LDS Mormon gods

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
But they added each idea at a certain time in their history. The Book of Mormon and D&C and PoG say no such thing.
As people are able to believe, more information can be given them from God. JS didn't just wake up one morning and say, wow, I know how God became God. (which no Christian can say because nobody knows how God came to be. The best they can say is he is uncreated and has existed for ever. Well, to many Christians that is not enough, they want to know how? And nobody knows.)

But JS believed what God told him and he did what God told him to do, so God gave him more knowledge, and then more, and will continue to enlighten our minds as we prove worthy of receiving this information.

It is like the Corinthians and Paul. Paul tried to give them a higher knowledge of the gospel.
The bible distinguishes between lower or fundamental gospel doctrines (milk) and higher knowledge gospel doctrines (meat).
The Corintians were obviously having a hard time living the "milk" and would not even hear Paul tell them of the higher gospel "meat". They would not receive it, so the Lord kept it from them and from the bible. Too bad.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
So non-believers had to be involved and witness the whole thing and then you would believe?

There us very little proof of anything that happened in the bible, except what the bible tells us, so good luck with that?

No---It goes against the bible---I would not believe even under those circumstances---it just would be more credible to others. See, I do not need any evidence for the bible anymore. Maybe when I was younger. I believe the bible to be the word of God and anything that comes along has to agree with what is already there. It is the Compass point. You don't change the bible to agree with what someone says.
Anyone can come along and say---the bible is corrupt and I have been given the truth by God and just pray about it and you will see that I am telling the truth. Well, Satan knows how to manipulate people. And he can do miracles. Miracles, in and of themselves, do not prove anything is of God. The Egyptian priests could also reproduce some of the same miracles as Moses. In the end, though, God will win out.
No one needs to pray about the book of Mormon and have a burning bosom experience---that means nothing. Bottom line, does it conform to the word of God? If not---it is not of God. Otherwise, you end up with JS, Jim ones, Charles Manson and so on---there will be others that come along. There will be miracles. The last days will be very deceptive. If you do not know your bible, it is easy top be mislead. Satan has had 1000's of years of practice. See, God has not given new light--He has, and will illuminate what is already there. So when someone comes along and says that God has told them that He has given them new light and has placed them as leader of this new light and it is the way to salvation now---bye, bye---no need to pray about it---We already have the word of God and any new light must be in agreement with what is there, illuminating what already is.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Which god gets to decide that? Jesus' father, or the father before him, or the father before him, etc.? Presumably, from what I gather your religions' teachings to be on John 5:19, each "father" progressed by doing was their father did, just as Jesus supposedly progressed because he did what his father did. Now, you want us to believe that there may be "wiggle" room for you lds "gods in training", that you may not have to sacrifice yourselves as Jesus did? :scratch:

The Christian God, which your religion does not follow, will decide who is teaching and following false doctrine. I'd hate to be on that side...
You said: "Which god gets to decide that?" :

(New Testament | John 5:22 - 23)

22 For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son:
23 That all men should honour the Son, even as they honour the Father. He that honoureth not the Son honoureth not the Father which hath sent him

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
That is what you have been told. There is no proof of that. Only passed on by followers of JS, no corroborating evidence from nonbelievers.
(New Testament | Matthew 13:14)

14 And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive:

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Maybe he should've spent longer time or waited until he was a bit older, because it certainly doesn't read like a miraculous 'translation' (what with all the grammatical mistakes relative to the English of both Joseph's own time and the time he was attempting to imitate).

Then why were the golden plates needed at all in the first place? If he could just put a rock in a hat and then dictate what he was shown in the 'light' when he put his face in the hat (which is how it happened, as your religion is now forced to admit thanks to everyone having seen that South Park episode), how do you even know that the plates had anything to do with the resulting book?
Joseph Smith used the plates to translate the Book of Lehi.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
(New Testament | Matthew 13:14)

14 And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive:

2Th 2:8 And then shall that Wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming:
2Th 2:9 Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders,
2Th 2:10 And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.
2Th 2:11 And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:
2Th 2:12 That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

Don't believe the lies.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 person
Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
2Th 2:8 And then shall that Wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming:
2Th 2:9 Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders,
2Th 2:10 And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.
2Th 2:11 And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:
2Th 2:12 That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

Don't believe the lies.
Salvation (eternal life) comes to those who keep the commandments:

(New Testament | Luke 10:25 - 28)

25 ¶ And, behold, a certain lawyer stood up, and tempted him, saying, Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?
26 He said unto him, What is written in the law? how readest thou?
27 And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself.
28 And he said unto him, Thou hast answered right: this do, and thou shalt live.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
But JS believed what God told him and he did what God told him to do, so God gave him more knowledge, and then more, and will continue to enlighten our minds as we prove worthy of receiving this information.

It is like the Corinthians and Paul. Paul tried to give them a higher knowledge of the gospel.
The bible distinguishes between lower or fundamental gospel doctrines (milk) and higher knowledge gospel doctrines (meat).
The Corintians were obviously having a hard time living the "milk" and would not even hear Paul tell them of the higher gospel "meat". They would not receive it, so the Lord kept it from them and from the bible. Too bad.

