Midwest
✟80,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Every God has his own planet. The children of LDS, if they are exalted, will have their own planets and plans of salvation for the people on that planet.

When we lived with our Heavenly Father, He explained a plan for our progression. We could become like Him, an exalted being.
Chapter 47: Exaltation

The Father has promised us that through our faithfulness we shall be blessed with the fulness of his kingdom. In other words we will have the privilege of becoming like him. To become like him we must have all the powers of godhood; thus a man and his wife when glorified will have spirit children who eventually will go on an earth like this one we are on and pass through the same kind of experiences, being subject to mortal conditions, and if faithful, then they also will receive the fulness of exaltation and partake of the same blessings. There is no end to this development; it will go on forever. We will become gods and have jurisdiction over worlds, and these worlds will be peopled by our own offspring. We will have an endless eternity for this.
Joseph Fielding Smith Jr., Doctrines of Salvation, Vol.2, p.48

"They will receive everything our Father in Heaven has and will become like Him. They will even be able to have spirit children and make new worlds for them to live on, and do all the things our Father in Heaven has done."
Gospel Fundamentals Manual, ©. 1992, 2002, Chapter 36, p. 201

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,757.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Interesting question.

Perhaps there is a super planet/world/universe (kolob?) where all the gods gather and live and conduct their business from using their individual holy spirits. Regardless it is impossible for all the LDS gods to be in contact with each other always since they are limited by the Physical space they occupy though perhaps they all gather for a church service in an temple that is infinite in capacity and pray and commune with their respective gods going back infinitely.

Actually if there is an infinite amount of beings who are greater than the LDS Heavenly Father (whom we can presume is a neophyte in his godhood compared to the rest) they would need an infinitely large world, so it's a planet that never stops growing or a world that never stops growing. This isn't even including the world of Spirit children and the necessary space they would take up as well. We also need to consider that Heavenly Father is just one child amongst possible millions of children whom were redeemed when he was previously a man and that his heavenly Father probably does not have the time to deal with him exclusively or more so than his other children.

This problem can perhaps be resolved by suggesting that upon reaching Godhood, the one made God becomes self sufficient and does not require intimate communion with their parent but rather their partner and should focus on raising their non glorified children to the same state.

That's just my speculation based on Mormon teaching. Personally it seems much more simple to suggest there is one God who is not limited in bodily form to the amount of space an attention he can give towards individuals.

Upvote 0

withwonderingawe

Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2015
Salem Ut
✟161,549.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Interesting question.

Perhaps there is a super planet/world/universe (kolob?) where all the gods gather and live and conduct their business from using their individual holy spirits. Regardless it is impossible for all the LDS gods to be in contact with each other always since they are limited by the Physical space they occupy though perhaps they all gather for a church service in an temple that is infinite in capacity and pray and commune with their respective gods going back infinitely.

Actually if there is an infinite amount of beings who are greater than the LDS Heavenly Father (whom we can presume is a neophyte in his godhood compared to the rest) they would need an infinitely large world, so it's a planet that never stops growing or a world that never stops growing. This isn't even including the world of Spirit children and the necessary space they would take up as well. We also need to consider that Heavenly Father is just one child amongst possible millions of children whom were redeemed when he was previously a man and that his heavenly Father probably does not have the time to deal with him exclusively or more so than his other children.

This problem can perhaps be resolved by suggesting that upon reaching Godhood, the one made God becomes self sufficient and does not require intimate communion with their parent but rather their partner and should focus on raising their non glorified children to the same state.

That's just my speculation based on Mormon teaching. Personally it seems much more simple to suggest there is one God who is not limited in bodily form to the amount of space an attention he can give towards individuals.

What makes u think a body is limiting?

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,757.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

I cannot be in two places at once. For instance, your God could not be in both Australia and New Zealand at the same time in his essence (which is his body). Now the Spirit who is not bodily but more particles (fine matter) than man could be in both Australia and New Zealand but not Heavenly Father.

