More women priests being ordaned than men.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
An interesting report showing that women outnumber men being ordained as priests within the Anglican church within Australia. It marks a new order where the status quo for the future of the church will be more heavily represented by women within all levels of the church.

Times have changed, and more women are becoming priests

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
An interesting report showing that women outnumber men being ordained as priests within the Anglican church within Australia.

Actually, that report is talking only about the Brisbane diocese of the Australian Anglican church.

And the Australian Anglican church is also shrinking pretty rapidly. I'm not sure that having female staff on the deck of the Titanic is really a good news story.

800px-AustralianReligiousAffiliation_2.svg.png

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,504,304.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Certainly women aren't outnumbering men at the ordination rail in Melbourne. In fact over the last ten years the proportion of women being ordained here has dropped quite noticeably.

Hey, Radagast, we're not dead yet. God is still at work in the Anglican Church of Australia. As long as God's still here, I don't see any reason to leave yet either. :)

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,504,304.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
There's a lot going on.

Personally I don't think the demographics are the real point. Are we being faithful to what God is calling us to do? That's what our focus should be on. The results are up to God.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Personally I don't think the demographics are the real point. Are we being faithful to what God is calling us to do?

Well, in 50 years, Anglicans have afaik dropped from 29% of the population of Victoria to 9%. That's hardly great news.

But I agree with you. Sometimes faithful service can even mean losing everybody. Have you ever read this novel?

DoomsdayBook%281stEd%29.jpg

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
An interesting report showing that women outnumber men being ordained as priests within the Anglican church within Australia. It marks a new order where the status quo for the future of the church will be more heavily represented by women within all levels of the church.

Times have changed, and more women are becoming priests

Patriarchy is dying slowly. In many Canadian universities there are more females than males graduating as doctors and lawyers. As time goes on this will have a profound effect on the medical and legal professions. As women slowly assume their rightful equal status in society, those institutions that resist will become increasingly marginalized. I think this applies to churches as well.

Upvote 0

section9+1

Mar 12, 2017
US
✟81,403.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Maybe it's because men aren't available. Bible says that when it comes to churches, God gives the growth. When women take over from men, the church changes. It appears the growth has stopped. Churches can be obliterated by outside forces, but when they die internally, something has failed.

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Seeing more female priests I don't think surprises too many people these days?

Don't see any women pastors around here?

Maybe one once 20 years ago at a Vineyard Church I was attending. She and her husband said, they shared in the Pastoral duties.

M-Bob

• Informative
Reactions: Zoii
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Just goes to show the moral decay of the Anglican Church. No wonder numbers are declining, most people don’t believe in women being clergy. I’m sure the homosexuals are making their way in as well.
That's in the story.

Our main concern is:

12 In everything, then, do to others as you would have them do to you. For this is the essence of the Law and the prophets.
13 Enter through the narrow gate

"Reverend Moses was ordained as a priest 10 years ago and has passionately supported the campaign to allow women priests in the Anglican Church, a fight won by women in 1992 when the Church of England's General Synod passed the measure by a margin of two votes.

"The church as the body of Christ ought to represent the whole body of Christ — that means women as well as men, that means young and old, that means straight and gay and trans, different colours, whatever shape the body of Christ comes in needs to be reflected in its ordained ministry," Reverend Moses said."

Reactions: LaSorcia
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Seeing more female priests I don't think surprises too many people these days?
Don't see any women pastors around here?
Limiting peoples roles is indefensible.
12 In everything, then, do to others as you would have them do to you. For this is the essence of the Law and the prophets.

• Agree
Reactions: Sparagmos
Upvote 0

~Zao~

Wisdom’s child
Site Supporter
Jun 27, 2007
✟100,595.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Patriarchy is dying slowly. In many Canadian universities there are more females than males graduating as doctors and lawyers. As time goes on this will have a profound effect on the medical and legal professions. As women slowly assume their rightful equal status in society, those institutions that resist will become increasingly marginalized. I think this applies to churches as well.
Patriarchy is indulged in only by the old and never the young in developed countries. They have never heard of it unless raised in churches. That says much to reinforce the fact that no one cares if it’s a male or female doctor or lawyer they go to. Being told there are barriers comes as a shock to the young so I can’t imagine the mindset of those who accept that after coming from something else. Truly is getting to be a boggling world where only the golden rules are high enough to adhere to.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The situations are not identical, but approximately the same thing happened in the United Methodist Church. After womens ordination was approved, the number of women candidates, and then women ministers, exploded. Interestingly enough, however, most of them seem to be assigned to failing congregations/parishes (of which the UMC has plenty), often two of them at once.

This seems peculiar to me, considering that the practice in that church is for the bishops to rotate the pastors of their congregations, whether they like it or not, on the presumption that this will keep them from becoming too entrenched, stale, or something like that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
God forbid women preach the gospel!

</sarcasm>
Psalm 68:11 ESV
The Lord gives the word; the women who announce the news are a great host

• Informative
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Anglican Church is in terminal decline.
No more so than many other denominations.

The growing groups are Pentecostal/Charismatic and Messianic

• Agree
Reactions: Sparagmos
Upvote 0

section9+1

Mar 12, 2017
US
✟81,403.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Limiting peoples roles is indefensible.

Huh? So this passage is ammunition for women being in the priesthood? I'll be darned!

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Huh? So this passage is ammunition for women being in the priesthood? I'll be darned!
You can use it for anything:
"In everything, then,"

And it covers any sort of unequal discrimination:
"do to others as you would have them do to you"

And it take precedent over any other scripture:
" for this is the Law and the Prophets."

I really just discovered it a few months ago. I mean it recently sunk in.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.