cannot be known

Aug 25, 2016
westernwashington
✟7,866.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
if there were only 100 million people alive in the time of Jesus, and about the same number in the days of Moses.. then yes, its possible.

but its practically impossible to know how many were alive before the flood.

look at what humans have done in the last 150 years, most of the population growth is simply due to the discovery of coal and oil.

if the entire earth was a greenhouse, with billions of fruit trees.. (i wonder if most of the earths fruit trees have died out) then humans could reach a billion people in just 200 or 300 years, eating what grows of itself..

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
I heard that there are more people alive today right now, than all people who have ever existed and died. Do you believe their is any scriptural significance to this?
Is it a sign we are being gathered for the true Judgment?

First of all, what would scripture have to do with this question?

Secondly, the estimate is off by about a factor of ten. The following is from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_population#Number_of_humans_who_have_ever_lived

Estimates of the total number of humans who have ever lived range in the order of 100 billion. Estimates of this kind cannot hope to give more than the rough order of magnitude, as even modern population estimates are fraught with uncertainties of the order of 3% to 5%.[163] Kapitzka (1996) cites estimates ranging between 80 and 150 billion.[164]Another such estimate was prepared by Haub (1995), updated in 2002 and 2011; the 2011 figure was approximately 107 billion.[22][23][165] Haub characterized this figure as an estimate that required "selecting population sizes for different points from antiquity to the present and applying assumed birth rates to each period".[23]

The very small size of the world population in prehistoric times (as compared to its current size) facilitates this kind of estimate with regard to the semantic difficulty of deciding the precise meaning of "human" (in the context early Homo sapiens). More importantly, robust population data only exist for the last two or three centuries. Until the late 18th century, few governments had ever performed an accurate census. In many early attempts, such as in Ancient Egypt and the Persian Empire, the focus was on counting merely a subset of the population for purposes of taxation or military service.[166] Thus, there is a significant margin of error when estimating ancient global populations.

Another critical factor for such an estimate is the question of pre-modern infant mortality rates; these figures are very difficult to estimate for ancient times due to a lack of accurate records. Haub (1995) estimates that around 40% of those who have ever lived did not survive beyond their first birthday. Haub also stated that "life expectancy at birth probably averaged only about ten years for most of human history".[23]

Finally, I believe it to be intellectually, emotionally and spiritually unhealthy to live your life in constant expectation of the "end times". It is far better to live your life in such a way as to make this a better world, not just today but into the far distant future.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I heard that there are more people alive today right now, than all people who have ever existed and died. Do you believe their is any scriptural significance to this?
No.
(other than further confirmation, 'proof' if you will, that mankind, no matter how many, are full of evil designs, nothing good in society, and society is completely wicked, throughout the world, without hope apart from CHRIST)
No.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,474,808.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Finally, I believe it to be intellectually, emotionally and spiritually unhealthy to live your life in constant expectation of the "end times". It is far better to live your life in such a way as to make this a better world, not just today but into the far distant future.

We should expect the end times, but in Luke 12, Jesus tells us that the way to expect the end times is to be fully engaged in the task given by the Master when He does return. In other words, He should catch you in the middle of doing what you were supposed to be doing as though you weren't expecting Him.

Or, in another way, as alluded by Jesus, we should note the signs of the approaching end times the way a farmer notes the signs of approaching winter. He doesn't stop his work to contemplate that winter will come. Rather, he works all the harder to get in the harvest, knowing the time is short and the harvest is large. When the first snowflakes fall, they will fall upon him still in the fields striving to gather whatever is left.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
We should expect the end times, but in Luke 12, Jesus tells us that the way to expect the end times is to be fully engaged in the task given by the Master when He does return. In other words, He should catch you in the middle of doing what you were supposed to be doing as though you weren't expecting Him.

Or, in another way, as alluded by Jesus, we should note the signs of the approaching end times the way a farmer notes the signs of approaching winter. He doesn't stop his work to contemplate that winter will come. Rather, he works all the harder to get in the harvest, knowing the time is short and the harvest is large. When the first snowflakes fall, they will fall upon him still in the fields striving to gather whatever is left.

So you agree with me.

Upvote 0

eartheart

Nov 22, 2015
✟15,761.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Im sorry for the bad information, my apologies.
I know a few family members who are hoping the end is soon because of their disgust of the world, and I know it is wrong to wish for that great and terrible day of the lord.
One can feel so small in a vastly populated world.
God bless

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,294.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-16870579

Nope, wrong. There were already more than 7 billion people who died before 1 AD.

Reactions: eartheart
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

eartheart

Nov 22, 2015
✟15,761.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Nope, wrong. There were already more than 7 billion people who died before 1 AD.
Thanks for the article. I couldnt believe it at first anyway, its amazing how fast these lies spread, if it were true I would be led to believe perhaps that it is unprecedented, which btw, 7 billion really is.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,294.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Thanks for the article. I couldnt believe it at first anyway, its amazing how fast these lies spread, if it were true I would be led to believe perhaps that it is unprecedented, which btw, 7 billion really is.
If mankind ever takes for the stars and starts growing exponentially without any real limit, there will be a time when the number of humans alive grows over the number of humans dead, but that is far in the future and not feasible only on earth.

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Some persons have entirely ruined their lives by being fanatically in expectation of end times.

1. Some have foregone marriage
2. Sold businesses
3. Remained undereducated
4. Lived in poverty
5. Suffered unnecessary social stigma
6. Wasted unrecoverable time and youth

Then, when old age suddenly and inexplicably too quickly sets in and end times still hasn't arrived, their final years are spent in a state of constant, bitter regrets and recriminations.

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
If mankind ever takes for the stars and starts growing exponentially without any real limit, there will be a time when the number of humans alive grows over the number of humans dead, but that is far in the future and not feasible only on earth.
So approx how many humans have died?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,294.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
It says so in the link in my first post, 107 billion people have lived, approx.

Believers in the Bible as God's inspired Word must calculate in harmony with its chronology or else call the Chronology bogus and the Bible uninspired. We cannot have it both ways.

2 Corinthians 6:14

New International Versio
Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness?

2 Timothy 3:16

New International Versio
All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,294.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Believers in the Bible as God's inspired Word must calculate in harmony with its chronology or else call the Chronology bogus and the Bible uninspired. We cannot have it both ways.
Well, you can of course calculate with the earth being 6k years old. Doesn't mean that you're right, or that a majority of christians even agrees with you, but knock yourself out.

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Well, you can of course calculate with the earth being 6k years old. Doesn't mean that you're right, or that a majority of christians even agrees with you, but knock yourself out.
Why would it be knocking myself out?
Also, if a Christian doesn't trust Christ who honored Bible Chronology then how does that work within the context of being Christian? If I don't agree with Buddha, then how am I a Buddhist? Or if I disagree with Mohammed-how am I a Moslem? Doesn't make sense. Sorry! We can't have it both ways.

John 14:6
New International Version
Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth....

Luke 11:23
New International Version
"Whoever is not with me is against me, and whoever does not gather with me scatters.

Last edited:
Upvote 0