To be in a body is to be constrained. For instance there are perhaps people taller than Heavenly Father and that would imply a limit to Heavenly Father's being when compared to other embodied beings. Likewise Heavenly father's Physical strength is limited by the muscle mass he has. His beard probably does not stretch out infinitely. I could go on but it seems to me to have a body is extremely limiting, from casual experience and simply thinking it out.

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

Mormon teaching. Even a spirit body can be in only one place at a time.

As a personage of spirit, the Holy Ghost can be in only one place at a time, but His influence can be everywhere at the same time.
See Gospel Principles (2009), 32.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I'm surprised you know about Kolob...many Mormons don't. Where is Kolob, anyway? Is it in our galaxy or another?

The location of Kolob hasn't been revealed.

Dives and Lazarus is an old British folk tune that is known by several different names, including The Star of the County Down (Ireland), Gilderoy (Scotland), The Thresher, Cold blows the wind, and The Murder of Maria Martin (Norfolk). Ralph (pronounced "Rafe") Vaughan Williams was commissioned to write this piece for the 1939 World's Fair in New York City. Later, Vaughan Williams took this tune and arranged it as a hymn tune called "Kingsfold". This tune has been used for Protestant hymns such as "O Sing a Song of Bethlehem", "I Heard the Voice of Jesus", and even a Christmas carol named "The Seven Joys of Mary". Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints will recognize it as Hymn #284, "If You Could Hie to Kolob", in the 1985 Hymn Book.
Music of the Month - March 2009

Mormon Lyrics.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Nye unto Kolob

I was told that "Heavenly Father" dwells in the highest level of the "Celestial Kingdom." No one said that his parents and siblings are there.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
The Mormons I talk to online love to tell people (non-Mormons) they don't understand Mormonism. However, they don't like to have an honest discussion most of the time.

I want to know how a family can be together forever if each person is creating a planet, populating it, regulating its weather, giving revelations, listening to and answering prayers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
The location of Kolob hasn't been revealed.

Dives and Lazarus is an old British folk tune that is known by several different names, including The Star of the County Down (Ireland), Gilderoy (Scotland), The Thresher, Cold blows the wind, and The Murder of Maria Martin (Norfolk). Ralph (pronounced "Rafe") Vaughan Williams was commissioned to write this piece for the 1939 World's Fair in New York City. Later, Vaughan Williams took this tune and arranged it as a hymn tune called "Kingsfold". This tune has been used for Protestant hymns such as "O Sing a Song of Bethlehem", "I Heard the Voice of Jesus", and even a Christmas carol named "The Seven Joys of Mary". Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints will recognize it as Hymn #284, "If You Could Hie to Kolob", in the 1985 Hymn Book.
Music of the Month - March 2009

View attachment 217097

Thank you for posting the song. Let me ask you another question. Since this tune was written in 1939, was Kolob known to Mormons before that?

Upvote 0

withwonderingawe

Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2015
Salem Ut
✟161,549.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm surprised you know about Kolob...many Mormons don't. Where is Kolob, anyway? Is it in our galaxy or another?

I have no idea, and if any Mormon has read the Book of Abraham they know about Kolob why here's a pic of it, Kolob Canyon
upload_2017-12-27_11-8-49.jpeg

Upvote 0

withwonderingawe

Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2015
Salem Ut
✟161,549.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Thank you for posting the song. Let me ask you another question. Since this tune was written in 1939, was Kolob known to Mormons before that?

The Hymn was written by WW Philps, who was a close friend to the Prophet Joseph Smith. When ya think of it the hymn is very significant

2. Or see the grand beginning,
Where space did not extend?
Or view the last creation,
Where Gods and matter end?
Methinks the Spirit whispers,
“No man has found ‘pure space,’
Nor seen the outside curtains,
Where nothing has a place.”

In traditional Christianity they talk of God transcending time and space as if he is on the outside looking in. But in Mormonism there is no outside, there never was nothing.

I cannot be in two places at once. For instance, your God could not be in both Australia and New Zealand at the same time in his essence (which is his body).

