More proof the bible is correct and modern science is a lie.

Do you believe the bible over science?

• Yes Always

• Yes Sometimes

• No Never

• No the bible is not literial.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
STELLAR PARALLAX-ABERRATION IS GEOCENTRIC

Prof. James Hanson

It will be noted that both the Copernican and geocentric models give the same form for the net angular deflection of starlight from the line of sight,

No it doesn't. In geocentrism, the Earth is stationary. This would not produce stellar parallax. What we need in order to produce the observed stellar parallax is for the Earth to move in an full arc with a radius of 93 million miles in just 6 months, and then return to the previous point in another semicircular arc in just 6 more months. That is the only way to explain stellar parallax.

para.gif

Parallax is extremely easy to demonstrate. All you need to do is find some distant objects, like a row of trees. Hold out your arm straight in front of you and stick out your thumb so that it is centered between your eyes. Close one eye at a time, and record where your thumb is in relation to the distant objects. You will see that your thumb moves back and forth in relation to the background objects. The Earth does the same becuase it moves in an orbit around the Sun, taking the position that your eyes take in the experiment above.

Upvote 0

RealityCheck

Senior Veteran
May 9, 2006
New York
✟23,538.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Ugh, yes. Proponents believe that our sun has a companion star that every so often swings in and causes massive destruction and disruption. Generally believed to be massive but not so massive that it would actually shine light. Or they have some other explanation as to why such a massive object that ought to radiate light can't be seen. It's held that it has a high-eccentricity orbit with our sun such that it spends most of its orbit about 1 to 2 light years away from the sun.

Yeah. You can guess just how seriously science ought to take such notions.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,907,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Ugh, yes. Proponents believe that our sun has a companion star that every so often swings in and causes massive destruction and disruption. Generally believed to be massive but not so massive that it would actually shine light. Or they have some other explanation as to why such a massive object that ought to radiate light can't be seen. It's held that it has a high-eccentricity orbit with our sun such that it spends most of its orbit about 1 to 2 light years away from the sun.

This is the first I've ever heard of this Nemesis; but after reading your post, Revelation's Wormwood comes to mind.

Revelation 8:10 And the third angel sounded, and there fell a great star from heaven, burning as it were a lamp, and it fell upon the third part of the rivers, and upon the fountains of waters;
Revelation 8:11 And the name of the star is called Wormwood: and the third part of the waters became wormwood; and many men died of the waters, because they were made bitter.

Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
This is the first I've ever heard of this Nemesis; but after reading your post, Revelation's Wormwood comes to mind.

Revelation 8:10 And the third angel sounded, and there fell a great star from heaven, burning as it were a lamp, and it fell upon the third part of the rivers, and upon the fountains of waters;
Revelation 8:11 And the name of the star is called Wormwood: and the third part of the waters became wormwood; and many men died of the waters, because they were made bitter.

Most people consider Wormwood to represent a comet or an asteroid though.

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Is this like that Nibiru gibberish they periodically come out with?

Upvote 0

Armoured

Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The what?
*sigh* I suggest you google it. No one can give a straight answer on what it is actually supposed to be with any sort of clarity beyond a celestial body, in some versions carrying aliens, in others angels, that sometimes orbits close to Earth and causes some sort of disaster. There's all sorts of tinfoil hat websites with ridiculous claims about it, all of which contradict each other, none of which explain simple basics like "why I can't see it with a telescope" or "how does something like this exist without violating orbital mechanics".

The tinfoil hat brigade claims it's mentioned in Babylonian tablets, which only makes it clear that they haven't actually read anything beyond what their woo merchants have provided, since in actual Babylonian sources, nibiru is actually an astronomical term, but it means "highest point of the ecliptic", and has nothing to do with eccentric, alien bearing planets that interact with the Earth every several thousand years.

Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
*sigh* I suggest you google it. No one can give a straight answer on what it is actually supposed to be with any sort of clarity beyond a celestial body, in some versions carrying aliens, in others angels, that sometimes orbits close to Earth and causes some sort of disaster. There's all sorts of tinfoil hat websites with ridiculous claims about it, all of which contradict each other, none of which explain simple basics like "why I can't see it with a telescope" or "how does something like this exist without violating orbital mechanics".

The tinfoil hat brigade claims it's mentioned in Babylonian tablets, which only makes it clear that they haven't actually read anything beyond what their woo merchants have provided, since in actual Babylonian sources, nibiru is actually an astronomical term, but it means "highest point of the ecliptic", and has nothing to do with eccentric, alien bearing planets that interact with the Earth every several thousand years.

Not into conspiracy theories or weird pseudoscience. Except perhaps cryptozoology, but mostly because I like to look at the neat drawings and pictures and laugh at the blatant fakes.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Zachariah Sitchin was the guy who really brought this codswallop into vogue.

Upvote 0

Armoured

Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Zachariah Sitchin was the guy who really brought this codswallop into vogue.
That's the one, but since him, it's rather taken on a life of it's own. Seriously, I googled it before and there are some bugtruck crazy sites and claims out there that I'm sure even Sitchin wouldn't recognise as related to his fantasy.

Erich "von" Daniken doesn't help either.

Upvote 0

RealityCheck

Senior Veteran
May 9, 2006
New York
✟23,538.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

I'm pretty sure that this is one inspiration for the Nibiru/Nemesis idea. Given that there are plenty of other apocalyptic writings out there, though, it could have multiple inspirations.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Armoured

Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'm pretty sure that this is one inspiration for the Nibiru/Nemesis idea. Given that there are plenty of other apocalyptic writings out there, though, it could have multiple inspirations.
some people certainly conflate the two. Whether theyare legitimately linked in "canon" mythology, however...

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟870,771.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Yeah, actually I think Nibiru and Nemesis are just different names for the same thing.

Not quite. Nemesis is an (admittedly out there no pun intended) hypothesis that earth's periodic extinctions are caused by a brown dwarf star passing near the earth. Nibiru is a supposed 12th planet that has a 3,600 year orbit and is associated with the Sumerian Annunaki popularized by Sitchin. Today it's advocates often talk about Planet X.
Nibiru cataclysm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(this article mentions the how some conflate the two)

Upvote 0

RealityCheck

Senior Veteran
May 9, 2006
New York
✟23,538.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Not quite. Nemesis is an (admittedly out there no pun intended) hypothesis that earth's periodic extinctions are caused by a brown dwarf star passing near the earth. Nibiru is a supposed 12th planet that has a 3,600 year orbit and is associated with the Sumerian Annunaki popularized by Sitchin. Today it's advocates often talk about Planet X.
Nibiru cataclysm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(this article mentions the how some conflate the two)

Oh right, that's why they sound so much alike.

Upvote 0

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟924,294.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
That's the one, but since him, it's rather taken on a life of it's own. Seriously, I googled it before and there are some bugtruck crazy sites and claims out there that I'm sure even Sitchin wouldn't recognise as related to his fantasy.

Erich "von" Daniken doesn't help either.

I think half the time these days it seems to be more informed by sci-fi/fantasy then even the weird misunderstandings of archaeology and astronomy.

Think of a mix of Species, the Omen and Star Gate and you won't be far off what is commonly believed by this crowd.

Upvote 0