Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Don't you think leading the police on a high speed chase (not to mention putting the public at great risk in doing so), getting violent with the police and continuing to do so after being told in no uncertain terms to get down on the ground isn't going to escalate things? He had a long history of being violent, and it was being demonstrated once again.

I just knew a racist post was coming....
Let me get this straight.....he deserves to get beaten the way he did? That is professional police procedure and those who resist arrest should expect to receive such a beating brcause it's justified?

I ask the question about race because I want people to really search their heart and think about what their reaction would be if Rodney King were a clean cut blonde man. I think people deep down know how they would feel about it and I wonder if they would feel such a beating was so justifiable then.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟651,747.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Let me get this straight.....he deserves to get beaten the way he did? That is professional police procedure and those who resist arrest should expect to receive such a beating brcause it's justified?

I ask the question about race because I want people to really search their heart and think about what their reaction would be if Rodney King were a clean cut blonde man. I think people deep down know how they would feel about it and I wonder if they would feel such a beating was so justifiable then.

If the blonde white man would have done the things Rodney King did, leading police on a high speed chase and then violently resisting arrest for as long as he did--then yes, the blonde white person would no doubt be treated the same way. If you've ever watched COPS on TV, you'll see it all the time.

Upvote 0

BubbaJack

Dec 24, 2016
Deep South
✟27,403.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private

I would feel the same.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic

He evaded police, so that means you should not do things by the book... at least that's horrible logic we hear when it comes to police officers doing wrong. The only time you will hear criticism from the police can do no wrong crowd when they kill and bludgeon black people is when they make reforms to decrease such unethical practices.

Judging by their attitudes toward people like Cliven Bundy and his ilk, you can pretty much guess their response if the scenario were different.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟651,747.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
He evaded police, so that means you should not do things by the book... at least that's horrible logic we hear when it comes to police officers doing wrong. The only time you will hear criticism from the police can do no wrong crowd when they kill and bludgeon black people is when they make reforms to decrease such unethical practices.

I haven't heard any criticism from any such crowd when departments started mandating body cameras for the cops. That measure was in response to the allegations of abuse.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟346,981.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I live in the Chicago area and the gun violence really tells me this; strict gun laws, are not the answer to reducing gun violence.
Not necessarily true. Once you leave Cook County you can buy guns pretty easily. Even if the entire state had strong gun control laws, you could just go to north west Indiana and buy them. Strong gun control laws might very well be non-effective, but Chicago really isn't a good test case.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
58613971.jpg

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Here's your "Blow by blow":

You'll have to try a little harder than that.

Ok, then why don't you tell me exactly which part of that encounter constitutes an "attack" by Rodney King on the police, and how that attack preceded the police imparting violence on him? To be even more specific, which of the verbs used describe the attack?

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,067.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
This article is from October 6, 2015.

You might want to re-examine current issues in Chicago in light of what just occurred.

What difference do you think a year makes brin?. The same points are just as valid now.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,067.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
There are already organizations devoted to fighting crime.

Yup...they're called the police. Unfortunately, some groups are doing everything they can to make their jobs more difficult.

As for focusing on the actual problem, crime and poverty are not only linked to black lives, as we can see crime is higher among any poor people. Poor white people commit the same level of crime as poor black people, if you're going to demand that Black Lives Matter fight crime driven by poverty, where is your demand for other organizations, particularly those in rural areas that aren't looking to address the actual problem?

Actually...

Blacks commit disproportionately more violent crime than whites. You should know this by now, it's been mentioned to you many times already.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟651,747.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Ok, then why don't you tell me exactly which part of that encounter constitutes an "attack" by Rodney King on the police, and how that attack preceded the police imparting violence on him? To be even more specific, which of the verbs used describe the attack?

"When he arose and rushed toward one of the officers, they believed he was under the influence of the drug PCP."

"When King didn’t comply and the officer continued to advance in his direction, an LAPD sergeant on the scene who feared the incident might end in a shooting, took over the arrest."

"King, a large and muscular man, threw them off his back."

But of course we never saw any of this on TV because......

"The cameraman took it to a local television station, which edited it to 68 seconds, eliminating blurry footage that also omitted King’s charge at the officer."

Reactions: Uncle Siggy
Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
People that talk about crime in Chicago probably don't care about Chicago.

Why Black Lives Matter doesn't focus on 'black-on-black' crime

Crime in Chicago is not a matter of "bad black people," crime among poor people is higher (although lower for Hispanics). Linking crime and race is lazy and ignores "white-on-white" crime.

Household Poverty And Nonfatal Violent Victimization, 2008–2012
The problem is not black-on-black, it is poor-on-poor.

So it's only about skin color when other races are involved or the police?
But when it's black on black ,from gangs it is to be expected because of poverty?
So poverty kills not the other gangs?
If we would stop the racist agenda's and focus on the reasons like poverty and the lack of enterprise zones due to gang violence we may be able to make progress.
But we have to stop making excuses and blaming others for our actions.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
"When he arose and rushed toward one of the officers, they believed he was under the influence of the drug PCP."

