St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Some ideas are self-evidently ridiculous. What is water anyway?
Oxygen tightly bound to hydrogen and unavailable for use as a life-sustaining gas.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,720.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single

If you're thinking about the "O" in H2O, unfortunately, that "O" is bound to H2 cannot be used for respiration.

It's the free (unbound) oxygen molecules that fish use for respiration.

That's why aquariums are equipped with bubble generators to increase the amount of free oxygen in water.

Less oxygen, less fish, more jellyfish, happy Spongebob!

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,236,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
It's about dissolved oxygen in the water, O2 molecules that are typically present at about 5 parts per million in water. That's what fish need to survive. They cannot survive without that dissolved O2 in the water. So none of this is evidently rediculous. In fact there is a dead zone in the Gulf of Mexico where the Mississippi enters the Gulf. If NOLA were not polluting so much that would not exist. I don't know if the original poster is alarmist or not, but the poster is not evidently rediculous.

Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private

Ever wonder why aquariums require continuous surface water movement and/or air pumps?

It's to facilitate free oxygen transfer into the water so that fish can breath. Without which aquariums would become anoxic and fish would die.

• Agree
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I think it's tragic.

Runoff from agriculture is a significant cause of algae blooms in the ocean, which is part of the reason there are deadzones. The agricultural runoff contains alot of minerals and nutrients that algae require to thrive.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟432,650.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I'm not sure which is worse:

This question posed in honest ignorance (despite like a dozen links explaining it)... or posed in full knowledge but as a deliberate distraction from the issue at hand.

• Agree
Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

Al Touthentop

Nov 24, 2019
VENETA
Visit site
✟34,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian
If you're thinking about the "O" in H2O, unfortunately, that "O" is bound to H2 cannot be used for respiration.

It's the free (unbound) oxygen molecules that fish use for respiration.
I think it's tragic.

Runoff from agriculture is a significant cause of algae blooms in the ocean, which is part of the reason there are deadzones. The agricultural runoff contains alot of minerals and nutrients that algae require to thrive.

Well, it must be that the system is set up to provide the oxygen in some fashion, my ignorance not withstanding.

I am sure we are contributing to problems. No doubt about that.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,236,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Ever wonder why aquariums require continuous surface water movement and/or air pumps?

It's to facilitate free oxygen transfer into the water so that fish can breath. Without which aquariums would become anoxic and fish would die.
One of my aquaria relies only on plants for oxygen. In the daytime you can see tiny bubbles of excess oxygen coming off the plant leaves. By evening the O2 level is saturated. During the night some of the O2 is used by fish and plants, and it starts over the next day.

Point is a healthy aquatic environment does need dissolved oxygen or it will be a dead zone. Photosynthesis or surface agitation provide that. An excess of chemical or biological demand steal it away and make for an area hostile to life. Some of that can be avoided by cleaning up our act.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
One of my aquaria relies only on plants for oxygen. In the daytime you can see tiny bubbles of excess oxygen coming off the plant leaves. By evening the O2 level is saturated. During the night some of the O2 is used by fish and plants, and it starts over the next day.

True, a heavily planted tank with a reasonable bioload can self-sustain with no filter.

Out of curiosity what sort of tank set up do you have?

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,236,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
True, a heavily planted tank with a reasonable bioload can self-sustain with no filter.

Out of curiosity what sort of tank set up do you have?
55 gallon with two daylight LED and two soft white LED on 12 hours a day with a timer. No fancy light bulbs but just off the shelf stuff. Plants include a variety of swords, Anubias, hornwort, guppy grass, some duckweed, and I overwinter my water lilies in pots in the aquarium. In the summer the water lilies go outside in barrels of water placed in sunny spots. As for fish it is a one species tank with Ameca Splendens, a Mexican Goodeoid fish officially threatened (actually critically endangered) as it lives in only one part of one river that occasionally dries up. That's a story and a half in itself, but I got the fish through a local aquarium society and they are legal. We are trying to maintain a population among multiple aquariasts just in case they are wiped out in the wild. The fish are herbivores and feast on the guppy grass and duckweed and common fish foods.

I do have a small heating pad under the tank which helps plant growth. I have a filter on the back but don't use it. Also a CO2 injector, but when I don't use the power filter I don't need the additional CO2 either. It's nicely balanced, that is as long as the lights stay on. No algae to speak of because the plants grab the nutrients first. And the fish love common aquarium algae too.

Reactions: durangodawood
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums