Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hopefully, it doesn’t happen. Hopefully, we are never forced into a bad situation that requires us to rely on a firearm. However, if it ever does come to that, you need to know that you have the tools to put food on the table, keep predators at bay, and defend what is yours.

Thankfully, some of these tools are already available to you. I’ve put together a list of five of the most popular utility guns that are reliable, durable, and available on the market. When the going gets tough, these guns will not let you down, and they won’t break the bank either.

12 Gauge Shotgun

The Twelve Gauge is a firearm that should have a place in every home. If you have to choose just one gun, this is it.

The twelve-gauge is like a paint roller, it works in broad strokes. Ammunition is cheap and comes in a variety of options: bird-shot, buck-shot, and slugs.

For home defense, small game, pest control and all the way up to big game, the twelve-gauge has you covered.

Continued below.
5 Best Guns for Hunting, Self Defense and the Apocalypse - 19FortyFive

NerdGirl

The untamed daughter
Apr 14, 2020
USA
✟65,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I've never handled a gun and don't particularly ever want to. But I'm still going to read this because I like being educated and informed :) And I very much support other people utilizing their 2nd Amendment rights as they see fit.

Upvote 0

SigurdReginson

Aug 4, 2020
PNW
✟45,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I like my remington 700 .308 well enough. If I were to pick one for future apocalypse scenerios, I'd probably go 30-06, though. Useful, and popular round for a reason. Popular = easier rounds to find. Maybe that'll be the caliber I get next whenever I do buy another rifle. :)

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟791,405.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Hopefully, it doesn’t happen. Hopefully, we are never forced into a bad situation that requires us to rely on a firearm. However, if it ever does come to that, you need to know that you have the tools to put food on the table, keep predators at bay, and defend what is yours.

Thankfully, some of these tools are already available to you. I’ve put together a list of five of the most popular utility guns that are reliable, durable, and available on the market. When the going gets tough, these guns will not let you down, and they won’t break the bank either.

12 Gauge Shotgun

The Twelve Gauge is a firearm that should have a place in every home. If you have to choose just one gun, this is it.

The twelve-gauge is like a paint roller, it works in broad strokes. Ammunition is cheap and comes in a variety of options: bird-shot, buck-shot, and slugs.

For home defense, small game, pest control and all the way up to big game, the twelve-gauge has you covered.

Continued below.
5 Best Guns for Hunting, Self Defense and the Apocalypse - 19FortyFive
I jumped at the chance to say 12 gauge shotgun, but then I was disappointed to see that was your number one, effectively stealing all my powder! Well, at least I can add that I recommend semi-auto.

Most hunting situations, for me, at least, are at less than 100 yards, and my gun is accurate with rifled slugs to within an inch at 50 yards. What I like best about the shotgun is the fact that with the 2-3/4" shell, a large diameter slug moves at not much more than the optimum speed for all its energy to be absorbed by a large body. Also, (and this is just my reasoning, I haven't proved it) it seems to me a blunt projectile will not be as easily deflected by brush as the streamlined higher velocity rounds. But for those that want something faster, the 3" shell is remarkably stronger (with a remarkably stronger shoulder punch, too). My gun shoots both 2-3/4" and 3". I've never shot the 3-1/2" shell. I don't think I want to.

My biggest complaint with the shotgun is the limited number of shells it will hold, (four to six, including one chambered) which is fine for hunting, but not for war, I don't think. I have heard there are shotguns made for higher capacity removable magazines, but haven't seen any. A final note: with the twelve gauge with buckshot, at distance, there is no point to trying to stop a moving target without shooting center mass. You will not likely merely cripple the target by aiming at his legs. You will miss him, or severely damage him.

Upvote 0

Sif

Nov 11, 2015
Rocky Mountain Region
✟307,459.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Living in a rural and mountainous county but also sometimes having to visit the ore heavily urbanized areas of my state I have an assortment of firearms for various purposes. For self defense I do heavily rely on the extremely common 9x19mm and the 5.56 and 7.62 NATO as well as a 12 gauge shotgun using either 00 Buck or slugs.

For hunting I have a .30-06 and a .338. For backcountry hikes I use a .44 rem-mag but I have thought of switching to the 10mm for added capacity and better follow up shots (no ever thinks they'll miss)

Upvote 0

Palmfever

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2019
Hawaii
✟152,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status