"Rushed towards one of the officers" - I've already talked about this. It's visible in the video link I provided earlier. YOU CAN WATCH IT FOR YOURSELF. He does not attack anybody. He does not raise his hands to attack anybody. This "rush" consisted of about 1-2 steps (before he was taken down again) and it looked to me like he was merely trying to escape, though as I've already conceded, that's inconclusive. Either way, that was AFTER he had already been tazed. There's no possible way that you can argue that this "rush" constituted King attacking the police first.

"When King didn’t comply and the officer continued to advance in his direction, an LAPD sergeant on the scene who feared the incident might end in a shooting, took over the arrest."

Not complying with an order to lay on the ground does not constitute an attack.

"King, a large and muscular man, threw them off his back."

IOW, they were already on his back, which means they acted first. From the way this is described, that's a defensive move by King, not an attack.

But of course we never saw any of this on TV because......

"The cameraman took it to a local television station, which edited it to 68 seconds, eliminating blurry footage that also omitted King’s charge at the officer."

Dude, seriously? You didn't even bother to watch THE ENTIRE UNEDITED VIDEO THAT I POSTED EARLIER, did you? IT HAS THAT EXTRA 13 SECONDS. That's how I know what this "rush" looked like and that it doesn't support what you said.

Do us all a favor and take a few minutes to go back and watch the video. Here it is again:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟732,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
If the blonde white man would have done the things Rodney King did, leading police on a high speed chase and then violently resisting arrest for as long as he did--then yes, the blonde white person would no doubt be treated the same way. If you've ever watched COPS on TV, you'll see it all the time.
I've never seen any police officers on COPS initiate a beating like the one Rodney King received yet there were many cases of resisting arrest. In fact I can't even recall the last time I saw a police officer on COPS make use of their night stick (billy club or what have you) at all. On the programs I have witnessed, they employ take down maneuvers with the intent of placing the suspect in hand cuffs with as little injury as possiblt to themselves, the suspect,or by standers. In the case of Rodney King, it seemed the objective was to meet out some punishment in the formof "street justice" for not complying with the LAPD's orders.

We have a justice system in place with courts, lawyers, judges, and prisons, with the sole purpose of neeting out punishment for individuals that break the law. Police do mot have the right to issue and carryout a sentence of punishment right therein the street. It was clear the police were punishing King, not subduing him in order to get him safely in hand cuffs and into the justice system.

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟732,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
"Rushed towards one of the officers" - I've already talked about this. It's visible in the video link I provided earlier. YOU CAN WATCH IT FOR YOURSELF. He does not attack anybody. He does not raise his hands to attack anybody. This "rush" consisted of about 1-2 steps (before he was taken down again) and it looked to me like he was merely trying to escape, though as I've already conceded, that's inconclusive. Either way, that was AFTER he had already been tazed. There's no possible way that you can argue that this "rush" constituted King attacking the police first.

Not complying with an order to lay on the ground does not constitute an attack.

IOW, they were already on his back, which means they acted first. From the way this is described, that's a defensive move by King, not an attack.

Dude, seriously? You didn't even bother to watch THE ENTIRE UNEDITED VIDEO THAT I POSTED EARLIER, did you? IT HAS THAT EXTRA 13 SECONDS. That's how I know what this "rush" looked like and it doesn't support what you said.

Do us all a favor and take a few minutes to go back and watch the video. Here it is again:

It is painfully clear at 40 seconds in, he was laying on his belly and at 1 minute in, he laid on his belly for literally 7-10 seconds with no police officers attempting to get on top of him and handcuff him. They just continued to beat him until....I don't know what made them stop. Perhaps he was losing consciousness

If you've ever watched COPS on TV, you'll see it all the time.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Not necessarily true. Once you leave Cook County you can buy guns pretty easily. Even if the entire state had strong gun control laws, you could just go to north west Indiana and buy them. Strong gun control laws might very well be non-effective, but Chicago really isn't a good test case.

I really doubt, people who are using guns to kill other people, are buying guns legally in other counties. If there is demand for something, all you need is money to purchase guns on the black market, or just steal what you need.

We learned this a long time ago in regards to the war on drugs. Making something illegal, doesn't stop demand.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟346,981.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I really doubt, people who are using guns to kill other people, are buying guns legally in other counties. If there is demand for something, all you need is money to purchase guns on the black market, or just steal what you need.

We learned this a long time ago in regards to the war on drugs. Making something illegal, doesn't stop demand.
Yes because they are going to spend more money and risk being arrested by an UC cop buying a hot gun instead of just traveling one town over to buy a legal one.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yes because they are going to spend more money and risk being arrested by an UC cop buying a hot gun instead of just traveling one town over to buy a legal one.

The likelihood of who are buying these guns having a criminal record is quite high. They would not be able to legally buy a gun, one town over.

Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic
May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

And the nearby places where guns laws aren't as strict are safer than Chicago.

Upvote 0