot about the Holy Ghost. He is a separate being from the Father and he is a being of spirit only. We assume He is another spirit Son of God the Father but there are a few feminist who have ask why a man? Will He ever have a physical body? We don't know. I have some ponderings and but they are not Gospel doctrine and just my own beliefs. He does presided over the Telestial Kingdom but that does not mean he doesn't live in the Celestial Kingdom with God the Father.

Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
The question is how does the Hoy Spirit work under your theology---where will it reside in the kingdom of God?

If you're going to be casting aspersions on someone's belief system, you need to be able to explain how yours is better.

The entire premise of this thread is that our theology is somehow defective, so in that sense there'd better also be an explanation of a better way.

• Agree
Reactions: Jane_Doe
Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,692.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
If you're going to be casting aspersions on someone's belief system, you need to be able to explain how yours is better.

The entire premise of this thread is that our theology is somehow defective, so in that sense there'd better also be an explanation of a better way.

Or you can answer the questions as asked. That your theology is defective or not should be clear from your answers, if you can provide them.

"I'm not answering your questions until you answer mine" doesn't work when the thread is asking about your religion's theology, not the OP's.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
We really do not know a lot about the Holy Ghost. He is a separate being from the Father and he is a being of spirit only. We assume He is another spirit Son of God the Father but there are a few feminist who have ask why a man? Will He ever have a physical body? We don't know. I have some ponderings and but they are not Gospel doctrine and just my own beliefs. He does presided over the Telestial Kingdom but that does not mean he doesn't live in the Celestial Kingdom with God the Father.

One thing I really appreciate about you is that you actually try to answer questions!

Statements such as the following, bring the questions in the OP to my mind:

Eternal life is to know Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ and dwell with Them forever—to inherit a place in the highest degree of the celestial kingdom (see John 17:3; D&C 131:1–4; 132:21–24).
True to the Faith Salvation

My question is sincere. I'm having trouble finding the answer in my library, online, or anywhere else.

Upvote 0

withwonderingawe

Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2015
Salem Ut
✟161,549.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
One thing I really appreciate about you is that you actually try to answer questions!

Statements such as the following, bring the questions in the OP to my mind:

Eternal life is to know Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ and dwell with Them forever—to inherit a place in the highest degree of the celestial kingdom (see John 17:3; D&C 131:1–4; 132:21–24).
True to the Faith Salvation

My question is sincere. I'm having trouble finding the answer in my library, online, or anywhere else.

Why is that confusing?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

withwonderingawe

Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2015
Salem Ut
✟161,549.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

There is no real answer to that even with the concept of the Trinity only going the opposite way. How can he 'indwell' and be yet bee all over the place at one time. Neither of us as any understand of the physical dynamics of a spirit.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others

When asking about your religion--no one need state that theirs is better. The question is about your believes not ours. This is merely an attempt to sidetrack and avoid answering the questions posed to you. When I am asked about mine, I do not expect anyone to prove their faith is superior to mine. I merely answer the questions. This is not about superiority, but about the word of God--which you religion states is defective, yet say you believe in it above the BOM---as long as it complies with it.

Upvote 0

withwonderingawe

Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2015
Salem Ut
✟161,549.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
He can't be "poured out on all flesh" if He is limited to being only in one place at one time - He can be ubiquitius -- "all flesh" is more than one place

Well we don't understand the timing of God either.

I'll tell you my own personal opinion. It' based on the idea that God's house is a house of order and on the concept of stewardship. And Isa 45:12 I have made the earth, and created man upon it: I, even my hands, have stretched out the heavens, and all their host have I commanded.

In Mormon theology when Jesus went into the spirit prison he didn't just teach the spirits there but organized a large missionary movement, with those in paradise seeking out family members to teach the gospel too. It's an organization.

I think the Holy Spirit works the same way, he has a vast army of spirits or Guardian Angels all reporting back to him. There are moments when he is directly involved but a lot of the guidance we receive is from these angels.

But please this is not Mormon doctrine just me pondering, and I can be completely wrong.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Acts 2 NIV
31 Seeing what was to come, he spoke of the resurrection of the Messiah, that he was not abandoned to the realm of the dead, nor did his body see decay.

The realm of the dead isn't a place of punishment. It isn't gehenna.

After death non-believers are judged. They aren't given an opportunity for salvation. Wishful thinking doesn't give people another opportunity.

Hebrews 9:27
27 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:

Revelation 20
11 And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.

12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.

13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.

14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

After death, it's too late to repent:

Luke 16
19 There was a certain rich man, which was clothed in purple and fine linen, and fared sumptuously every day:

20 And there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, which was laid at his gate, full of sores,

21 And desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man's table: moreover the dogs came and licked his sores.

22 And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried;

23 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.

24 And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.

25 But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented.

26 And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence.

27 Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father's house:

28 For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment.

29 Abraham saith unto him, They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them.

30 And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent.

31 And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.

Upvote 0