Georgia
✟909,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
And "EVERY Sabbath" both Jews and Gentiles gather on Sabbath to hear more Gospel preaching in Acts 18:4

"Every Sabbath" for BOTH Jews AND Gentiles according to Acts 18

Which is missing the much-imagined "but then they started gathering on week day 1 for more gospel preaching instead of meeting every Sabbath in the synagogue for that Gospel preaching".

Was I simply "not supposed to notice"???

Not one text in the entire New Testament says "the Sabbath was a shadow" ... you would have quoted such at text by now if you had one.

---------
On the contrary - in Romans 14 "one man observes one day above another while another man observes every day.. he who observes the day observes it for the Lord".

He is speaking of the Bible approved annual holy days of Lev 23.

By contrast in Gal 4 Paul condemns the observance of even ONE pagan day.

Lev 23 annual holy days were shadows (predictions) of the Messiah. But Paul is not condemning anyone who observes them in Rom 14 he is flat out condemning anyone who would oppose the observance of them.

Rom 14
5 One person regards one day above another, another observes every day . Each person must be fully convinced in his own mind. 6 He who observes the day, observes it for the Lord, and he who eats, does so for the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who eats not, for the Lord he does not eat, and gives thanks to God. 7 For not one of us lives for himself, and not one dies for himself; 8 for if we live, we live for the Lord, or if we die, we die for the Lord; therefore whether we live or die, we are the Lord’s. 9 For to this end Christ died and lived again, that He might be Lord both of the dead and of the living.
10 But you, why do you judge your brother? Or you again, why do you regard your brother with contempt?

Paul himself observed Passover regarded as the first day of unleavened bread: Acts 20:6
He was known this way among Christian Jews:

Acts 21: 24 take them and purify yourself along with them, and pay their expenses so that they may shave their heads; and all will know that there is nothing to the things which they have been told about you, but that you yourself also walk orderly, keeping the Law.

By contrast in Gal 4 it is not Bible holy days - but pagan holy days being condemned where even the observance of one - was to risk salvation itself.

Gal 4
8 But then, indeed, when you did not know God, you served those which by nature are not gods. 9 But now after you have known God, or rather are known by God, how is it that you turn again to the weak and beggarly elements, to which you desire again to be in bondage? 10 You observe days and months and seasons and years. 11 I am afraid for you, lest I have labored for you in vain.

I strongly disagree with you

Is it "just the Bible texts" in that post you are responding to that you differ with?

I love the fact that this sort of conversation always ends with a great deal of "inconvenient Bible texts" posted by me...

Upvote 0

Danthemailman

Jul 18, 2017
Midwest
✟304,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is it "just the Bible texts" in that post you are responding to that you differ with?

I love the fact that this sort of conversation always ends with a great deal of "inconvenient Bible texts" posted by me...
No, it’s just your misinterpretation of those Bible texts that I disagree with. These kinds of conversations come to an end because some of us know when we are wasting our time beating a dead horse. Others are more interested in winning an argument at all costs, than they are in seriously considering the truth. For those types of people it’s just an ego trip and they are unable to see anything beyond their church indoctrination.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
No, it’s just your misinterpretation of those Bible texts

The mere quote of the text - was sufficient cause to give rise to your strong objection to it. I am ok with that as the final.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
This isn't my first conversation with a SDA.

And not my first conversation with someone who is not SDA.

And as I noted before a great many nonSDA scholars agree that all TEN of the TEN Commandments are written on the heart under the NEW Covenant.

The Baptist Confession of Faith,
the Westminster Confession of Faith ,
D.L. Moody,
R.C Sproul,
Matthew Henry,
Thomas Watson
Eastern Orthodox Catechism
The Catholic Catechism.

You may consider this to be "just so many inconvenient details to be ignored" in your "it is just SDAs" posts (as if that would fly on an SDA forum) but it matters to those paying attention to the details because it means all of your "just SDAs know that" retorts are not true when it comes to all TEN of God's TEN Commandments included in the moral law of God written on the heart.

I'm quite familiar with the Bible texts they quote

I am familiar with the ones I just quoted to you - that you are dismissing with all of that "just SDAs" nonsense. My point is that the mere quote of those texts can be SEEN on this thread to get the strong objection to them expressed in your response as soon as you see them.

Which is fine... you can go down that road if you wish. I prefer scripture.

But I am puzzled as to why you would come to an SDA forum to try that sort of thing out - as if SDAs would simply agree to your failed accusations... I find that curious.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
These kinds of conversations come to an end because some of us know when we are wasting our time beating a dead horse.

This thread topic is of interest to a number of Christians and your posts on this thread illustrate a few of the points I have been making... which means I find it very useful.

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
2 Corinthians 3:6 - who also made us sufficient as ministers of the new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life. 7 But if the ministry of death, written and engraved on stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not look steadily at the face of Moses because of the glory of his countenance, which glory was passing away, 8 how will the ministry of the Spirit not be more glorious? 9 For if the ministry of condemnation had glory, the ministry of righteousness exceeds much more in glory.

Fact. That is not merely ceremonial.

Since the entire old covenant has been made obsolete, does this leave us with no moral direction? Absolutely not. God made obsolete the old covenant to "put legally into place" the new covenant (2 Corinthians 3:6-9; Hebrews 8:13). The life of discipleship flows out of the new command, to love one another as He loved us (John 13:34), which Paul refers to as the "law of Christ" (Galatians 6:2). Love fulfills the law (Romans 13:8-10).

Fact. Out of this single command comes other commands, including references for the moral aspect of 9 of the 10 commandments which are reiterated under the new covenant, yet the command to keep the Sabbath day is not binding on Christians under the new covenant.

