Moralistic theraputic deism. What is it?

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,656,450.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Fr. Richard Heilman

It is the message preached from so many pulpits. It is the theological underpinning of universalism. It operates on 5 beliefs.

1) There is a God who created and ordered the earth and watches over human life on earth.

Okay, we can agree that God exists and created the earth. We believe He watches over us. This jibes with out faith.

2)God wants us to be good, fair, and kind to each other like the Bible says, and other religions.

Hear that? That would be the train coming off the rails, sliding down an embankment into a dry creek bed, and exploding!

Continued below.

Moralistic Therapeutic Deism. What Is It? - Roman Catholic Man

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟425,930.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I heard about this a two years ago, ironically from a Reformed podcast I listened to back then.

I would argue it's the religion that a lot of non-Catholic Millennials (and some Catholic Millennials) adhere to nowadays. Whether they believe it or not.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,656,450.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Absolutely. It is about ones ego really. Not the truth. It is kind of lazy imo.
I heard about this a two years ago, ironically from a Reformed podcast I listened to back then.

I would argue it's the religion that a lot of non-Catholic Millennials (and some Catholic Millennials) adhere to nowadays. Whether they believe it or not.

Upvote 0