Peter, your post is pure Mormon propaganda. You swallowed it hook, line and sinker. It's so sad. I sincerely hope you find the truth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
As people are able to believe, more information can be given them from God. JS didn't just wake up one morning and say, wow, I know how God became God. (which no Christian can say because nobody knows how God came to be. The best they can say is he is uncreated and has existed for ever. Well, to many Christians that is not enough, they want to know how? And nobody knows.)

We have faith in God's own word and would rather follow Jesus than false prophets.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,692.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Joseph Smith used the plates to translate the Book of Lehi.

So the seer stone and the hat were only for the Book of Nephi (if that's what the earlier one is called; I can't remember right now)? Where does the LDS religion say this?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

25 ¶ And, behold, a certain lawyer stood up, and tempted him, saying, Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?
27 And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself.
28 And he said unto him, Thou hast answered right: this do, and thou shalt live.

Those who keep the commandments have God who works in them both to will and to do of his good pleasure. We love Him because He saved us not because we first did good works. Without Him, we can do nothing.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
So the seer stone and the hat were only for the Book of Nephi (if that's what the earlier one is called; I can't remember right now)? Where does the LDS religion say this?
First Book of Nephi is correct. Later there are the Second and Third Books of Nephi.

• Informative
Reactions: dzheremi
Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I believe the bible to be the word of God and anything that comes along has to agree with what is already there.

Christian Amen.jpg
Christian Amen.jpg

Reactions: mmksparbud
Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Joseph Smith translated the Book of Lehi using the Urim and Thummin and the golden plates. After that he used a seer stone in a hat to dictate the entire Book of Mormon in just 65 days. He didn't have any written material with him at that time. The Bible uses the terminology a marvellous work and a wonder:

(Old Testament | Isaiah 29:11 - 14)

11 And the vision of all is become unto you as the words of a book that is sealed, which men deliver to one that is learned, saying, Read this, I pray thee: and he saith, I cannot; for it is sealed:
12 And the book is delivered to him that is not learned, saying, Read this, I pray thee: and he saith, I am not learned.
13 ¶ Wherefore the Lord said, Forasmuch as this people draw near me with their mouth, and with their lips do honour me, but have removed their heart far from me, and their fear toward me is taught by the precept of men:
14 Therefore, behold, I will proceed to do a marvellous work among this people, even a marvellous work and a wonder: for the wisdom of their wise men shall perish, and the understanding of their prudent men shall be hid.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Those who keep the commandments have God who works in them both to will and to do of his good pleasure. We love Him because He saved us not because we first did good works. Without Him, we can do nothing.
Without the words and example He has given us we can do nothing, but using His words and following His advice we are able to work miracles by spreading His gospel of LOVE and using God's power to bless the lives of others.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You said: "Which god gets to decide that?" :

(New Testament | John 5:22 - 23)

22 For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son:
23 That all men should honour the Son, even as they honour the Father. He that honoureth not the Son honoureth not the Father which hath sent him
If Jesus does what his father did, who does Jesus pass this right to judge on to? Where is his son? And if Jesus is your brother, why does he get to judge you and not the father? If the fairy tale were to be true and you become a god and are equal with Jesus, who do you get the right to pass judgement from?

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Did the thief on the cross keep the commandments?

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,692.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Joseph Smith translated the Book of Lehi using the Urim and Thummin and the golden plates. After that he used a seer stone in a hat to dictate the entire Book of Mormon in just 65 days. He didn't have any written material with him at that time. The Bible uses the terminology a marvellous work and a wonder:

(Old Testament | Isaiah 29:11 - 14)

11 And the vision of all is become unto you as the words of a book that is sealed, which men deliver to one that is learned, saying, Read this, I pray thee: and he saith, I cannot; for it is sealed:
12 And the book is delivered to him that is not learned, saying, Read this, I pray thee: and he saith, I am not learned.
13 ¶ Wherefore the Lord said, Forasmuch as this people draw near me with their mouth, and with their lips do honour me, but have removed their heart far from me, and their fear toward me is taught by the precept of men:
14 Therefore, behold, I will proceed to do a marvellous work among this people, even a marvellous work and a wonder: for the wisdom of their wise men shall perish, and the understanding of their prudent men shall be hid.

I've read the OT. I asked where the LDS religion teaches that JS used the plates to translate anything. You know, like they've implied for years in the art they produce:

joseph-smith-translating-mormon-parson-153741-gallery-notice.jpg

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
If Jesus does what his father did, who does Jesus pass this right to judge on to? Where is his son? And if Jesus is your brother, why does he get to judge you and not the father? If the fairy tale were to be true and you become a god and are equal with Jesus, who do you get the right to pass judgement from?

You said: "If Jesus does what his father did, who does Jesus pass this right to judge on to?"

It is not up to me to decide.

You said: "Where is his son?"

I do not know.

You said: "if Jesus is your brother, why does he get to judge you and not the father?"
Jesus has that right because of the atonement for our sins.

You said: "If the fairy tale were to be true and you become a god and are equal with Jesus, who do you get the right to pass judgement from?"

First I would not say that the Bible is a fairy tale as what I posted is from the Bible. That being said all callings come from above. Paul was looking forward to his calling:

(New Testament | Philippians 3:12 - 15)

12 Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus.
13 Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,
14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.
15 Let us therefore, as many as be perfect, be thus minded: and if in any thing ye be otherwise minded, God shall reveal even this unto you.

(New Testament | 2 Peter 1:10 - 11)

10 Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:
11 For so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0