As mortals the Greeks could not see what is on the other side of the planet let alone what is in the next room. That has changed, I can sit here at my computer and see the traffic in Paris, a satellite might be looking down on my home right now and someone could be looking at me in my PJs through the computer.

God does not have to be everywhere at one time to know what is going on at any given place.

Joseph Smith who never saw a computer nor would understand the concept described how this works ;

Rev 4
6 And before the throne there was a sea of glass like unto crystal:

D&C 130

6 The angels do not reside on a planet like this earth;
7 But they reside in the presence of God, on a globe like a sea of glass and fire, where all things for their glory are manifest, past, present, and future, and are continually before the Lord.
8 The place where God resides is a great Urim and Thummim.

Think of those table top computers or maybe Iron Man throwing up the images from his computer around him so he can see all sides of a project.

However we still believe that God is everywhere at the same.

D&C 88
11 And the light which shineth, which giveth you light, is through him who enlighteneth your eyes, which is the same light that quickeneth your understandings;
12 Which light proceedeth forth from the presence of God to fill the immensity of space—
13 The light which is in all things, which giveth life to all things, which is the law by which all things are governed, even the power of God who sitteth upon his throne, who is in the bosom of eternity, who is in the midst of all things.

My physical God has more real power than your God made of nothing, E=mc2

Ya might like this;
www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMlbwYVb8kk

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,757.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The Hymn was written by WW Philps, who was a close friend to the Prophet Joseph Smith. When ya think of it the hymn is very significant

In traditional Christianity they talk of God transcending time and space as if he is on the outside looking in. But in Mormonism there is no outside, there never was nothing.

As mortals the Greeks could not see what is on the other side of the planet let alone what is in the next room. That has changed, I can sit here at my computer and see the traffic in Paris, a satellite might be looking down on my home right now and someone could be looking at me in my PJs through the computer.

God does not have to be everywhere at one time to know what is going on at any given place.

Joseph Smith who never saw a computer nor would understand the concept described how this works ;

Rev 4

D&C 130

7 But they reside in the presence of God, on a globe like a sea of glass and fire, where all things for their glory are manifest, past, present, and future, and are continually before the Lord.

Think of those table top computers or maybe Iron Man throwing up the images from his computer around him so he can see all sides of a project.

D&C 88
11 And the light which shineth, which giveth you light, is through him who enlighteneth your eyes, which is the same light that quickeneth your understandings;
12 Which light proceedeth forth from the presence of God to fill the immensity of space—
13 The light which is in all things, which giveth life to all things, which is the law by which all things are governed, even the power of God who sitteth upon his throne, who is in the bosom of eternity, who is in the midst of all things.

Ya might like this;

The bold statements of yours seem to contradict. Do you accept the limited nature of your God bodily? Or do you believe in his omnipresence? You could make an argument that the Spirit who is like fine matter is spread throughout all reality and even pervades distinct matter we observe but your Heavenly Father is not like that. He has a body that Joseph Smith (apparently) saw and interacted with. This means that for that brief moment of time Heavenly Father was nowhere else except in the presence of Joseph Smith.

Now verse 13 from Doctrines and covenants doesn't say God is in the midst of all things but the Power of God who is in the midst of all things. Seems to me that refers to the Holy Spirit being the power of God but not God himself. Heavenly Father seemingly either has a body like our own which will be glorified as well and while we might be able to do some neat tricks do you suppose each one of us will become omnipresent? Certainty your Heavenly Father is not in the same room I'm in at the moment. Maybe his Spirit is, but not he himself in essence.

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
"Kolob" is a the name of a star, closet to God-- this is speaking with symbolism, not literally. It is references in two passages in LDS scripture you can see here: Kolob. Again, each of these is symbolic. These are basic LDS knowledge, but aren't any center piece of theology at all.

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican

Rev 4

D&C 130

D&C 88

Ya might like this;

The hymn you quoted didn't mention Kolob. ???

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
Upvote 0