Visit site
✟1,726,104.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I would be very surprised if every intervention had positive value. Especially given how the lack of vaccine cooperation pretty much assures backsliding for any temporary achievement.
The point was that there was no value in lockdowns or mask mandates. They didn’t accomplish what was promised. In fact, they made things worse.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟431,482.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
The point was that there was no value in lockdowns or mask mandates. They didn’t accomplish what was promised. In fact, they made things worse.
Interesting. Can you link the study you read that said that?

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,726,104.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Interesting. Can you link the study you read that said that?
Nope. Like I said, I just randomly read some. If I come across one again, I’ll link to it.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I would be very surprised if every intervention had positive value. Especially given how the lack of vaccine cooperation pretty much assures backsliding for any temporary achievement.

I would think that it is up to the person, agency, group etc., that demands that others take specific action, to prove that those actions are at least reasonable, if not necessary, and effective in reaching the stated goal rather than for those that are having demands made of them be expected to prove that the demands are not.

• Agree
Reactions: durangodawood
Upvote 0

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I would think that it is up to the person, agency, group etc., that demands that others take specific action, to prove that those actions are at least reasonable, if not necessary, and effective in reaching the stated goal rather than for those that are having demands made of them be expected to prove that the demands are not.
It's almost like we could have a compromise and admit that the methods are not meant to be 100% effective, but are preferable to throwing caution to the wind and thinking we can handle pandemics because, "it's the modern age" when that kind of hubris is self destructive in any period of history that considers itself "advanced"

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's almost like we could have a compromise and admit that the methods are not meant to be 100% effective, but are preferable to throwing caution to the wind and thinking we can handle pandemics because, "it's the modern age" when that kind of hubris is self destructive in any period of history that considers itself "advanced"

We could admit that we do not require the government to force people to do things against their will in order to for us not to throw caution to the wind. I have followed guidelines, even some that i find ridiculous because the science does not support them i.e., useless masking with a piece of cloth that does next to, if not completely, zero to contain the virus. As opposed to wearing a functional mask that will have an effect. sometimes I follow guidelines I find less than helpful just to make others feel less stressed and would do so without being threatened with the force of government. Certainly, any guideline that makes scientific sense I do not need a bureaucrat's threats to follow. We certainly do have an enormous amount of hubris in Washington and many statehouses. Their belief in their own infallibility, one bureaucrat in particular comes to mind, is narcissistic in the extreme.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟827,106.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Stating or implying that the 400 studies aren’t worth looking at because of who assembled them is a logical fallacy, specifically a genetic fallacy.

FWIW, I was stating that the summary presented by source was untrustworthy (because the source has already proved to be untrustworthy with respect to COVID-19 even within its short 6 month existence). I have no opinion on the studies themselves.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,726,104.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
FWIW, I was stating that the summary presented by source was untrustworthy (because the source has already proved to be untrustworthy with respect to COVID-19 even within its short 6 month existence). I have no opinion on the studies themselves.
The summary is really irrelevant.

Upvote 0