Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Our faith grows, that's what progressive sanctification is all about!

We have what is called the "means of grace" that help us grow in this faith. You mentioned a few of them, but they are essentially this:

A daily reading and studying of the Scriptures.
A daily communing with God in private prayer.
A weekly gathering for fellowship with other like-minded believers.
A proper and diligent use of the sacraments.

Some argue there are more, but basically it is under these four means. A proper and diligent use of each of these will continually increase our love, our faith, our knowledge, our understanding, and of every grace. If you want to grow even more, spend more time reading and studying and praying. You can do these things in your private time. Visit different bible studies in town if you are able to, and other Christian group gatherings. The less you intake these means, the weaker you will become as a Christian. It doesn't mean if you do these things you will remain saved, our faith rest in Christ alone for that. But, these help us mature to manhood and live a life that is pleasing to God.

• Useful
Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,924,837.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
how does one have more faith and trust in the Lord?
I’m struggling with this.
I’m reading the scripture (a little every day) and praying every day.
I was just wondering your thoughts.
Hi Bipoloargirl, as the hymn says, "turn your eyes upon Jesus", ~always~ remembering who He is and what He did (and continues to do) for you .. and how much (therefore) He loves you :) All these things are especially important to hold on tightly to because remembering them allows us to continue to trust Him, and in His great promises to us (about our lives both now, as well in the age to come .. e.g. John 14:2-3; Romans 8:28), even when it seems like things are going from bad to worse for us in the moment.

And keep on doing what you are doing :oldthumbsup:, 1. growing in the knowledge and understanding of His word each day, and 2. praying (perhaps taking note of the Lord's answers to your prayers, both for yourself and for the others who you are praying for).

The One who saved you also promised that He would see you safely through this life to be with Him in Glory .. e.g. John 5:24, 10:27-28; Philippians 1:6, 2:13; Hebrews 7:25, and we need to trust/know that He is able to, and that He will do exactly that (Romans 4:20-21) .. knowing too that the "ride" along the way (our sanctification) isn't going to be easy some of the time.

God bless you!

--David

1 Thessalonians 5 (cf Jude 24-25)
23 May the God of peace Himself sanctify you entirely; and may your spirit and soul and body be preserved complete, without blame at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
24 Faithful is He who calls you, and He also will bring it to pass.

quote-our-vision-is-so-limited-we-can-hardly-imagine-a-love-that-does-not-show-itself-in-protection-elisabeth-elliot-48-18-34.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Are you talking with Jesus as you would a friend who is with you (He is with you all the time) and more importantly, are you listening to what Jesus through the Holy Spirit has to say?

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟215,955.00
Faith
Non-Denom

I guess I'd ask in what way are you saying having more faith? Many people even Jesus own disciples asked him the same and he never put too much emphasizes on the quantity they had. Yes he did say, "Oh you of little faith" in Matt 8:26 but we need to understand how it was meant.

FAITH is born from the word of God and simply your conviction that what God says is true. What would you say if someone asked you do you need more FAITH in your parents? Or your spouse? Now if your parents and spouse have always been credible and honorable you know how it impacts you if someone asks you if you need more faith in them.

You know they themselves would feel hurt or disappointed that you'd even have a question mark that you need faith in them. (assuming they've been good and honorable to you all your life) Well the same with God really. It's not generally more faith one needs but merely settling once and for all that God is credible and honorable and will keep his word.

I get the sense that you'd say for sure you believe God is good and honorable. So the GOOD NEWS I have to suggest to you is that YOU DO HAVE great faith in God. That's not arrogant for someone to say that either any more than it is for one to say they have great FAITH in their parents or spouse. (if again they've always been good) Well what did Jesus mean when he said to one, "Oh you of little faith". He basically was saying that they were not having faith in the goodness of his character. You see naturally speaking we may have a degree of faith in one but if they haven't always been good we may not be willing to have great faith in them at all. Or as one might say I have faith that they'll do this (maybe small thing) but no faith they'll do that. Sometimes one can trust another only so far.

We can however trust God totally! He always keeps his word. :prayer:

Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

You know what really helped me in my faith and made me trust The Lord 100 percent? That was reading the word spiritually to myself and seeing its words come true in my life.

Like Isaiah 55:6-13
Seek the Lord while he may be found;
call on him while he is near.
Let the wicked forsake their ways
and the unrighteous their thoughts.
Let them turn to the Lord, and he will have mercy on them,
and to our God, for he will freely pardon.

“For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways,”
declares the Lord.
“As the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways
and my thoughts than your thoughts.
As the rain and the snow
come down from heaven,
and do not return to it
without watering the earth
and making it bud and flourish,
so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater,
so is my word that goes out from my mouth:
It will not return to me empty,
but will accomplish what I desire
and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.

You will go out in joy
and be led forth in peace;
the mountains and hills
will burst into song before you,
and all the trees of the field
will clap their hands.
Instead of the thornbush will grow the juniper,
and instead of briers the myrtle will grow.
This will be for the Lord’s renown,
for an everlasting sign,
that will endure forever.”

To not just feel God when they going is good - for that can be deceiving - but to know God as The Living Word within whatever life brings. To serve a God who does as He says He does. Placing The Word inside of your life is more important than eating food. For it becomes like the Flying Scroll in Zechariah 5:1-4 exposing satan lying to us and stealing our good life

I looked again, and there before me was a flying scroll.

He asked me, “What do you see?”

I answered, “I see a flying scroll, twenty cubits long and ten cubits wide.

And he said to me, “This is the curse that is going out over the whole land; for according to what it says on one side, every thief will be banished, and according to what it says on the other, everyone who swears falsely will be banished. The Lord Almighty declares, ‘I will send it out, and it will enter the house of the thief and the house of anyone who swears falsely by my name. It will remain in that house and destroy it completely, both its timbers and its stones.’”

Honest The Word teaches us best how to battle our illness for example. The Living Word taught me to have faith in God's love even when i couldn't feel God's love. The Word taught me to understand that its message is very personal and that heeding the living word is the safest way to follow scripture.

The Living Word Saves
Meeting Jesus down in my deepest Pit
brought an end to all my inner pain
For lovingly The Word made me fit
to have my Good Life back again.

First The Farmer pulled up my weeds
digging up the dirt and rocks within me
then lovingly sowing His Good Seeds
in time harvesting me most abundantly!

Yes The Word's Voice in Spirit of Love
The Living Word brought me under His care
His love dwelling within me from up above
His everlasting Good Life with me to share.

So please do from your pit walk away
also farming His Good Life in your soul
finding New Life in God's Truth today
The LIVING WORD your constant goal.

One way i managed getting the word into me quickly was by buying music that sings Scripture to me. Scripture sung in good songs helps to memorise The Word like nothing any else can.

God bless you in your walk with Him.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Are you talking with Jesus as you would a friend who is with you (He is with you all the time) and more importantly, are you listening to what Jesus through the Holy Spirit has to say?
and most importantly always in perfect harmony with God's Word (Scripture). God NEVER contradicts Himself in Word, Plan, Purpose nor deed. Test everything by His Word. Always test the "spirits", messages (from people even from Apostles), by His Word.

Upvote 0