1. You shall have no other gods before Me. - Acts 14:15
2. You shall make no idols. - 1 John 5:21
3. You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain. - 1 Timothy 6:1; James 2:7; James 5:12
4. Keep the Sabbath day holy. - Not binding on the Church - Colossians 2:16-17
5. Honor your father and your mother. - Ephesians 6:1-2
6. You shall not murder. - Romans 13:9-10; 1 John 3:15
7. You shall not commit adultery. - Romans 13:9-10; 1 Corinthians 6:9-10
8. You shall not steal. - Romans 13:9-10; Ephesians 4:28
9. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor. - Romans 13:9-10; Colossians 13:9-10
10. You shall not covet. - Romans 13:9-10; Ephesians 5:3

I disagree that the entire Old Testament is ( obsolete)
We have a better Coveanut through Christ in our atonement through His Blood.
God would be obsolete if His Word was.
Malachi 3: 6. For I am the LORD, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed.
Through Christ ,the Law of Moses was fulfilled.
His Blood paid for all sin, God needs no sacarfice from us.
God's nature is revealed in the Old Testament, as well it is a prophetic vision pointing to Christ.
The Old Testament, shows us the promise of God for all Nations.
By Abrahams promise, as well as Noahs declaration that the sons of Japeth would abide in the tents with the sons of Shem.
This is our origin, and our eternal destiny.
God has not changed, nor His Word.
Understanding our beginning and the great day of the Lord is contained in the Old Testament.
There are dispensationist who believe in only the Pauline Epistles are for Gentiles Today.
You lose a lot of knowlage by tossing half of Gods Word.

Galatians 3: 8. And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed. 9. So then they which be of faith are blessed with faithful Abraham. 10. For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them. 11. But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith. 12. And the law is not of faith: but, The man that doeth them shall live in them. 13. Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree: 14. That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith. 15. Brethren, I speak after the manner of men; Though it be but a man's covenant, yet if it be confirmed, no man disannulleth, or addeth thereto. 16. Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ. 17. And this I say, that the covenant, that was confirmed before of God in Christ, the law, which was four hundred and thirty years after, cannot disannul, that it should make the promise of none effect. 18. For if the inheritance be of the law, it is no more of promise: but God gave it to Abraham by promise. 19. Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator. 20. Now a mediator is not a mediator of one, but God is one. 21. Is the law then against the promises of God? God forbid: for if there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have been by the law. 22. But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe. 23. But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed. 24. Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith. 25. But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster. 26. For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus. 27. For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ. 28. There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus. 29. And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

• Winner
Reactions: BobRyan
Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
There is a big difference between the narritive of all creation, and the proprietary Law of Moses.
God's Law is immutable , unchanging .
The Law of Moses , was fulfilled by the Grace of God.
There were sanitary laws , in the Law of Moses ,that are not sin to keep.
Romans 14 gives us a outline as to keeping a vow to God.
We still rest on our seventh day, you can debate if it's Saturday or Sunday .
I personally believe we set aside we set aside, a day of rest and worship to honor ,and be obedient to God.
Tithing was before the Law , it is God's unchanging Law.
Before Israel was a Nation we have ,Jacob at Bethel and Abraham both doing so.

The only harm is to call what God has blessed unclean.

Reactions: BobRyan
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I disagree that the entire Old Testament is ( obsolete)
We have a better Coveanut through Christ in our atonement through His Blood.
God would be obsolete if His Word was.
Malachi 3: 6. For I am the LORD, I change not; .

Indeed - the very nature of God Himself is an argument against deleting scripture. It is no wonder then that the NT writers quote the OT so often and in Luke 24 the writer tells us many years later "27 Then beginning with Moses and with all the prophets, He explained to them the things concerning Himself in all the Scriptures." -- instead of "in all the deleted scriptures"

In Acts 17:11 "they studied the scriptures daily to see IF those things spoken to them by Paul - were so" rather than "they studied all the abolished deleted no-longer-matter scriptures daily"

2 Tim 3:16-17 "ALL scripture is given by inspiration from God AND is to be used for doctrine, correction .." instead of "all scripture is deleted and no longer to be used for doctrine".

Mark 7 "in vain do they worship Me teaching for doctrine the commandments of men" Matt 15 -- as contrasted to "the Word of God" also called "the Commandment" and also called "Moses said" in Mark 7:6-13

Reactions: now faith
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Indeed - the very nature of God Himself is an argument against deleting scripture. It is no wonder then that the NT writers quote the OT so often and in Luke 24 the writer tells us many years later "27 Then beginning with Moses and with all the prophets, He explained to them the things concerning Himself in all the Scriptures." -- instead of "in all the deleted scriptures"

In Acts 17:11 "they studied the scriptures daily to see IF those things spoken to them by Paul - were so" rather than "they studied all the abolished deleted no-longer-matter scriptures daily"

2 Tim 3:16-17 "ALL scripture is given by inspiration from God AND is to be used for doctrine, correction .." instead of "all scripture is deleted and no longer to be used for doctrine".

Mark 7 "in vain do they worship Me teaching for doctrine the commandments of men" Matt 15 -- as contrasted to "the Word of God" also called "the Commandment" and also called "Moses said" in Mark 7:6-13
Indeed. The whole gospel is included in the OT scriptures if you know where and HOW to look. Paul himself affirms this:

1 Corinthians 15:2
For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received, that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4 and that He was buried, and that He was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures,​

The only scriptures extant when he wrote this was the OT.

Reactions: now faith
Upvote 0