• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Morality is objective, except when it isn't

Discussion in 'Christian Apologetics' started by Nihilist Virus, Feb 22, 2021.

1. Nihilist Virus

Nihilist Virus Infectious idea

+1,162
    Atheist
    Private
    "It is objectively wrong for X to kill a child."

Christians would normally agree until you point out that God killed hundreds of children in the Old Testament.

"But God knew they would grow up evil" or "But God knew they'd go straight to heaven" or "But God has a divine plan."

There are no "buts" when it comes to objective morality.

"It is objectively wrong for X to kill a child, unless X=God" is subjective morality because the morality of the statement is subject to what X is.

Christians understand that morality must be objective in their worldview because Jesus had to die. It was absolutely required with no exceptions. There was no other way for souls to be saved. This means that Jesus/God is/are subject to morality. But then that means that God committed evil acts by killing children.

The alternative is that morality is subject to God. God can do whatever he wants. That "solves" the child-killing problem, but raises a new problem. If God can do whatever he wants, then why did Jesus die on the cross? He could've just saved us all as an act of will.

Skipping to the end, there's no answer to this issue except to claim that I've presented a false dichotomy. These responses will be automatically ignored unless the third possibility is clearly and thoroughly defined and explained.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Hide The Pain

+6,010
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    It sounds like you're trying to present the Euthyphro Dilemma which is, indeed, a false dilemma. Moral reality is rooted in the character of God. God is not subject to a moral norm that is outside of himself because God is himself the moral norm. But God is also not arbitrary or whimsical in his commands because his commands are rooted in the reality of his eternal and unchanging character.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. Moral Orel

Moral Orel Proud Citizen of Moralton Supporter

+2,141
    United States
    Agnostic
    Married
    Can you define "moral norm" for me, please?

4. Tree of Life

+6,010
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    Moral standard of judgment.

5. SigurdReginson

SigurdReginson Active Member

+508
    United States
    Atheist
    Single
    Ick... Really? So because god has complete authority, he can do what he likes.

Not a fan of that explanation. o_O

6. Tree of Life

+6,010
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    God is not constrained by anything outside of himself and always does what is pleasing to him. Thankfully, what is pleasing to God and what is best for his creation perfectly coincide.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. SigurdReginson

+508
    United States
    Atheist
    Single
    Unless you're the Medianites I guess...

I feel that the explanation that "it's ok for god to do whatever he wants because he has complete authority" passes the buck of responsibility.

With even more responsibility comes an even higher standard, imo. Maybe I'm missing something...

8. Tree of Life

+6,010
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    God takes full responsibility for all his actions. To whom would he be passing the buck?

If there is a higher standard than God, then God would not be God. The higher standard would be God.

9. Nihilist Virus

+1,162
    Atheist
    Private
    I think you mean that God's actions and/or intentions are the moral norm (which would be bad, since he kills children). If I believe a law, or if I create a law for the whole world to follow, I am not that law. If I have 8 cats, I am not the number 8. If I am not my actions; I do my actions. I am not my properties; my properties are descriptive of me.

10. Nihilist Virus

+1,162
    Atheist
    Private
    Except for the vast majority of conscious souls going to hell forever?

11. Tree of Life

+6,010
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    God's character and God's will are the foundation of all legitimate moral norms.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  12. durangodawood

durangodawood Dis Member

+8,371
    United States
    Seeker
    Single
    How do we know that the character of God is good?

What if its just "ok"... or even "bad"? Then we'd be stuck with believers trying to be Ok or bad.

13. Tree of Life

+6,010
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    If you go to hell, you do so willingly. You don't have to.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  14. Tree of Life

+6,010
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    Similar to GE Moore's naturalistic fallacy, it actually makes no sense to ask whether or not God's will is good. It's like asking if "good" is good.

15. SigurdReginson

+508
    United States
    Atheist
    Single
    To shirk his responsibility because of his status as supreme being would be to shrug off all responsibility. He'd be passing the buck to whatever unlucky sap has to pick up the pieces. Namely; us.

The only standard we have to go on is the standard he gave us, and the standard he wrote onto our hearts, right?

I can't help but think that if he did something that I feel would repulse to think about doing myself, I have every right to feel repulsed at the thought of him doing that thing...

I'm not impressed.

16. Tree of Life

+6,010
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    How is it that God shirks responsibility?

It would not be strange if you find God's commands or actions personally offensive. Just because God offends us does not mean that God is wrong. Perhaps we are wrong. It would be strange if God appeared to violate his own commands. Is there such an instance of this?

17. durangodawood

durangodawood Dis Member

+8,371
    United States
    Seeker
    Single
    No need to blow up the word "good" here.

One can make a pretty solid naturalistic argument for "good" in terms of that which enables enduring human satisfaction.

18. Tree of Life

+6,010
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    This would be a different question. You may be asking "does God's will enable enduring human satisfaction?"

But we could also ask "is enabling enduring human satisfaction good?" Hence the naturalistic fallacy.

19. durangodawood

durangodawood Dis Member

+8,371
    United States
    Seeker
    Single
    I think thats what good is, at least partly. I mean, what else would it be? Certainly not some arbitrary who knows what.

20. Tree of Life

+6,010
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    So if that's what you think that good is, then you understand that it makes no sense to ask whether or not human satisfaction is good. Because, for you, these things are identical.

This is where I'm coming from with God's will. I do think it makes sense to ask whether human satisfaction is good. But I don't think that it makes sense to ask whether God's will is good. Because these things are identical.