Northeast
✟101,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
My goodness, the Dunning-Kruger effect is really something.

A creationist recently wrote, emphasis mine:

"...For each favorable mutation, a species must go through about one thousand harmful mutations of that particular gene. So if you have a favorable mutation in one gene you're obviously going to have harmful ones in another..."​

I asked about 6 times over the course of a couple days for the creationist to support that amazing "genetics". She finally replied with:

"About 90 percent of DNA is thought to be non-functional, so those mutations have no effect. So, we have 10% functional DNA.
Mutations in this 10 percent can be neutral, beneficial, or harmful.
Probably less than half of the mutations to this 10 percent of DNA are neutral. Of the remainder, 999/1000 are harmful or fatal and the remainder may be beneficial. Source:" Remine, The Biotic Message"​

:scratch:
Wow.....

But I do like how one creationist dismisses the 'no junkDNA' position of other creationists, all depending on which argument they think they are making.

Frank Robert

Feb 18, 2021
KW
✟127,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"...For each favorable mutation, a species must go through about one thousand harmful mutations of that particular gene. So if you have a favorable mutation in one gene you're obviously going to have harmful ones in another..."
What creationists are ignoring is that selection is not random. I think it is more likely that they are pretending that selection does not exist as a cover to reject speciation.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What creationists are ignoring is that selection is not random. I think it is more likely that they are pretending that selection does not exist as a cover to reject speciation.
Everyone knows that selection is not random. That's why it's called selection.

Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,642.00
Faith
Atheist

"...For each favorable mutation, a species must go through about one thousand harmful mutations of that particular gene. So if you have a favorable mutation in one gene you're obviously going to have harmful ones in another..."​

I asked about 6 times over the course of a couple days for the creationist to support that amazing "genetics". She finally replied with:

"About 90 percent of DNA is thought to be non-functional, so those mutations have no effect. So, we have 10% functional DNA.
Probably less than half of the mutations to this 10 percent of DNA are neutral. Of the remainder, 999/1000 are harmful or fatal and the remainder may be beneficial. Source:" Remine, The Biotic Message"​

Wow.....

But I do like how one creationist dismisses the 'no junkDNA' position of other creationists, all depending on which argument they think they are making.
IIRC, Walter Remine is the guy that says sex could never evolve because passing on 50% of your genes isn't as good as passing on 100%... :doh:

Here's a geneticist's view of Remine's 'Message Theory' from 'The Biotic Message'.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: tas8831
Upvote 0

tas8831

May 5, 2017
Northeast
✟101,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
IIRC, Walter Remine is the guy that says sex could never evolve because passing on 50% of your genes isn't as good as passing on 100%... :doh:

Here's a geneticist's view of Remine's 'Message Theory' from 'The Biotic Message'.
Korthof's assessment is a good one. A little too generous, in my opinion.
I've encountered ReMine before. He used to show up on several News Groups under fake names and heap praise upon himself. Each time, however, his ego got the best of him and he would let slip that it was really him - typically by replying to negative comments about his claims with something like "You misrepresent me!" And each time he got caught, he would claim that he never claimed to be anyone else. Not even a good liar.

Upvote 0

tas8831

May 5, 2017
Northeast
✟101,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
That and the notion that a gene has to have had 1000 bad mutations before experiencing one is... well... crazy.

• Agree
Reactions: Frank Robert
Upvote 0

Frank Robert

Feb 18, 2021
KW
✟127,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That and the notion that a gene has to have had 1000 bad mutations before experiencing one is... well... crazy.
Right. They fail to accept that it doesn't the ratio between beneficial and bad mutations doesn't matter if only beneficial mutations are selected.

Upvote 0

tas8831

May 5, 2017
Northeast
✟101,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Wow.....

A shame that no YECs could come their brother's rescue, but then... they never can.

Upvote 0